It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

is this TMJ?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
carltongal
(female)

carltongal HB User
Question is this TMJ?

Hi!

I sometimes clench my teeth at night and wake up with a sore jaw, and my jaw clicks when I open it wide, it never really bothered me but recently my submandibular has been hurting (since june) and my doctor thought it might be hurting becasue I have TMJ, does this make sence to anyone? does anyone else have pain in their submandibular glands?
Thanks for the help in advance
Carletongal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Catswold
(female)

Catswold HB User
Re: is this TMJ?

Hello Carl..
I had to look up what the submandibular glands were and yes, mine have been swollen and sore for years. I don't know what it means though as the doctors have never said anything. My jaw or mandible or whatever it's called, is very small and narrow. It's almost always sore where I had teeth pulled for braces as a kid, and more later as an adult. My "jowls" seem to be bumps or muscle pressure points and also hurt. If I work on that area, I can sometimes take away the pain in other parts of my face. It's all so crazy.

As you can tell, I do have TMJ and have had all the usual symptoms. One symptom has really started to bother me recently and it's also related to the throat/neck area and that is - I have problems swallowing. I always have had a little bit of trouble (nuisance like), but it is getting much worse and even a little scary. I haven't seen my doctor to talk about it yet, but I don't know if she could help anyway. I might need to check with an ENT.

What are you and your doctor going to do about your TMJ, especially the clenching?

Well, continue on with the battle as I say.
God bless...
Catswold

Old 10-20-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
Miss L
(female)

Miss L HB User

Hi there the pain in my left sub gland has left me feeling like i have a blockage there or somthing but my oral sugeon keeps telling me its muscular i also get trouble swallowing a little bit of a sore throat now and then and a feeling of real irritation inside my left cheek i also feel like the left floor of mouth is swallen i get cracking sounds and the pain from my muscles in my face is really bad and my ear hurts all the time not terrable ear pain but pain and full feeling it happens on the right also but just never s bad and it always starts in my joint and then idont know where its coming from if that makes sense cause its sorrta all over my left side of my face especially back bottom molar area i started to think maybe cancer in my tonsil but my doc dentist and oral surgeon disagree so? its so anoying i wake in the morning jaw feels alittle stiff and as soon as i eat drink talk it all starts anyway thats me been like this for a year so i really dont know my right side joint dislocates sometimes and i get lock jaw that makes me dizzy anyways hope you all keep well

Miss L

Old 10-21-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
carltongal
(female)

carltongal HB User

My doctor said i should talk to my dentist about it next time i go, and maybe see about a bite guard for the night.
Carletongal

Old 10-21-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
CTmom
(female)

CTmom HB User

For what it's worth, I'm currently being evaluated for TMJ, but you question about the submandibular gland caught my eye. I suffered with a swollen gland for about six months. My ENT thought there might be a blockage but x-rays were negative. Anyway, I ended up having the gland removed about a month ago - what a blessing. The pathology showed that the gland had been chronically infected. Since it's removal I have had no fevers, chills or just feeling lousy like before the surgery. Also, it reduced my jaw/lower molar pain by about 75 percent. I'm still looking into the possibility of TMJ, but for me, clearly the submandibular gland problems were contributing to my symptoms.

Closed Thread