It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• chronic pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2004, 08:50 AM   #1
    buffster
    Inactive
    (female)

buffster HB User
    Question chronic pain?

Has anyone here been told that their conditon is chronic ? Everytime i see my DR he says this , like it's never going to be better. Just wondering if anyone else has ever been told this .

take care all
    Buff

Last edited by buffster; 12-02-2004 at 08:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 08:16 PM   #2
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User
    Re: chronic pain?

My dentist has told me the same thing. He is treating me for chronic pain and said that if I have to be on pain meds/muscle relaxers for the rest of my life he will work with me. He has brought me around to a new life even though I still have alot of problems and do deal with alot of daily pain, it is not like I lived beforel I have had ALOT of bad dentists in the past and I am so thankful to have found that knows I am in pain and even though it is "chronic" now, at least it is being managed. How long have you been dealing with this?

Karen

Old 12-03-2004, 05:45 AM   #3
    buffster
    Inactive
    (female)

buffster HB User

I agree my DR is the same way at least he is managing the pain or it could be much worse however the word chronic seems pretty hopeless I've been dealing with this for about 6 years however I had my disc removed in 2002 and it been all down hill since my DR says the arthritis is a big issue for me and the joint is forever changing not sure what that means. I'm always swollen with pain the latest problem seems to be fluid that wont drain and keeps coming back its always something I don't even remember what a pain free day feels like
    how do you manage your pain?

thanks for listening
    take care
    Buff

Old 12-03-2004, 07:15 AM   #4
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

Hey Buff,

I totally agree, chronic feels and sounds so hopeless. I have had this for about 10 years. I had it pretty bad for about 3 years then out of the blue it cleared up for 5 years, only minor popping. Then, about a year ago, it came back with a vengence. I have something different everyday. My dentist has been wonderful and I have been through about 7 of them. I am on my third splint from him alone. Right now I manage my pain by taking Norco and Skexlaxin 3 times a day, I am on an anti-anxiety med also (xanax) to help with teeth clenching. I have a MORA splint to wear during the day and a soft splint to sleep in. My dentist also has it set up so if I am having a bad pain day I have Vicoprofen<sp> on hand and I just call him and he gets me in to mark my bite and adjust my splint. I have been to him 49 times since March!!! Yikes!

My tmj is all muscular and tendon problems.

What are your symptoms and how do you manage your pain? I am sorry about your surgery, I know that is bad news. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Here are my symptoms that I am living with if it gives you any comfort to know you are not alone.....

Severe dizziness
    ear pain
    face pain
    throat pain
    stuffy right ear
    eye pain
    "unreal" feeling
    tightness in head
    opening of 6mm
    living on noodles and applesauce and Starbucks ( don't mind starbucks)
    shoulder pain
    swollen glands on left side
    neck stiffness
    terrific headaches
    tooth pain
    tooth sensitivity
    facial muscle spasms
    eye twitching

Now, that being said, since I have gotten in with this dentist I don't have all of those everyday anymore. It does seem like every day I am dealing with at least two of them. I get one problem fixed with an adjustment and it sets off another one. That is why my dentist said it is now going to be a chronic condition. It's like I am going to have to learn to be happy being somewhat comfortable without all of the symptoms at once, instead of expecting to live "normal" again. I know how distressing it is, I feel so hopeless some days. Also, I don't know what your situation is, but I am 40, I have an 11 year old son that I homeschool and I have been married for 12+ years...........but my tmj has to be the focus of my day and the focus of everthing we do as a family. If Mom is having a bad tmj day then we don't keep our plans, if Mom is having a bad tmj day we don't go out to eat like we planned.......very hard.
    Sorry for the book............tell me about your day
    Karen

Old 12-03-2004, 07:46 AM   #5
    buffster
    Inactive
    (female)

buffster HB User

Hi Karen nice to meet you I am a 32 year old married mother of three wonderful children ages 7.9, and 11 I can really relate to the STOP everything change of plans Mom doesn't feel well that is the worst!!!!! my family is so important to my coping with this I just don't know how people go through this alone. I am on a steady diet of pills too however the past few months have been so bad that i take pain pills daily usually the strong stuff followed by flexiral at night the sad part is I've been on these so long they don't even really help anymore how sad is that I've done the splint twice with no results my joint changes so often that the splint would be adjusted one day and off the next they have washed out the joint once I've had trigger point injections all with only temporary results My DR is afraid to do much else due to my age he says IF I WERE OLDER whatever that's supposed to mean LOL i guess he's the DR
    well nice meeting you

take care
    Buff

Old 12-03-2004, 08:02 AM   #6
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

Buff,

I totally understand about a diet of pills. I am so scared about my liver! I get up and head straight for the Norco and a Skelaxin.........then I top those off with a Prevacid to protect my stomach......then I get my coffee.....HA!

Thankfully though, all of the other dentists I have been to have acted like I am looking for pills for a high rather than thinking that I might actually be in pain, so the pill diet is better than the pain.

I take the hard stuff 3 times a day everyday and I too am noticing they don't work like they used to but don't want to up my dose because then won't I just get tolerant to that??? I don't want to end up on 30 pain pills a day in a few years.

Do you ever wonder if you will take these forever, I mean how would one get off this kind of med?

It is nice to see that somebody else is a Mom suffering with this.............not downplaying anyone else, but dealing with kids and a household with this is very difficult.......

Karen

Old 12-03-2004, 12:39 PM   #7
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

Amy,

I am glad that you also have found someone who is willing to listen to your pain. I am on Skelaxin but have wondered about the soma........does it knock you out? Can I ask what kind of pain med you are taking after a year on Norco. It hadn't really helped me this last month and today I am taking the vicoprofen which is helping sooo much, It is the same dose of the hydorcodone, just has ibuprofen instead of tylenol, I am just curious what you are taking and if it knocks you out. I don't mind the loopy feeling anymore, I just don't like being like a zombie.

I know how tough it is with one child, I can't imagine 3, God bless you!

I just got my Mora splint. My dentist had to find a lab here in Southern Indiana that would make one, I too eat in and do everything else in it, I can never be without some kind of splint. The Mora splint does make me grind though for some reason, I hadn't done that til I got this. Is your tmj muscular in nature?

Take care,
    Karen

Old 12-03-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

Amy,
    I am taking Prevacid for my stomach, so hopefully that will protect me from problems there. I knew once I went from one Norco 3 times a day to 2 at a time......they were not working, I would love to try something that would wipe out my pain totally. I don't know in this tiny town if I could get Dilaudid. I swear, I went to dentist after dentist and dr's and ent's, just trying to get somebody.....ANYBODY to acknowledge how much pain I was living in. I told my dentist now that I was taking 14 ibuprofen a day combined with 6 Toradol ( for sugery site inflammation). He knew I wasn't in this for the high, I was in it for pain control.

How long have you had your Mora splint? You know, that is what has ruined me, every other dentist focused all these years on getting me off my back teeth, the whole time my problem was the opposite, I needed to be off the front teeth, I shoulda sued 'em all!

Karen

Old 12-04-2004, 08:04 AM   #9
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

Amy,

I have had this for about 8 years I guess. Mine too started out with wisdom teeth removal. I am so disgusted that all this has happened. Here I am all these years later and I should have just left the stinkin' wisdom teeth in. I have also been to 7 dentists

trying to get some help. It took me 2 years just to get a diagnosis. I had so many strange symptoms dr's were thinking Multiple Sclerosis. Anyway that has been some years ago. I am on my 5th splint. This dentist I have now has made me 3 of them. He has a soft Mora splint that I wear at night, it is made of rubber so I really don't grind with it then during the day I am in a acrylic Mora splint that I wear ALL the time. I also have a full acrylic splint for back up in case I get into a terrible flare up. I get these "spells" where I can't walk without holding onto the wall, it's severe dizziness and unbalance that is coming from my eustachian tube in my ear due to a muscle spasm deep in my ear.

I too have a PPO and can go anywhere to be treated and was checking out of state dentists when I heard about the dentist I am going to now. I have to tell you, I was so desperate I was thinking to myself, how am I going to go on like this.........thankfully, I am WAY past that now.

I have not had any procedures done because it is all muscular and tendon related. I have had dentists who said to do this or that......but the one have now said that doing nothing surgery wise is the best option.

Can you tell me some of the symptoms you deal with?

Karen

Old 12-04-2004, 02:09 PM   #10
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

Amy,
    Well, how my dentist explained it to me is.....I have a very small mouth opening, He said that having all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed at once meant having my jaw muscles and tendons stretched to capacity the entire time. He said tiny tears developed inside of the lining of my muscles and the wrong treatment over the last 8 years has left me with a lifelong problem. He said that my teeth should have been done over 4 times, maybe two, but not all 4 done in one day. They never did admit is was their fault and misdiagnosed me as well as everyone else has.

The last "dentist" who flat out told me she didn't cater to drug seekers......ended up turning me over to a collection agency for $6.22!!!! I am not paying it. She made me a splint that sent me to the emergency room.

Now, the dentist I am with currently has been so kind about the money......he has written alot off what my insurance doesn't pay. I still owe the labs that make my splints a total of about $600, but it could be $1500+ if he hadn't written his portion off. Isn't it ridiculous that one idiot could ruin my credit over 6 bucks and someone else writes off 1000???

How has your day been today. Right now I am counting down the next 2 hours til I can take my next pain pill. I don't like to take them early because I am afraid I will get addicited to them.
    Karen

Last edited by angel47630; 12-04-2004 at 02:11 PM.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:06 PM   #11
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

Same here, the list of stories is awfully long about bad treatment. I try not to even think about it anymore......talk about depressing. What gets me is this, if I was just a drug seeker, do dr's and dentists think I would have devoted 8 years of my life to trying to get pills???? Makes no sense to me whatsoever. I am so insulted at the way I have been treated. I totally understand that there are people who do seek pain meds for needless reasons, however, I cannot imagine they would go to the financial expenses, tests and more tests, biopsies, x-rays, endless hours in waiting rooms. I just don't get it.

I too have had a really good pain day. Seems like the vicodin helps much better than the Norco,

I do worry about this.......what if for some reason my dentist would leave town or for some unknown reason stop my meds, how would I find another dr to treat me with the understanding he has?

Karen

Old 12-05-2004, 12:35 PM   #12
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

Last week when I saw my dentist he metioned that if I required meds for years to come he had not problem in helping me stay comfortable. It seems like when he saw the box of failed splints I have, saw a list of all dentists I had been to and saw that I had seen a neurologist, an ent twice, an oral surgeon and my on pc physician over and over he knew I was not trying to get pills like my last dentist accused me of. She was such an idiot, I should have sued her but just didn't have the energy, I am praying that he keeps his word and since he put me on meds the first day I saw him in March and has kept me on them and now does the call in with 2 refills, I think he is past the point of any worry I am just abusing. In fact, if he were to look at my refills he would be able to see I take them exaclty as written and have since March, Don't you think that is a big issue for dr's. They have to know they can trust you?? I do understand that.'

I had been feeling so well the last 3 days on the Vicoprofen that I tried an experiment on my own. This morning I took Norco to see if I was just imagining the improvement and of course I was not........on a pain scale of 1-10, with nothing I am a 15. With Norco I am about a 6, but I have to say with the vicoprofen I am really about a 2. I was never that pain free even when I started the Norco, do you think that means I just have a better reaction to the vico?

Thanks for listening. Like I said, I really enjoy getting tips from someone who knows the extra burden of trying to be a good Mom with this crud.

Karen

Old 12-06-2004, 07:44 AM   #13
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

Amy,
    I have read so many posts on the pain board, I did hop over there last night. That is a great place because they all understand what this awful treatment is like. I was so mad inside all weekend thinking about how many pills dr and dentists knew I was taking trying to get rid of some of this pain and they would rather let me kill myself with over the counter meds than to give me 3 pills a day..........I gotta get over it, so it is good to go to the pain board and vent cause you and everyone there know how this feels.

Thanks for reminding me about the pain board.......I also am suffering with thyroid problems and have spent alot of time there........Frankly, I don't know what I would do without all the help on these boards.

Karen

Old 12-06-2004, 07:48 AM   #14
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

hey, quick personal question.....does your husband understand all you go through or do you just skirt the issue and try to keep your suffering to yourself? Hope you don't mind, I am just interested in how somebody else do this. Also, Amy, I have had days where I feel like I have been such a quick tempered Mom. I mean I homeschool my son and he knows what I have been through, but I feel like I need at least the last 5 years of my life back. I feel like this pain has robbed me of totally enjoying his childhood, does that make sense to you??

Thanks for listening,
    Karen

Old 12-06-2004, 08:26 AM   #15
    littlegreek25
    Inactive

littlegreek25 HB User

Hi I don't mean to intrude on your conversation, but I just wanted to say I know where you guys are coming from. I too am a mom of an eight year old little boy. It makes me feel so bad when he asks me to play with him and I just can't because I'm hurting so much. I'm currently taking Ultram about four times a day, and it's starting to not work as well as it used to. The first doctor I saw gave me Ultram, Flexeril, and 30 Vicodins. She didn't want to give me any more than that because she was afraid I'd get "addicted" to them. The Flexeril doesn't seem to help me and makes me too tired. I just saw a new doctor who gave me Elavil and Robaxin. The Elavil made me so tired I could hardly get out of bed the next day, and the Robaxin doesn't seem to be doing anything. He put me on the Robaxin because I told him that the Flexeril made me too tired. I mentioned to him that the Flexeril didn't seem to help with my pain at all, and he said that it's just a muscle relaxer, it's not supposed to help with pain. Well if my muscles are more relaxed, shouldn't they hurt less? He also wants to give me blood tests for my thyroid, to see if I'm anemic, and do an arthritis panel. He said sometimes if something is wrong with my thyroid or if I'm anemic, it could be causing me to clench more. I've seen a lot of people who have tried the Neurotronin(sp?) and it seems to work well for them. I'm just worried that eventually I'll try all the pain pills and nothing will work for me anymore. I'm only 28 and my doctor said my condition is chronic. I don't know what to do if that happens.

Amy

Closed Thread