It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

TMJ & pregnancy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
JellyB_3
Veteran
(female)

JellyB_3 HB User
TMJ & pregnancy

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any stories, advice, comments on being pregnant with TMJ?
I'm 8 weeks pregnant and I'm having the worst flare up I've had in months! I don't want to tell my Dr. because as we all know too well, most Drs don't believe it's the TMJ and I'm sure he'll want to put me on some meds for headaches, dizziness, etc.
Does anyone know why this happens? is there anything I can do to relieve my pain? I really don't want to take any meds, or too much tylenol.
And will it ever end?????

Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
Iron Jaw
(female)

Iron Jaw HB User
Re: TMJ & pregnancy

JellyB,

I was pregnant when I found out I needed TMJ Surgery in 1983, I had to hold off the Surgery until after the baby was born,
As for medication I was allowed to take tylenol and tylenol3. It is very safe to take as long as you don't over do it with the meds.
Try and stay stress free. easy said then done, Moist heating pad,
the best ones to use is the Thermafor for tmj. no wetting down the sponge, it has velcrow to wrap around your jaw and head, you need to hold down the handle but velcrow works to keep it down. Stay on a soft diet as much as you can so you don't trigger the jaw pain from chewing. At times you might need to use an ice pack on the jaw as well as the moist heat.
Are you wearing a night splint? If not aske your Dr to see if you might need one, this will help the clinching and grinding at night and take the pressure off the tmj joint. Or you could just go to the sports section at walmarts and get a football guard and fellow the instrustion to mold it to fit you. this might help at night as well. but ask your Dr and see what he thinks ok.

My Daughter has tmj and never had surgery, right now she is about 14 weeks along, and for her headach and mirgrans they are sending her to PT 3 times a week. she is taking the tylenol as well.
Just take it easy and don't worrie so much, you will be fine, take it one day at a time. just rest as much as possiable don't over do it. listen to your body and rest when you feel a headach coming on. See if your hubby can do some nice neck massages for you as well.
One more thing, I have found this to be true and it has happen to me several times. Do you have a dentenst that treats tmj? If so go to him and ask him to check to see if all your teeth are even. I was in so much pain one time I was in tears, I could not get to my oral surgen so i went to my dentest who is specailzes in tmj. he put a pices of blue paper in my mouth had me bite down on it. this is to check to see if your teeth are even, i had tmj surgery about 3 weeks before. and my jaw had shifted and my one back molar was off. so he filed it down and to my amazment the pain was gone! It might be worth checking in to. My aunt who wears denturs called me one night and she was in tears. her jaw was hurting so bad and she thought she had tmj. I asked her what she did that was different, she had droped her lower dentur int he sink, and chip one tooth. she then took a nail file and filed it down so it was even and when she put her denturs back in. one half hour later she called me and her pain was gone. Anything is worth checking out to see if that is the cause of your flar up as well. It could be something that small to really put anyone in so much pain.
Best of luck for you and your baby!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Iron Jaw; 11-03-2005 at 08:05 PM.

Old 11-04-2005, 07:16 AM   #3
JellyB_3
Veteran
(female)

JellyB_3 HB User

Thank you for your reply! I haven't been taking anything, but think I'll definitely need to get some tylenol soon : (
I do wear a splint. 24/7 right now. But, I broke it a few weeks back and I was without it for 10 days. So, I feel like I"m back to square one. I do feel it getting better as the days go on, But, I'm still recouperating from the flare-up while it was out for repair.
My bite is definitely off! That I know. the splint has shifted my jaw and over the years that I neglected my TMJ my teeth have shifted as well, But I don't want to file any teeth down until i'm done with the splint therapy. I wear it 24/7 so I don't really notice it too much, only for a few minutes a day when I take it out to eat.
My main problem right now, is I am suffering from some awful morning sickness. So, the days I wind up gagging, dry heaving or throwing up, It flares it up some more. I'm hoping and praying this ends in a few weeks!
Where can I get the Thermafor heating pad? It sounds like something I could use!
Thank you for your well wishes! : )
JellyB & BabyB

Old 11-04-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
Iron Jaw
(female)

Iron Jaw HB User

JellyB & BabyB

Well I think once you get your spint back and calm down you will be fine, also ask you Dr. who is making your splint if he can check to see if you teeth are even, just little bit on the top of your teeth can caused the pain. You most likely need to have it file down. That would make a world of difference for you. Also ask your Dr about using tylenol 3 for those really bad days when you hurts so bad you cry, and only take it when its really bad.
As for the heating pad you can do a search on heating pads. and order on line. or you can look for at your drugstore, Now where I live we have 4 drug stores and it is only in one drugstore here in town, but you can also look at your medical suppy store and see if they carrie it. That is where I get mine and my insurance covers it at the medical supply store with a RX from my Dr.
But it will not cover it for tmj! So my doc puts down its for my neck. I have Medicare. So call around and the medical supply store first and see if they have it and if your insurance will cover if first before you buy one online or at the drug store.
They have 2 kinds one is a back one and it is very long and they have the other one that is for neck and tmj. That is the one I use i have gone through 4 of them and now i am in need of another one. The cost to that is about 37.00.
As for the morning sickness, crackers eat a lot of crackers try and get the salt free onces, the less sodium the better, you don't want to retain water.
My daughter was so sick and crackers just wasnt doing it for her, so I bought her a bag of pepperment candy, the red and white ones. That has helped her a lot.
So mommy and baby calm down and relex and enjoy the day stress free.
Stick to a soft diet, most heating pad or most heat and at times use an ice pack. And try not to clinch when your are stressed out, try taking your tonuge and touch the roof of your mouth when your stressed out. that helps to keep from clintching ok.
When is your Baby due? My grandchild is due April 28 but I told my daughth she will have that baby on May 2 the day before my birthday. that she has to keep it a tradition now. She was born one day before her grandmas birthday!
Her baby will be born one day before his or hers grandmas birthday!
Once you get your splint back from repare, you will both make it just fine. and The sun will shine when it shines so think of the tommorows and SMILE!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
Iron Jaw
(female)

Iron Jaw HB User
Question Re: TMJ & pregnancy

JellyB
Didn't you read my reply back to you?? Someone did answer your post, I just don't think you seen it.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
JellyB_3
Veteran
(female)

JellyB_3 HB User

Hi,

I'm sorry, I did read your post earlier today. I only check while I'm at work and I was off the weekend and Yesterday and today, our network was on and off... UGH.
My baby is due on June 23rd. I'm actually feeling a little better. This weekend the nausea subsided a little, and we finally told my parents, so my stress level was much lower this weekend! I know, I just need to relax : )
(It's easy to say, now that I'm feeling better! I'm sure I'll be back here complaining when I'm suffering again!)
You know, first baby, I'm Miss Paranoia! : )
I have a Drs appt next Thursday, I may tell him my symptoms just in case its pregnancy related. I just don't want him to blow off my TMJ like most Drs do.

Thanks for your reply : )

JellyB & BabyB

Old 11-09-2005, 05:57 AM   #7
Iron Jaw
(female)

Iron Jaw HB User
Wink Re: TMJ & pregnancy

JellyB,

WEll that is good news after all, Most of the jaw pain sound likes it was mostly stress then, but it would still be a good idea to have it checked out, I think once
you get your splint back it will be much better for you , it will help with the grinding at night.
I know my daughter was scared to tell me she was going to have a baby, and I am the one the supprised her! I just knew it and was so compailed to start getting baby things. I bought a car seat and stroller and high chair at a yard sell. No one told me she was pg. I just knew it. And I went over to her friends where she was staying at and told her, she looked at me and just said who told you!!! ANd then started to yell at her friends, The place where I bought the baby items at was also her friends and she knew it but didnt not tell me, I just knew I sinced it. I just told her it was alright a mother knows these things, how do you think I was able to keep up with you over the past 8 years, I told her I had eyes in the back of my head and she could not get away with anything! then her friend started laughing and told her That 3 weeks ago she called me and aske me if I knew anyone that would need a bassanite and swig, I told her i wanted it for my that my kid would need it someday, and that was way before she even she was Pg.
The Nasua will get better in time as well, Just keep thinkging this too shall pass!
So just take it easy and relex and take it one day at a time, you will be fine.

Closed Thread