It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• huge setback with splint therapy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2004, 02:59 PM   #1
    saaraah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

saaraah HB User
    huge setback with splint therapy

i am in the midst of a terrible migraine right now, and im incredibly miserable both physically and emotionally.

this past week, ive had a migraine every day as well as piercing pain in either my right or left temple [never at the same time]. as well, my right TMJ has been aching, and my muscular pain is semi-coming back.

2 weeks ago, i went on a cruise to the caribbean, and i felt fine -- i felt just like i did for the past 5 months during my splint therapy. the day after i got home [sunday], tho, i got a bad migraine and it's been like that ever since.

note: during the past 5 months of splint therapy, i havent had any muscular pain in my masseter or SCMs. as well, i'd have a migraine about 1-2 times a week, but i still had a 'normal' headache almost every day.

i guess what im trying to do is get some support, advice, or anything because i feel terrible right now. my next appointment with my dentist is on march 9th, but the thing is that i dont 'feel' like i need my splint adjusted. i dont know what to do, and im getting incredibly scared that ive wasted a ton of money and that all of my symptoms are coming back to stay.

*sigh*

- saaraah.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
    TiffanyAnn
    Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
    Re: huge setback with splint therapy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saaraah
    i am in the midst of a terrible migraine right now, and im incredibly miserable both physically and emotionally.

this past week, ive had a migraine every day as well as piercing pain in either my right or left temple [never at the same time]. as well, my right TMJ has been aching, and my muscular pain is semi-coming back.

2 weeks ago, i went on a cruise to the caribbean, and i felt fine -- i felt just like i did for the past 5 months during my splint therapy. the day after i got home [sunday], tho, i got a bad migraine and it's been like that ever since.

note: during the past 5 months of splint therapy, i havent had any muscular pain in my masseter or SCMs. as well, i'd have a migraine about 1-2 times a week, but i still had a 'normal' headache almost every day.

i guess what im trying to do is get some support, advice, or anything because i feel terrible right now. my next appointment with my dentist is on march 9th, but the thing is that i dont 'feel' like i need my splint adjusted. i dont know what to do, and im getting incredibly scared that ive wasted a ton of money and that all of my symptoms are coming back to stay.

*sigh*

- saaraah.
    Hi:
    I've been in my splint for almost 6 months now. I had a huge set back last September. The setback you are describing sounds almost exactly like the one I had. It took me 5 to 7 days to get over it and I haven't had any problems since that time. So, don't give up the hope ok. I was terribly worried as well.
    Tiffany

Old 02-22-2004, 08:16 PM   #3
    Arleen
    Senior Veteran

Arleen HB User

Hi Saaraah:

Have you talked with the dentist or his assistant? Perhaps they could give you some idea of whether this is normal or what they think is happening. Maybe if they know how bad your symptoms are, they'll fit you in earlier? Even though you don't feel like you need an adjustment, perhaps your muscles are releasing, or things are moving and that's causing the problems. Don't give up hope yet. I know it's easier said than done, especially during a bad spell. But you've felt pretty good for the last 5 months, so hopefully you'll be that way again.

Take care.

Old 02-23-2004, 05:33 AM   #4
    saaraah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

saaraah HB User

thanks for the replies, everyone. it means a lot to me.

im actually wondering if all of this has nothing to do with my TMJD. since i just got back from the caribbean, im wondering if i picked up something [i was in 4 countries - mexico, jamaica, grand cayman islands, and haiti]. i also have dizziness, nausea, vomitting, muscle aches all over, and general unwell feeling. im kind of scared, so im going to try to get an appointment to see if i do have a disease because this doesnt seem like a 'simple' migraine/TMJD problem, you know?

wish me luck.

- saaraah.

Closed Thread