It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Tongue Thrust/"Resting" Tongue Posture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
    Marylander
    (female)

Marylander HB User
    Tongue Thrust/"Resting" Tongue Posture

Several weeks ago I posted a question (Under Bite/Swallowing Difficulties) and apparently no one could relate to my experience, which isn't surprising because we all so different and yet alike too! Now, it occurs to me to ask if anyone has ever worked on getting over a tongue thrust and/or learning to put their tongue in correct resting posture. I think maybe if I can resolve that part, then the teeth will come together naturally (instead of my forcing them) when I swallow.

I've searched and read information on resting tongue posture and tongue thrust until my eyes are bleary, and am more confused than ever, because every site seems to define it differently, although a lot of them talk about "The Spot" like its something magical that will just hit you between the eyes. Not me! I've seen it defined as "immediately behind but not touching the front teeth:" that feels comfy to my tongue but I end up with a back of the neck ache and headache after a while so I suspect that's not right; "the spot where you land when say n:" that's further up/back, the roof of my mouth arches there, and it won't stay put; and "the rough part of your palate" which is further up, behind the arch; my tongue will stay there, but I start slushing my "s" and "sh" sounds when I rest it there, and when I worked that area for several days, I got a brand-new sore spot under my jaw, between the corner of my jaw and my chin, which I suspect is a tongue muscle that is straining to keep it tucked back. Overall, my facial pain is minimal at present (has been much worse) but the neck pain (back and sides) is pretty bad.

Any insights/suggestions/exercises would be helpful! I'm going for a physical therapy screening appointment Monday, but I don't know if a regular PT would know anything about this, and since I'm having to pay for the PT and the split that I'm waiting on, I don't know that I could add "swallowing lessons" to my strained budget.

Thank you for reading my ramblings and for the great support I see here for everyone. Just reading, even if it doesn't directly relate to my symptoms, is a big help. And I agree with the person who said the other day something needs to be done to wake up the insurance industry. After I visited the oral surgeon who doing the splint, his staff called my insurance company, who said if he had wanted to do surgery, they would have covered that, but they don't cover conservative therapy. Any wonder unnecessary surgeries get performed!

Marylander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
    Re: Tongue Thrust/"Resting" Tongue Posture

Marylander
    I'm new to TMJ too, and I also start Pt Mom. I think my tongue resting is the tip of it on my upper palatte behind my front teeth and then to relax my lower jaw, also when I swallow to gently closed my back teeth. I don't know if this is right though.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
    Marylander
    (female)

Marylander HB User

Thank you...If I do learn anything at PT, I promise I will post it. Nice to know someone else has the same concern, although I wish neither of us did!

Old 04-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marylander- I read your other post and was wondering how the oral surgeon knew your joints were ok- did he do x-rays? I will also report on anything I learn at PT.

Old 04-09-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
    Marylander
    (female)

Marylander HB User

Yes, he did X-rays and some hands-on testing. There is no clicking sound and both joints move normally with no deviation and full mouth opening. I know I am lucky in that respect!

Old 04-11-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
    veryfrustrated
    (male)

veryfrustrated HB User

I don't know if i have TMJ or what. I have several of the symptoms, I just havn't been to a dentist to check it out, but i'm about 85% i have it. I tend to rest my tongue on the roof of my mouth right behind my front teeth. i don't remember ever doing this before I started wiht the symptoms, however now since I do it i'm making my gums right behind my teeth hurt, kind of like raw, guess i'm pressing my tongue up against them too hard. Has anyone experienced this. It has to be from teh tongue. when i wake up in the morning there is no pain but then when i notice my self doing it it starts to hurt again.

Old 04-12-2005, 05:09 AM   #7
    Marylander
    (female)

Marylander HB User

I can't tell you where or even if I rested my tongue anywhere before all this started, but I've been trying hard to get it right recently as part of the idea that if you improve all of your posture (jaw, neck, back) it will improve the TMJ. At the moment the end of my tongue is sore, also from pressing too hard I think in an attempt to get it to rest in the right place. I had made my gums sore last week as well, and decided if it made the gum sore, that probably wasn't the right place...but it's all confusing. I started PT yesterday and the therapist knew the exercises for improving mouth opening (I have normal mouth opening) but not anything about resting the tongue.

Old 04-12-2005, 05:41 AM   #8
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I also started Pt yesterday and the girl said to put my tongue gently on my palate behind my front teeth and close my lips and my teeth should not be touching. She said this is the position in which all the muscles relax and will not put stress on the joint. My mouth opening is a little less than normal. She also showed me exercises to hold my tongue on the roof of my mouth and slowley open my lower jaw- but never far enought that my tongue leaves the roof of my mouth. Thats about all she did yesterday beside the hot pack- which felt good.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:22 AM   #9
    Marylander
    (female)

Marylander HB User

Thanks for your post, Luvtocamp! I think I am getting a little bit better at putting my tongue in the right place...I think it has been confusing for me because as far as I can tell, I have a gum area between the palate and the teeth, I think this is because I have a slight overbite and I think maybe everyone doesn't have that much gum area. It's starting to feel a little bit more natural to keep it in that rough area of the palate.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #10
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marylander,
    Your welcome. Well we both started Pt the same day. I go 3X Week for 4 weeks. I hope mine is muscular and not the joint itself.. I also have a slight overbite and I think the gum is more tender than the roof of the mouth and I think the tongue is suppose
    to be touching the palate itself. I am a feeling better after 1 day of Pt and doing the exercises. I am continueing to stay on soft food for now tho, don't want to rush things.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #11
    Marylander
    (female)

Marylander HB User

Queen Laugh, thank you for the words of encouragement. It helps to know that others have faced, or are facing, the same issue. I have two sessions of physical therapy on my neck and I can tell it is already helping those muscles feel better. Last night I could sleep on my right side (my preferred side) for the first time in weeks, because it no longer hurt my neck to lie on that side. The first day the therapist "popped" so to speak, a whole row on trigger points along my left shoulder blade I didn't even know where there, and got rid of a headache just like that! The neck stretches have helped too, including the chin tucks which they taught me yesterday (this center uses a team approach: at first I was worried, but they all work together seamlessly and I'm getting the benefit of several therapists' knowledge). I could feel the chin tucks working on tight muscles that weren't being affected by any of the others. We're not doing any specific jaw/tongue exercises though because my doctor had to refer me for "repetitive stress injury-related neck pain" in order to get insurance to pay for it (they won't cover TMD). So, any more exercises you can steer my way for the tongue and jaw would be appreciated...I'll try the ones you gave me; Luvtocamp also mentioned the mouth-opening exercise. I'll hope your right: as the therapy works out the other kinks, the tongue will just naturally slide back to the right spot instead of my having to "make" it go there.

Thank you again, I was feeling a bit blue today and now I can lift my head up and look toward the weekend.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #12
    papa123
    (female)

papa123 HB User

I don't know if anyone has ever experienced this, but a year ago I began having speech problems. My tongue would thrust forward while speaking, which caused speaking problems. I went to a neurologist and he did lots of tests and everything was normal. I went to a dentist and he put a splint on me and it wasn't helping my tongue, so I went to another dentist for a 2nd opinion and he said the splint wasn't good, so he put another one on me. I have gone to speech therapy, physical therapy, chiropractor. Nothing is stopping my tongue from thrusting forward during speech. I have no problem swallowing. If anyone has any thoughts to what this could be from let me know.

Closed Thread