It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Tandy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
Shirlett
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User
Tandy

Tandy,
I have not heard from you in a while. How are you? Are you making progress? Are you feeling better? Are you glad you did not move to Florida now!? I just wanted to know how you were doing and if you felt your surgery was a sucess.
Let know!
Shirlett

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2005, 08:10 AM   #2
rubato
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User
Re: Tandy

Hi Shirlett. I've been keeping tabs on you through your other posts. How are you feeling? Still surviving without the implant? How did you fair through Katrina and all the others? We had a cruise scheduled to leave Sunday out of Galveston. We went ahead and cancelled it yesterday. It's the same ship that used to leave out of New Orleans and they had to move it and now, here we go again. They took our first ship for FEMA which is fine, but I have no interest in sitting in that traffic to go to Galveston. So, we're going camping in Missouri instead. Not quite the same thing, but my 5 year old doesn't really care! My jaw has been feeling great. I have no pain at all unless I do something stupid. Like eating a whole bag of Starbursts last night! I hurt today, but I deserve it. I tore a tendon in my right shoulder and it's not getting any better. I haven't reacted well. It's hard for people to understand, but once you've been in cronic intense pain, you freak out a little when other things happen. At least, I do. I've refused to let my shoulder slow me down, and, of course, it's not healing properly. Ohwell, camping should be lots of fun with a bum shoulder. At least I can eat whatever I want!!!!!Steaks here I come. Keep me posted on how you're doing. You are always in my prayers!
Tandy

Old 09-24-2005, 11:50 PM   #3
Michelle W
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User

Rubato,

What type of surgery did you have done? I live in Missouri.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
rubato
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

Hi Michelle. I think I talked to you a few months ago. I had a discectomy and see Dr. Tanner in N Kansas City and on the plaza. He's terrific and I've now had 2 successful surgeries with him. Did you ever find a doctor to see? I think you were having some sort of insurance issues if I'm not mistaken. How are you feeling?

Old 09-25-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
Michelle W
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User

Oh yes, I am sorry. My memory is not as sharp as it use to be, or it is the medication that makes me forget details. I apologize.

I am so glad that you are continuing to do so well. That is wonderful!

I did finally decide to go see Dr. Larry Wolford in Dallas, TX. He told me that I need a TJR with the TMJ Concepts. He feels that I would not be a good canidate for a discectomy, because I have rheumatoid arthritis. I guess fusion is a greater possibility when you have RA. I was not happy to hear that from him.

Anyway, I am still trying to find insurance coverage. My insurance does not want to pay for it despite it most likely being a joint problem due to RA. I guess I will have to switch to a different group plan that will cover it. That is the only thing I know to do at this time, and I hope it will work.

What type of insurance do you have in Missouri that covered your disectomy?

Thanks,
Michelle

Old 09-26-2005, 07:02 AM   #6
rubato
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

I have First Health, Mailhandlers through my husband. (He's a mailman). I hope you get something that works for you. When I had my first surgery 11 years ago, my insurance only covered a small portion of it. I paid about $9,000 out of pocket. And the surgery was only about $15000. This time the surgery total for everything was about $50,000 (nice inflation rate ), and I only paid a couple thousand with all the deductibles and co pays and stuff. I don't know how you guys even handle all the doctors appointments when your insurance doesn't cover it. But, good luck getting new insurance. Hopefully, you find an answer. Keep me posted.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:08 PM   #7
Michelle W
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User

Thank you Tandy for sharing that information with me. I will tell my husband. He is looking at Aetna and Blue Cross/Blue Shield right now.

I had arthroplasty in 2003. It was close to $15,000.00. I took out a second mortgage on my house, so when I sold it I came out with little equity. My braces have cost me about $5,500.00. I had to come up with $2,000.00, and I have paid payments of about $184.00 for the past three years. I still have my braces on. I feel both have been a waste of money. I don't know what to do, because I am broke.

I feel terrible. Even if I could work I could not save up enough money for a $90,000.00 surgery. At the rate I would save money the inflation level would rise, so the surgery would not be the same amount in five years. It isn't like the doctor is going to lock that price in for me, so that isn't the answer.

I have never played the lottery, but it might be my best bet. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for letting me follow your progress.

Closed Thread