It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Does Anyone Here Have a CONTINUOUS Tight Headache?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2004, 08:22 AM   #1
    looney

looney HB User
    Question Does Anyone Here Have a CONTINUOUS Tight Headache?

Dear Group,

I've been here on and off over the past two years. To make my long story short, I developed TMJ problems after I came off of Klonopin (Clonazapam) too quickly two years ago. The drug has muscle relaxant properties, and when I came off fast without a good taper, I experienced very very severe rebound muscle tension, especially in my neck, shoulders and face. Within months, I noticed my jaw was clicking and it's been downhill since. Before my jaw even started clicking/popping though, I developed a very severe tight band headache that is especially bad in my temples and scalp and at the base of my skull. I still remember the day this headache started. It has been continuous (no exaggeration) for the past 1 1/2 years! It never stops.

TMJ doc #1 provided me with two splints, both of which I believe were way too thick (couldn't close my lips over them) and seemed to aggravate the condition. I gave up on him after 6 months of awfulness. TMJ doc #2 confirmed that I do have two dislocated discs without reduction. He also made a splint for me, and I seem to be doing much better with this splint than the others. I have increased my mouth opening from 26 mm to 36 mm. The clicking is less, I have less ear pain, decreased facial tightness, less eye pressure, and generally less jaw pain. The problem is that my headache/head tightness hasn't budged. I've been receiving this new TMJ guy's treatment for almost 10 months now, and still, the head tightness won't budge, and I'm very disappointed because it is by far my worst symptom.

I'm beginning to wonder if I have some other neurological problem due to the severe withdrawal syndrome I've been experiencing post-Klonopin. I went through a horrendous withdrawal, and I still have other problems such as an inner vibration, muscle jerking, sleep trouble, stress sensitivity, and tinnitus/hyperacusis that began the day I first dropped my Klonopin dose and continue until this day - 2 years later.

I don't know where to turn. I had an MRI done of my neck which revealed no problems there (it made my already bad auditory problems much worse though, and I wouldn't recommend a noisy MRI to other people with auditory problems).

I thought I would check in with this group again just to see if it is a common TMJ problem to have a truly neverending, continuous, severe tight scalp, temples and head. For you out there who have headaches, are they continuous and are they of this nature?

Another thing I should probably mention is that I haven't had TMJ for years and years. This did not come on gradually. It came on suddenly, with the headache preceding any jaw clicking whatsoever. Even my TMJ doc is surprised that my discs both dislocated so quickly and my headache evolved to this point practically overnight. I attribute this again to the severe muscular spasm the Klonopin withdrawal caused me. I have researched headaches, and the literature states that tension headaches are rarely severe or disabling, but let me tell you, this beast is very severe and very disabling. There is no way I can work right now, and I'm in constant pain.

I am sensitive to drugs, so I don't take any, and I don't want surgery because I fear the drugs and I have lost confidence in many physicians. Drugs and doctors did this to me in the first place. Yet, I can't imagine how I will survive in this state long-term.

Please help,

Looney

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
    cvella
    (female)

cvella HB User
    Re: Does Anyone Here Have a CONTINUOUS Tight Headache?

I also get continuous headaches that can last from 4 days to 4 weeks with maybe one day of relief. I have tried numerous migraine meds (Imitrex, Relpax, Fioricet; Fiorinol, etc) without relief...I sometimes get temporary relief from excedrine migraine, advil and zanaflex (msl relaxant). I've had my current headache for 2.5 weeks (ARGH). Ice following a hot bath helps me "deal" with this. And exercise, when I can, also can relieve any stress from feeling miserable ALL THE TIME. You are not alone -not sure if that is any comfort though. My pain is in both sides of the jaw, temples, head (all over), neck, upper back.

Old 10-01-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
    daydreamer504
    Inactive

daydreamer504 HB User

Looney, I have these headaches too. The dentist says they're due to temporal tendonitis and a possible tear in the tendon. Maybe coming off the Klonopin so fast made you clench and aggravate the tendon. An NTI has given me some relief, but we're going to have to pursue cortisone injections and prolotherapy to help the tendon heal and reattach to the bone. A moist towel thrown in the microwave for a couple of minutes provides more relief than anything. Indocin (anti-inflammatory) and zanaflex help some, but it's not a migraine, so migraine meds are useless, pain meds work a little better (ultracet seems to help). I can let you know if the injection and prolotherapy help at all in a couple of weeks if you would like.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
    daydreamer504
    Inactive

daydreamer504 HB User

If you are allergic to sulfa drugs, you will react to the lidocaine or other anesthetics they may use if they aren't aware that most of them have sulfa based preservatives in them.

Also, cortisone injections hurt like crap for the first 48-72 hours and they just don't tell you that up front. It DOES make it worse at first, depending on where the injection is, but it should get better in the long run if it's cortisone.

I'm not sure what was the case with you...I've had both happen to me. Neither one are fun, but I'm desparate, so we've found an anesthetic without sulfa in it, and I'm going to live through the 48-72 hours of intense pain, hoping in the long run it will help. Somethings gotta give here.

I'm sorry you can't manage to find any relief.

Old 10-02-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
    looney

looney HB User

Dear all who replied,

Thanks for responding, and I appreciate your input very much. Daydreamer, I would be so interested to hear how your prolotherapy, etc go. Please keep me posted. I'm also sorry the other thoughtful person who responded said that her injections made things worse.

The hardest part for me is the fact that I NEVER feel okay. I am always truly suffering with this head pain/headache/whatever is making me so miserable. I do get the classic migraines periodically with the aura, etc, but this is unlike those headaches, and yet, it is much more severe than any other tension headache I've ever had. Taking a hot shower feels good initially, but afterward makes my head feel like it's going to explode with pressure/tightness.

I feel so stuck - - now on my third splint, unable to take meds, and unsure as to how much of my problem is TMJ vs severe post-withdrawal syndrome.

Someone above mentioned the temporal tendonitis. I definitely feel the majority of my pain and tightness in this area. It pulls really hard, like my muscles are too short in my temples and the skin too tight over my head, especially the side/temple area. So maybe that's an avenue to look into. I guess I hoped the splint would help these muscles.

I'm so scared because this has been going on nonstop for 18 months now. I feel like I'm losing the expectation that it will ever get better now. It is hard to remember feeling okay or even close to normal and not having this pain.

I'm trying hard to keep my chin up.

Looney

Old 10-02-2004, 04:59 PM   #6
    cvella
    (female)

cvella HB User

I have also had bad responses to trigger point injections in my facial muscles. It made my pain extremely worse. I have had successful trigger point injections in my neck and upper back with a Physiotherapist (Rehab doctor) so I think the facial muscles are more sensitive. Some research I read on Botox and TMJ mentioned that if you inject too much in one muscle versus another, it could cause a muscular imbalance and cause more pain- maybe the same concept with trigger point injections.

Daydreamer 504, please let us know how your prolotherapy goes. WIll they inject the joint or another part of the facial area. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2004, 08:53 PM   #7
    daydreamer504
    Inactive

daydreamer504 HB User

Yes, Amy, you probably reacted to the anesthetic in the injection...I did the same thing and was absolutely miserable and the OLD dentist (I left him) didn't believe me and made me call my allergist and didn't try to figure out why something HE prescribed caused me so much pain and allergic reaction. I figured it out by researching on these sites, with the help of my allergist, how sad is that?

Prolotherapy is injecting sucrose into the tendon (not the joint, thank goodness) to cause mild inflammation so that the tendon will regenerate and heal itself and reattach to the bone. It is a series of injections, but everything is natural that is already present in your body. It will be interesting to see how it works. I have read about it online some, but am not certain that I fully understand all about it yet.

I definitely know how frustrating this all is...I've been like this since January...some brief respites of relief, but overall very frustrating. These headaches hurt like the migraines because they won't go away...at least the migraines respond to abortive meds, these don't. ARGHHH!!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2004, 08:14 AM   #8
    daydreamer504
    Inactive

daydreamer504 HB User

I don't think it says sulfa in the ingredients...you really have to dig because it is a preservative of the med...strange and very scary...I had to educate my new dentist about it too. Once I showed him the research, he immediately understood what was going on. They need to do a big article in CRANIO or something about that because these dentists don't have a clue what they are putting into our bodies with this particular med...they know to put epinephrine in with it, but that just kept me out of anaphylactic shock, barely. I have allergic to sulfa drugs on my list of meds too! I had 2 inches of itchy edema on the right side of my body for 3 days and was totally out of it BEFORE I had to start taking benadryl around the clock, after that was worse. My old dentist didn't even call me back when I called in asking what to do. Then he wondered why I left the practice the next week. For me it was a blessing in disguise because I really like my new dentist and I learned about these meds without something serious happening to me. This was just iontophoresis. Trigger point injections probably would have put me into anaphylaxsis.

I don't think your headaches are migraines, but you could see a neurologist just to check it out. My neuro can tell the difference between my migraines and my TMJ headaches, most neuros and dentists can't. I can tell because he's taught me, but it's hard to explain...part of it is where the pain is coming from...does the back of the head/neck hurt too? Are there sore spots/tight muscles on my head or just the vessels throbbing? Did I have an aura? Is it getting worse or staying the same intensity? Do I have other symptoms, etc.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:53 PM   #9
    eternal21
    (female)

eternal21 HB User

does anyone not have a headache but you feel the back of your neck is always in tension?? any ideas? I have massages once or twice a week which helps but it always seems to just go back..

Old 10-04-2004, 05:14 PM   #10
    daydreamer504
    Inactive

daydreamer504 HB User

Biofeedback?

Old 10-06-2004, 09:57 AM   #11
    Joyce2

Joyce2 HB User

Hi, I haven't been to the board for quite a while, I had been seeing another new doctor and receiving botox injections to see if they would help, and they didn't........anyway, I about fell over when I saw your question....I've been dealing with 'head pressure' for the last 2-1/2 years...when my TMJ started in 1999, it was not accompanied by this symptom, but I now have it every day...have asked over and over if it is TMJ related, and have been told yes and no several times, so I don't know what to believe....but I had to respond to your question, because someone finally put down what I've been dealing with, along with tightness into my face, pain down my neck, not being able to eat anything chewy, without paying a price of pain....I've had headaches with my TMJ, but my major complaint is the tightness around my head....gets worse after I eat....I get relief when I can lay my head down at night...I've had doctors tell me that they think it is a combination between arthritis in my neck and the TMJ problem. I'm hoping to hear from you, and see if your tightness is always accompanied by a headache. Thanks, Joyce

Old 10-06-2004, 10:59 AM   #12
    buffster
    Inactive
    (female)

buffster HB User

I just completed a round of steroids for the fluid in my joints and the headaches. However today I took my last one and they are already back next step is to have area irrigated BOO The headaches have got to be the worst most debilitating part of this TMJ deal every now and then I will have a GOOD day (not many) but now and then all the sudden it's like TMJ never existed. The thing i found to work best is the min you feel it coming on take a pain pill DON'T wait or the MEDS don't work at least in my experience

Wish you all the best
    Buff

Last edited by buffster; 10-06-2004 at 11:00 AM.

Old 10-06-2004, 09:34 PM   #13
    daydreamer504
    Inactive

daydreamer504 HB User

No, I don't always have a headache with it, thank goodness.

Old 10-18-2004, 07:03 PM   #14
    marcessna
    (male)

marcessna HB User

Hi Looney,

I have had the same issue for almost three years. I came off of zoloft too quickly, actually cold turkey after only being on it for a month and having severe reactions to it. As soon as I came off every muscle from my shoulders up tightened up and have been tight for almost three years. I couldn't even lift my eyebrows without feeling it all the way to my shoulders..Finally after three and a half years it is starting to go away. It has affected my balance, vision and vestibular systems. None of the doctors would belive that it was from the zoloft, but I know it was. The good news is that if you begin to stretch your neck, side to side and slowly it will go away but expect it to last for several more months. Judge your recovery in months not days or weeks...it did not even begin to feel better until I hit the 3 year mark. I am sorry for you as I know what you are going through.

Marc

Old 10-19-2004, 08:16 PM   #15
    serpentgirl
    (female)

serpentgirl HB User

Eternal, I have had a stiff neck and shoulders since I was first diagnosed 11 years ago when I was 16. I get massages every week, but yes, it always does come back. I use heat / ice and do some stretching excercises when it gets really bad, but for the most part, I've learned to live with it......A week ago I developed a headache across my forehead. It's not really an ache but more like a tightness. At first I though it was a sinus thing, but I had my sinuses checked out and they're okay. I've paid closer attention to it and it really seems to be muscoskeletal, so now I'm wondering if it's TMJ related. I've never had anything like this before so I'm kind of nervous about it and will be getting tests to rule out other things it could be, but I know a lot of the muscles in my head and neck are always strained, so there's a possibility it COULD be a TMJ thing, or at least a tension headache aggrivated by TMJ. Reading this thread has been very informative.

Closed Thread