It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Surgery Success Story

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
LimaBeetle03

LimaBeetle03 HB User
Thumbs up Surgery Success Story

I visited this board while I was deciding if I should go through with my surgery or not. I was discouraged by the response, but after much thought, prayer, and imput from others in my life, I decided it was my best option.

Here's a little back story:
I'm 20, and suffer from TMJD. Not only did I have joint pain due to my discs being out of place, but this was very much aggitated by my open bite. For about a year befor my surgery, I wore a splint, which helped my headaches and joint pain. I decided to have surgery to close my bite, in hopes that this would ease my joint pain. I got into braces last November, and had surgery on July 26.

The surgry and immediate recovery were definately not fun. The liquid diet was awful and the disruption the surgery caused to sinus was terrible...but I made it through.

Almost 8 weeks later, I'm feeling great. I haven't had any headaches like I usually do. I was so worried that my joint pain would be worse from the trauma of surgery, but it definately is not. I was also worried that I would not be able to completely open my mouth, but that is also not the case. Of course, after having my mouth shut for several it weeks, it took time to build my muscles back up, but now I'm well on my way to being able to open my mouth wide.

By no means am I magicly healed, but I feel like my condition is significantly improved. After I get the doctors heads up, I'll be able to bite with my front teeth! WOW, I sure couldn't do that before, with my open bite! My other pains have continued to get better. I'm very happy, and wanted to share my news with you guys!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 03:18 AM   #2
rubato
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User
Re: Surgery Success Story

Congratulations. I'm always happy to hear that someone is better whether through surgery or not. Good luck with your progress. I'm sure it can only get better.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
Katie G
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User

Wow -what a great story. Gives hope to others who may be facing surgery in the future - like me!

Thanks,
Katie G

Old 09-22-2005, 09:22 PM   #4
Literati
Veteran

Literati HB User

Wow, I'm so happy for you!!

Please do keep us updated on your condition. By any chance, did they notice any bony remodeling of your condyles (from your tomographs)? Also, how big was your open bite?

Again, congratulations on your surgery!

Last edited by moderator4; 12-11-2005 at 12:54 PM.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Alicealice
(female)

Alicealice HB User

Hi, Im 22 and in the process of getting my open bite fixed (which I've had for as long as I can remember) You would understand how much anguish the problem causes I couldnt be able to say how many time this issue has brought me to tears. I hear in your words how happy you are now that yours is fixed.
I'm nervous about the surgery, but so excited. I cant even imagine how good it will feel with it fixed, to being able to bite down and smile with all my teeth! tiny things other people don't even notice and take for-granted.
Im nervous that my facial structure will change after surgery, did you notice a change in your appearance? Theres nothing I want to change about myself except the open bite and Im scared Im going to look different.

Last edited by Alicealice; 03-06-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: mistake

Closed Thread