It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Cold/burning/raw sensation in mouth & TMJ

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2004, 01:09 PM   #1
    rgriffin

rgriffin HB User
    Cold/burning/raw sensation in mouth & TMJ

I have been having a cold/burning/raw sensation on my upper palate. This leads to or causes my mouth to become extremey raw feeling. Burning/raw feeling. I first got it in Feb. and it went away. I've had it a couple of other times since, but it would go away. I've had it now for a month, and it's still here. I don't know if it has anything to do with TMJ. I've had TMJ for years, and have a mouth gaurd for the bottom teeth. I use it occasionally, so I don't know if it really helps.

I've been do my regular physician 3 times since Feb., and to the dentist 1 time. I have another dental appt. tomorrow, and will be asking again what this could possibly be. It is very depressing when it just won't go away. Has anyone had this feeling with TMJ, or any other problem? I didn't know if it had something to do with nerves, or a sinus problem. My upper palate is cold right behind my front teeth, where your tounge can fit. My mouth looks fine, and doesn't really look raw, but it certainly feels raw. Any suggestitions would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2004, 01:33 PM   #2
    Michelle W
    Veteran
    (female)

Michelle W HB User
    Re: Cold/burning/raw sensation in mouth & TMJ

It sounds to me like a neurological problem. Have you seen a neurologist?

Old 08-09-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
    rgriffin

rgriffin HB User

I haven't been to a neurologist for this. I had an MRI done on my neck for another problem in May, and it came back normal. My PCP was suppose to look at it but hasn't contacted me yet about it.

Old 08-09-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
    CandyBubbles

CandyBubbles HB User

Hi I have the same thing and i have T MJ and i've been told to see a Neurologist due to some numbness in my face, but what i have attributed this raw burning mouth to is this: "chemicals" I'm having a reaction to chemicals that i have never had in my life everytime i use perfume or clean with bleach or spray air freshner ... my mouth gets like this it seems to help when i brush my teeth so i brush like every hour also does yours stop hurting when your eating i always gain a pound or so when i get this mouth thing because when i have food in my mouth it feels normal so i keep eating all day for days which is not good but since i've quit using harsh chemicals it hardly ever happens anymore hope this helps yours could be something totally different. bye tina

~Yvonne~

Old 08-09-2004, 07:06 PM   #5
    rgriffin

rgriffin HB User

It does feel better when I eat. I thought that was kind of strange. It'll feel fine for about 20 to 30 minutes then it will come back. I guess no one has ever really told you what this was from? Do you also have the cold feeling? it's almost like frost bite. where it's so cold it burns? It really worries me, and makes me depressed, especially when it just doesn't seem to want to go away. I'm only 26 and have never had this problem. I've had the feeling of something stuck in my throat, I compare it to a air bubble that you just can't get rid of. I went to an ENT about that because it was so frequent and he said it was acid reflux. I haven't had that much this year, but the burning mouth is what is driving me crazy this year. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one. Everybody seems to think i'm nuts.

Old 08-11-2004, 08:49 AM   #6
    twanger
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twanger HB User

I have the same thing. It finally went away. Look up Burning Mouth Syndrome on the internet. You might fit into that category.

Closed Thread