It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

how long sgould i try the splint with no relief?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-25-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
stcarlsen
(male)

stcarlsen HB User
how long sgould i try the splint with no relief?

I have been trying out a second splint for a possible case of TMJ causing daily dizziness, and sometimes head pressure and nausea. I got it from a neuro muscular dentist who is very reputable and knowledgeable, so i am sure that it is a good one. but unfortunately, i havent seen any imrovement over about 3 weeks, and i am just wondering how long it usually takes to see improvement. at first the dentist gave me the impression that it would have helped me by now, but said to keep wearing it, but he may just not want to admit it yet that it may not be the TMJ causing my dizziness. i certainly dont blame him for trying. any help would be great. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
TiffanyAnn
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Re: how long sgould i try the splint with no relief?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcarlsen
I have been trying out a second splint for a possible case of TMJ causing daily dizziness, and sometimes head pressure and nausea. I got it from a neuro muscular dentist who is very reputable and knowledgeable, so i am sure that it is a good one. but unfortunately, i havent seen any imrovement over about 3 weeks, and i am just wondering how long it usually takes to see improvement. at first the dentist gave me the impression that it would have helped me by now, but said to keep wearing it, but he may just not want to admit it yet that it may not be the TMJ causing my dizziness. i certainly dont blame him for trying. any help would be great. thanks.
Hi:
Splints generally take time to work. They are not something that you get and are magically relieved of your pain and symptoms. I'm wondering though, you said you were given the splint for a possible case of TMJ, did this dentist do any test on you? Any x-rays, MRI, anything? Are you having pain in your joint, popping, cracking? Because if you don't have TMJ a splint is not going to help you and it would seem to me if this dentist were reputable and knowledgeable he would make a definite diagnosis before asking you to spend tons of money on treatment. Has he diagnosed you with TMJ?
Tiffany

Old 11-25-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
stcarlsen
(male)

stcarlsen HB User

i have had a tomogram which showed that the condyle was pressing on the fossa? or something, and that it "may" be causing the dizziness, but i have been skeptical from the start. i do have some noise coming from the right jaw, but no pain, but i get some tenderness there as well as a stiff neck on the right side and weird headaches on the right side, as well as some ear fullness, mostly on the right side. Also, i was perfectly fine until about two or three months after i got braces on, so that made me a suspect of TMJ, but I've never actually been diagnosed with it, what do you think?

Old 11-25-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
sunflower22
(female)

sunflower22 HB User

With my splint it helped me within a week.

Old 11-26-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
TiffanyAnn
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcarlsen
i have had a tomogram which showed that the condyle was pressing on the fossa? or something, and that it "may" be causing the dizziness, but i have been skeptical from the start. i do have some noise coming from the right jaw, but no pain, but i get some tenderness there as well as a stiff neck on the right side and weird headaches on the right side, as well as some ear fullness, mostly on the right side. Also, i was perfectly fine until about two or three months after i got braces on, so that made me a suspect of TMJ, but I've never actually been diagnosed with it, what do you think?
It's absolutely possible that you have TMJ. The symptoms often show up just after getting braces on or just after getting them removed. But I am with you on this one, I'm not fully convinced that your problem is TMJ. Could you maybe get a second opinion?
Tiffany

Closed Thread