It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• OMG raise the flag.. a small miracle

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2004, 10:58 AM   #1
    8MileSky
    (female)

8MileSky HB User
    OMG raise the flag.. a small miracle

I had a follow up with my GP today ... he got the report from my MRI of the TMJ... he said it showed there was water in the joint, which was nothing serious it was just inflamation.. but HELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO there is my ear fullness ...

then he was pressing all over me and i had some painful spots that he said could be triggered from tmj.

he basically gave me a full physical which was more than he has ever done.

but he basically agreed that my dizziness and constant spaced out feeling is from TMJ... it was just 2 weeks ago that he thought my dentist was CRAZY lol.

i tell ya drs are wacked.

Oh and he also told me to ignore the neurotologist about the low sodium diet cause my blood pressure was low. goes to show u it aint meneirs disease. I mean i eat low salt and nothing changes as when i eat normal.

my cheek bones and jaws feel so tight. no pain just real tight like they are packed with cotton or something. back of my head too.

i tell ya.. some of you will probably kill me for saying this but... i will trade with any one of u... pain for the dizzy spaced out feeling. I would take pain any day over this feeling... at least with pain in my jaw i can pick my daughter up and roll on the floor with her and take her to the park... and even change her diaper!

Any one wanna trade? lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
    CherylL24
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CherylL24 HB UserCherylL24 HB UserCherylL24 HB User
    Re: OMG raise the flag.. a small miracle

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8MileSky
    I had a follow up with my GP today ... he got the report from my MRI of the TMJ... he said it showed there was water in the joint, which was nothing serious it was just inflamation.. but HELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO there is my ear fullness ...

then he was pressing all over me and i had some painful spots that he said could be triggered from tmj.

but he basically agreed that my dizziness and constant spaced out feeling is from TMJ... it was just 2 weeks ago that he thought my dentist was CRAZY lol.

Oh and he also told me to ignore the neurotologist about the low sodium diet cause my blood pressure was low. goes to show u it aint meneirs disease. I mean i eat low salt and nothing changes as when i eat normal.

my cheek bones and jaws feel so tight. no pain just real tight like they are packed with cotton or something. back of my head too.

i tell ya.. some of you will probably kill me for saying this but... i will trade with any one of u... pain for the dizzy spaced out feeling. I would take pain any day over this feeling... at least with pain in my jaw i can pick my daughter up and roll on the floor with her and take her to the park... and even change her diaper!

Any one wanna trade? lol

I have a kid dealing with this mess for over a year and a half. It all began while he was in middle school in braces. For the past year, he's had pain that nothing has been able to touch, constant headache, tinnitus, ear fullness, dizziness, neck/back pain, and the list goes on. He's gone to Physical Therapy, Massotherapy, seen a Chiropractor and too many doctors and dentists to name. He's currently on splint #8 and still sees no relief. He only wants to feel normal and do what all of the other kids do. As his Mother, it kills me to see him hurt. I think he'd be THRILLED to be in your shoes......I know that I would.
    Cheryl

Old 06-04-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
    8MileSky
    (female)

8MileSky HB User

Im sorry you have to watch your child go thru all that. I in no way meant to belittle the condition of TMJ

I have a little girl who was only 11 months old when i was struck with this constant dizzy/ spacyness. I havent held her or played with her or changed her diaper in 10 weeks in 2 days. i cant even look at her too long cause her movement makes me nauseous. My mother has become a full time grandmother to her...

I missed her first b-day cause i was too dizzy to get up and walk ... she is starting to walk and talk and i cant be a part of that. I am missing so much of her life. so when i said i would trade.. that is what i meant.

At least with a clear head i can interact with my own child ...

i see my mom or my husband pick her up and play with her and it breaks my heart... i cry all the time cause i waited a whole life to be a mom and now i cant be.

so please dont think i was making light of TMJ

Old 06-04-2004, 12:28 PM   #4
    Al4

Al4 HB User

Cheryl,

I am so sorry the teenager is still having all the symptoms you listed. Too many to deal with. There has to be somebody in this big country (US) that can help him. It is just so difficult to find one and trust them. I hope you can find somebody. I am searching myself. I will pass along info if I find someone with proven success. Have you reported the braces dentist to the dental board? Have you considered taking him to court? Good luck.

Alex

Old 06-04-2004, 12:33 PM   #5
    Mosmom
    (female)

Mosmom HB User

Cheryl,
    You son and my daughter are about the same age I would guess. Her symptoms are not near as severe as your son's. My heart aches for you - truly. There is nothing more difficult than seeing your child in pain. What area of the country do you live in?

Mo's mom

Old 06-04-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
    kellywoo

kellywoo HB User

What I would do to just have the dizziness, nausea & Vertigo back. Don't wish for pain, it is awful, awful, awful pain! I was finishing brushing my teeth last night and all of the sudden, terrible, sharp pain in front and behind my ear.... I was using the sonic tooth brush. I was buckled over the bathroom sink in such terrible pain. I have the dizziness, nausea and vertigo as well, but I would do anything not to have this pain. I can not lift heavy things, I can not bend over, without this sharp pain and the swelling. Get to a dr/dentist who knows how to properly treat TMJ, with the correct treatment they can help you. My sharp pain began after bad treatment, what I would do to go back to where I was pre bad treatment. What I would do.

Find someone who really, really, really knows how to treat TMJ with references for you to speak to. They must be WELL educated, many years of treating this disorder, to help you.

Good luck
    Kellywoo

Old 06-04-2004, 02:43 PM   #7
    plkelly
    (female)

plkelly HB User

I quit using the sonic toothbrush, also the water-pik. Something about the action really would set off bad attacks for me.
    And I really think people should lighten up on 8MileSky--if we don't keep some sense of humor, none of us will ever get through this!
    Patsy

Old 06-04-2004, 02:58 PM   #8
    Cymy Sue
    Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User

Hello 8,

You're right, good Doctors are hard to find. I've had many years of experiece dealing with the idiocy of trying to find answers.
    It sounds like you may have some mild symptoms related to the TM joint.
    Normally, you would have had more severe symptoms that could have been diganosed as a true TM joint problem before these ear related symptoms hit so quickly.

You might want to check into some other possibilities that Doctors sometimes miss or dismiss. I would assume they have made sure your sinuses are clear and not affected.
    Sinus problems can present with most of these symptoms, even the jaw tightness & pain.

Post-Partum Depression can cause emotional as well as very real physical symptoms.

Low blood pressure can be as serious as High blood pressure. With a low BP, your blood volume is low, your heart pumps harder and many times not enough blood reaches your head. This will cause dizziness, nausea, and sometimes affect your ears. You're not getting enough oxygen rich blood to these area's. I've had some mild hearing loss when my BP gets too low, due to affected circulation that causes fullness.

Thyroid problems will cause these symptoms. (A little known fact)

Medications can have a "paradox" affect and cause the symptoms they are prescibed to help. Klonopin is notorious for causing dizziness and nausea.

Anxiety & panic will cause dizziness, rapid heartbeat, faintness & fainting (with low BP), muscle tension in the head, neck, and upper back. With this muscle tension, the ears can be affected. Many other symptoms as well.

Just some thoughts to help you in your search for help with your ear symptoms. You may be surprised what could be causing them.

These are a few of the problems I've been checked for in the past 27 years of dealing with TMJD. More than half my life..... 7 TM joint related surgeries, left with nothing that functions as normal joints and surgical damage to the nerves, muscles and alterations to my bone structure that can not (ever) be repaired. I've suffered with the ear symptoms, as well as all others that you could imagine and probably not imagine, for the majority of this time, plus the trauma of botched surgeries that never ends.
    I think I have an idea of what you've gone through for a couple of months.
    Aside from one. No Post-Partum Depression. I am childless, not by choice. I was diagnosed with TMJD when I was 25 and at 51, with ovaries removed at 45 due to ovarian cancer, it's a little late. (my niece went though it and she had some wierd symptoms for a while)

By the way, my history with TMJD does not touch the horror of some of the people I know and a few, who have in the past made some posts here. They have had many more surgeries, defective implants and many, with no hope for help, EVER. Most of them are too sick now to even sit at a computer and communicate with people for support.

I consider myself very fortunate in light of their conditions.
    Good luck,
    Cymy Sue

Cheryl, as always, my hopes and prayers.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:57 PM   #9
    dajones

dajones HB User
    Re: OMG raise *** flag.. a small miracle

Hey 8, we chatted last week when you responded to my post. This week I have been stricken with bell's palsy. It started on Monday with extreme ear pain and dizziness. Thank GOd its not too bad or serious, I am taking prednizone. Once this clears up I can get back to trying to find out about my tmj probs. I am glad you got an answer, I too, know *** pain ** searching and feeling lost and feeling tossed around by doctors. Good luck to you! dajones

Old 06-04-2004, 06:50 PM   #10
    Lexusteel

Lexusteel HB User
    Re: OMG raise *** flag.. a small miracle

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dajones
    Hey 8, we chatted last week when you responded to my post. This week I have been stricken with bell's palsy. It started on Monday with extreme ear pain and dizziness. Thank GOd its not too bad or serious, I am taking prednizone. Once this clears up I can get back to trying to find out about my tmj probs. I am glad you got an answer, I too, know *** pain ** searching and feeling lost and feeling tossed around by doctors. Good luck to you! dajones
    My husband had Bell's Palsey it took about 6 months but it cleared up. It's another one of those things they don't know what is caused by good luck with it

Raquel

Old 06-04-2004, 07:25 PM   #11
    BLACKdragon78

BLACKdragon78 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: OMG raise the flag.. a small miracle

8MileSky,
    WOW, I would be happy to change shoes with you. Right now I've done just that. I've tried several different pain medications, none of which work, no matter how high the dose. Movement irritates the pain so I have to stay in bed most of the time and yes, being at the computer hurts hurts hurts but I appreciate the support and info. Touching any of the muscles for instance in my leg, shoots pain up to my jaw and radiates pressure throughout my face and intensifies the sharp pain in my joints. THis is all on the right side of my body so im pretty sure that its due to my jaw and the right side of my neck is swollen, but however, may be it is arthritis??? I am now on neurontin which I've taken before but quit because it made me dizzy . I've come to the realization that I would rather be dizzy a million times over than have this pain. I wish you luck! hope u feel better.

Last edited by BLACKdragon78; 06-04-2004 at 07:34 PM.

Old 06-04-2004, 07:38 PM   #12
    Lexusteel

Lexusteel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8MileSky

Any one wanna trade? lol
    Honey I would trade with you in a milisecond!!! this tooth and ear pain is unbearable and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I don't enjoy life anymore and quite frankly would rather be [COLOR=DarkRed]Dead
    so I'll take dizziness anyday!
    Sheila
    Starr & Samantha the MEOW boxes

Old 06-05-2004, 12:49 AM   #13
    CherylL24
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CherylL24 HB UserCherylL24 HB UserCherylL24 HB User

Alex,

No, I haven't reported the orthodontist to the dental board, for now anyway. Since the ADA/NIH doesn't feel that orthodontics can cause TMJD, I feel it's sort of a waste of time. As for legal recourse, I haven't considered that either, due to my last statement. If 'surgicals' have no legal recourse, than who does? Exactly.....no one. Sadly enough, things are too hard to prove whether it's medical or dental. Your symptoms, (as well as my kid's) came on rather abruptly, if I'm remembering correctly. I feel for the both of you. I've been told by several professionals that this is his 'new' life. I don't accept that, nor will I ever. This can and will be treated appropriately, as soon as I can find someone competant enough to do so. Thank you for your offer of passing on any info to me, should you find someone good. I'll do the same. I do feel that the both of you will be painfree and happy in the future, it may take some time.....but it will come.

Mo's mom,

I know that you understand completely how I feel. It does sound that our kids are about the same age. I've often read your posts concerning your daughter with great interest. I live by the Great Lakes.

Thank you all for your supportive thoughts, I appreciate them.

Cymy Sue......You're in my Prayers, as always. You're such a genius on the subject, I think you'd have the ability to make us all well. We should save up all of our cash that we've been wasting for so long and build you a splint lab in your basement! You've been through hell and back with this mess and are finally well. I'm happy for you. You're presence here provides me with hope. Hope, that one day life will be good.

Quote from Lexusteel:"Honey I would trade with you in a milisecond!!! this tooth and ear pain is unbearable and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I don't enjoy life anymore and quite frankly would rather be [COLOR=DarkRed]Dead
    so I'll take dizziness anyday!"

I couldn't have said it better, myself.

Take Care,
    Cheryl

Old 06-05-2004, 05:35 AM   #14
    Cymy Sue
    Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User

Cheryl,
    If (only) I was younger and know what I know now............................
    I've had a lot of time to read, research and "hard lessons" of experience.

You've given me a great compliment and I Thank-you.

Please let me add, I was almost hopeless when I found Healthboards and this TMJ Forum almost 2 years ago.
    (I was hopeless)

I am eternally grateful to the providers of this "Board" and always will be.

I am as grateful to the members who were making posts and answering questions, providing support and incredible information for those of us "lost" and no where (else) to go.

To all of you, who reached out to me and helped me see in which direction to go, THANK-YOU. I know I've said it before, but it remains in my heart. You "WERE" my first steps to getting better.

I pray the same for all.

Cymy Sue

Last edited by Cymy Sue; 06-05-2004 at 05:37 AM.

Old 06-05-2004, 07:02 AM   #15
    Mosmom
    (female)

Mosmom HB User

Cheryl.

I've been told by several professionals that this is his 'new' life. I don't accept that, nor will I ever.

Never underestimate the power of a mother fighting for a sick/injured child! I know you will find an answer - I hope it will be soon.

Since you remember my posts, you probably know that I live in the Great Lakes region, too - near Chicago. Even though things haven't gone exactly as we had hoped at all times, over all I think we have gotten thoughtful, sympathetic and expert care. If your search for help brings you to this area please let me know.

Mo's Mom

Closed Thread