It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

TMJ/Jaw Clicking/Popping

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2004, 02:23 PM   #1
kikaida01

kikaida01 HB User
TMJ/Jaw Clicking/Popping

I have had tmj for about 8 months. Mostly all the dentists say my tmj is mild. I don't have much pain but just a tension build up on my facial area. I also have OCD-Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and what I have been doing for the past 6 months is cracking my jaw throughout the day. My tmj is acting up again and my jaw and facial area is feeling tensed. I feel tired when this happens. My question is by popping/cracking my jaw, what do you think I have been damaging? The ligaments, joints, or muscles or all? The symptoms I am experiencing now is my muscles are all tight, and it clicks and makes a grating noise when I open my jaw. But I can still open my mouth wide. Do you think I have permanently damaged my jaw or do you think if I stop this bad habit it will get better in time?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2004, 07:02 PM   #2
SRH_NF_isback

SRH_NF_isback HB User
Re: TMJ/Jaw Clicking/Popping

Hello:

I also gave myself a TMJ condition from "cracking" my own jaw, as one would crack one's knuckles. I ended up dislocating my disks and ended up with an opening of 32mm. After splint therapy, I can now open my mouth to 45 mm. Before I sought treatment, there was a time in which my facial muscles would be very tight though with little pain. This is because the facial muscles were not used to the jaw being in a different position. If you have tight facial muscles, it may be because you have moved your jaw from its normal position. After awhile, the muscle tension may go away, that is, when the muscles get used to the new position of the jaw. If this happens, and you seek treatment, you will find the muscle tension returning because the muscles will once again have to get used to what was once the "normal" position of the joint. In short, yes you may cause permanent damage to your joint from voluntarily cracking it. I advise you to stop it!! If not, you will be sorry. With each crack, you are destroying the ligaments in your jaw joint.

Take care of yourself,

Sheldon

Closed Thread