It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Can antidepressants make you grind your teeth?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
Halls
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Can antidepressants make you grind your teeth?

Just wondering because the only time i grind my teeth so badly is when I am on an antidepressant. I have tried night guards and still grind with them on. Is there anything I can do to stop this horrible habit? My teeth are wearing down, my bite is off, my jaw hurts, my teeth hurt. My Dentist just told me I need braces because of what I have done to my teeth from just grinding them so badly. Any advice, I need it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
TiffanyAnn
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Re: Can antidepressants make you grind your teeth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halls
Just wondering because the only time i grind my teeth so badly is when I am on an antidepressant. I have tried night guards and still grind with them on. Is there anything I can do to stop this horrible habit? My teeth are wearing down, my bite is off, my jaw hurts, my teeth hurt. My Dentist just told me I need braces because of what I have done to my teeth from just grinding them so badly. Any advice, I need it!
Hi:
I'm sorry to hear of your problems. It is my understanding that anti-depressants can most definitely cause grinding. Grinding is an extremely difficult habit to break because it is a habit of the sub-conscious and happens when we are asleep where we have no control over those kind of though processes. I don't know anyone who has been able to break the grinding habit. I grind as well. Since you know that you grind you should ALWAYS wear a splint at night to help preserve your teeth. My teeth are very worn down from grinding. I always wear a splint at night now. One word of caution, do NOT get braces until you have first dealt with your jaw problems. Until you get that under control getting braces are a foolish endeavor and a waste of good money because it will only further your problems. I'm not saying don't get braces at all but what I'm saying is do NOT consider them until after dealing with your jaw problems.
Tiffany

Old 10-30-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
Michelle W
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User

I have to second everything that Tiffany has told you. If you don't grind your teeth when you don't take antidepressants than I would try a different kind. A lot of people have trouble with the SSRI medications such as Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac the newer meds. Maybe you could try some of the older ones that work a different way.

I tried getting off the antidepressants, but I still grind my teeth. I have not always done the grinding. I have no idea what started the process for me.

I also encourage you to wear a splint at night or you will lose your teeth which will make your tmj worse. Once you get comfortable in your splint for about six months then maybe try the braces. Some people believe a bad bite causes grinding. I think it does in some cases but not all.

Good luck,
Michelle

Old 10-31-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
rubato
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

You can try Elavil (amitryptilene). It is an anti depressant that is supposed to help with grinding and help you sleep. I was on it for about 6 months and I was doing great on it. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2005, 07:03 PM   #5
sunflower22
(female)

sunflower22 HB User

I have to wear my splint 24/7 and if I didn't my TMJ would be killing me and I would be in so much pain. I do grind as well but I also have a pretty case of TMJ.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:59 AM   #6
une_fille

une_fille HB User

I tried Elavil as well to curb my grinding but it did not work. Elavil is given in very small doses (10mg) for grinding, but higher doses (75 mg) for depression. Interesting how some anti-depressants can cause grinding while others are proven effective for treating against it. Elavil is also used to treat migraines.

Rubato- How long did it take for the Elavil to help stop your grinding? I've been on it for 2 weeks with no results.

Joanne

Old 11-01-2005, 07:26 AM   #7
rubato
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

I started taking it August of last year, so about a year and a half. Iwas taking 25 milligrams. I also wear my splint at night. I'd give it more than 2 weeks.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #8
VA-GAL
(female)

VA-GAL HB User

The medication Buspar has been shown to help with the grinding associated with SSRIs. I have read several studies that have shown that. SO if you have found an anti-d that really works for you, you could ask about adding Buspar to help with the grinding. Buspar, however has its own side effects. So you have to take the good with the bad.

There are also some newer anti-ds that are on the market that are not SSRIs, like Cymbalta or Effexor. The Cymbalta also is approved for nerve pain. I tried it and found it to be an excellent anti-d and it did help with my pain somewhat. But I had to discontinue it due to some other side effects it was causing. Again, the good with the bad.

Va-gal

Closed Thread