It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Need advice from veteran splint users!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
tina1966
Inactive

tina1966 HB User
Need advice from veteran splint users!

Hello,
I am Tina and I have several posts on here. I am doing better with physical therapy now..slowly but surely. My tmj joints are in order according to an xray I had done and my bite is fine, however, the oral surgeon I saw said I needed a new splint...I have been wearing mine now for about 2 years and it does have broken off pieces in the back, so I suppose I do need a new one made. My question is this....Will I have to wear this splint for the rest of my life? It's a bottom splint, so I do have concerns also about having any kind of dental work done on the bottom teeth like crowns or a root canal. Its something I just really have been wondering about. I wore my splint full time for one year and then wore it only at night the next year...now am wearing it full time again because of relapse of this due to overexerting myself. Has anyone had crowns put on and helped? or what about braces? All the dentists I have seen have just said "yes, you will have to wear it for the rest of your life". I would really like some serious input here from people who have been wearing them for a long time or who know alot about the mora splint.
THanks so much! Tina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
TiffanyAnn
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Re: Need advice from veteran splint users!

Hi Tina:
In all likelihood you will have to wear a splint at least at night for the rest of your life. My experience with the TMJ is that once it is messed up it is never really well. I think that is because it is such a small and delicate joint. Whatever the reason it seems that once you have problems with it they continue. I wore my splint full time when I first got it as well but I now wear it only at night. On the topic of having dental work done, I have had some of the same concerns and I worry constantly about having any work done because it is different and the splint won't fit right after the work is done. I have had a crown done and what my orthodontist did was to reshape the inside of the splint around the tooth that I had the crown put on. If I had alot of dental work done I know I would have to have a new splint made. I try to avoid that because as we all well know they are very costly. I do whatever I have to in order to keep going. Even those who have had surgery continue to need their splint at least at night. I hope this helps some.
Tiffany

Old 10-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
Catswold
(female)

Catswold HB User

Hi Tina,
I believe that Tiffany is right on. I have worn a bite splint of some sort for 23 years. For several years I would not even try to sleep without the bite splint, but I don't feel like I need that crutch anymore, just prefer it.

As long as your bite splint maker is good, having work done shouldn't be a problem because they can adjust the splint to fit the bite. I'm curious how much bite splints cost where you live, but I know it's none of my business to ask. The last one I had made recently was around $300.00 and it's the best one I've ever had. So, since it has been helping, I hope it lasts for many years.

Don't worry about dental work as long as you have a good dentist and/or TMJ doctor.
God bless...
Carol

Old 10-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
tina1966
Inactive

tina1966 HB User

Hello,
Thank you so much for responding to me. I just want to be as educated as possible. The orthodontist where I went to get a new splint made called me the other day and said they broke the impressions they made of my teeth....so have to go back and do over. It's always something. The splint I bought 2 years ago was about $400.00...and now I suppose due to "inflation" my new one is going to cost about $450.00. And yes I had to pay for both myself..dental wont cover it of course. I am really trying to take extra good care of my teeth, bottom ones in particular...I had so much work done when I was younger as far as fillings...I just pray that I wont have to have anything done to my teeth on bottom row. Again,,,thanks so much..you have both been so helpful and put my mind more at ease. Tina

Closed Thread