It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• throat pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2004, 02:00 PM   #1
    springbreak
    (female)

springbreak HB User
    throat pain

does anybody feel that the l0nger you go without eating anything, the harder it is to swallow food aftewards?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2004, 08:05 AM   #2
    klmarshall

klmarshall HB User
    Re: throat pain

I haven't noticed that, but I did have a sore throat quite a bit with the TMJ. I asked my doctor about it and he was able to trigger it by pressing the inside of my mouth under my right molars. He won me over right then as being a knowledgeable tmj doctor. He was also able to explain logically the treatments he was giving me - splint therapy and told me right off that if it didn't work, I would probably have to consider arthroscopic surgery to knock my condyle loose. - That is where I'm headed Friday, For a surgical consult. I will let everyone know how it goes. -Gabi

Old 04-22-2004, 11:31 PM   #3
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

When mine started up I thought it was a sore throat but did not feel like a regular sore throat. I then realized it wasn't, it was the roof of my mouth hurting on that side where the tmj is the worst. It would hurt everytime I swallowed. I got to where I was drinking milkshakes only so I wouldn't have to chew or swallow anything that hurt.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:56 PM   #4
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Is a sore throat or irritation really a part of TMJ? How is that? Also, do you all experience reall mild pain but you know its there? I can't really pinpoint to where my is sometimes and my left ear (which I have TMJ on my RIGHT side...go figure) will just mildly hurt. So, frustrating! Don't know where to put the heatin' pad!!!

Old 04-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
    DebraL

DebraL HB User

hmmm this is all interesting to me as I am trying to figure things out. The 'trigger' point klmarshall mentioned are sort of where my pain is...my jawbone hurts to touch inside my mouth just behind and above my back (bottom) molars..and yes, I have vague pain that I can't tell if it's behind my ear, back of my head, upper neck....it just aches...and I have that feeling of something in my throat and had the scope done just for peace of mind...ENT says acid reflux but also winced at my loudly popping jaw..some of BOTH, perhaps?

Old 04-23-2004, 05:55 PM   #6
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Do your sinuses ever hurt a little?

Old 04-24-2004, 12:54 AM   #7
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DebraL
    hmmm this is all interesting to me as I am trying to figure things out. The 'trigger' point klmarshall mentioned are sort of where my pain is...my jawbone hurts to touch inside my mouth just behind and above my back (bottom) molars..and yes, I have vague pain that I can't tell if it's behind my ear, back of my head, upper neck....it just aches...and I have that feeling of something in my throat and had the scope done just for peace of mind...ENT says acid reflux but also winced at my loudly popping jaw..some of BOTH, perhaps?
    Before I was diagnosed with TMJ (also have anxiety, depression & obsessive worrying) I had the lump sensation too. It was hard to pinpoint where in my throat it hurt. I finally felt around with my tongue & realized that it was the soft tissue at the back of the roof of my mouth & then down my throat from there. Not a sore throat like a scratchy throat, I kept telling my husband it was like the tissue was sore & it was. I also have had pain in my glands down my neck, under my chin & all along the jawbone from just under my ear.
    My gums on that side inside my mouth will swell too when I have a flare up.
    I had the scope too, I also have acid reflux but since being on nexium for it, I don't have the lump sensation anymore, but it actually left once my tmj was under control. I imagined (for over a year) every disease & read about all kinds of things, I was totally in a panic for months til they diagnosed TMJ.

Old 04-24-2004, 07:14 AM   #8
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

I too have had the lump in my throat feeling. I was sure I had a tumor down there because of how big it felt, of course nothing was there. I have also had a shooting pain when I swallow that will go down my throat, into my chest and up into my ears and jaw, very strange. I have a very sore throat right now on my right side and my main tmj problem is on my left side. I looked in the mirror for redness like a "sick" sore throat but it looks fine.

singer: My right ear is the one that gives me all of the problems. It is always clogged, stuffy, itchy and painful but my tmj problem is my left side.

Debra: I had acid reflux really bad and finally got put on Prevacid. I haven't had any problems with that for over a year now and it did make a difference in that kind of a sore throat.. hahahaha I have so many sore throats it is like a waiting game to see which one is from actually being sick! errrh

Karen

Old 04-26-2004, 12:27 PM   #9
    Aidansmom

Aidansmom HB User

Wow. I do have sore throats from time to time and for the past week have really felt like I have a lump deep in my throat. It happens once in a while, but never for a week straight. I can't believe this can be from my tmj as well.

Closed Thread