It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Veteran Sufferers..Have you had psychiatric help?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
tina1966
Inactive

tina1966 HB User
Veteran Sufferers..Have you had psychiatric help?

Hi,
Tina again. Most of you know my story. I will make it short for those who dont. I have had tmj for about 2 1/2 years now. I was doing great until last August when I overdid it and swept out a house we are building, coupled with overwhelming things going on in my life, my father died, Work, going to school part time, etc., anyway....I am doing much better after completing physical therapy. My physical therapist recommended that I see a counselor because I was so depressed at the beginning of my treatment. And now that I am feeling better I am wondering if I still should. The only thing that bothers me is that I can no longer do the things I loved to do..that I have to pace myself now..and I fear I wont be able to work again. This thought overwhelms me at times because I am only 39 ...and my son is in high school now, 9th grade and I wanted to be able to work part time to help send him to college. He is very smart and may get a scholarship, but still nothing is guaranteed. I also have a 10 year old who doesnt understand why mommy can't play tennis anymore or has to lie down for an hour to feel like cooking dinner later. I am really trying to cope with this by prayer and reading books to help me with this. Has anyone sought out therapy and has it helped? I have had alot happen to me in my lifetime..and sometimes that creeps out too. My mother died when I was only 23, I lost a baby, had a carwreck, all in one month. So needless to say I have had my share of experiences. I believe in God and prayer and thats about the only thing that has gotten me this far. I felt so good yesterday that I went shopping, and did errands, came home, did laundry, and other things, so now today,,I am paying for it...neck pain, etc., I am just tired of this. So sorry to ramble on...but no one understands the pain but people on here. My husband tries..but he doesnt. My sister thinks its all in my head....so sometimes I do feel all alone. Thanks for any and all replies. I dont mean to be a downer...but I know you all understand. Tina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
tealadyjudy111
(female)

tealadyjudy111 HB User
Unhappy Re: Veteran Sufferers..Have you had psychiatric help?

Tina, yes ive had and am still having psychiatric help.A lot of stuff happened in my life and im not very good at coping. My tmjs so bad im waiting to have bilateral Concepts put in.My mum died in June and i havent got over it yet and dont think i ever will. I look after my dad who doesnt live with me but near me. He is 89 and blind and as he is deaf i have to talk very loudly to make him hear me. I just phoned him now and i have really bad pain in my jaws from it.Im on antidepressants (have been for years) perhaps the stress has caused my tmj i dont really know.You are so lucky to have an understanding husband to help you out.When i cry, shout, eat and even talk too much i get pain, the pain killers ive been given Zydol and Ibruprovin dont work any more nor do the muscle relaxant Valium. I dont know whats going to happen to me im scared of the op but i cant go on like i am either.Im not a baby ive had 2 cancer ops but the jaw pain is much worse as you use your jaw for a hell of a lot of things.I dont think ive helped you any but it sure was good having a moan. By the way im 54 and live in the Uk, take care Judy.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
tina1966
Inactive

tina1966 HB User
Re: Veteran Sufferers..Have you had psychiatric help?

Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply. I am really sorry you are dealing with so much right now. I am on antidepressants again and take a muscle relaxer as well. I am having a hard time just coping with the fact that I will have to deal with tmj forever. I have good days and bad days..I guess we all do. I am so sorry about your loss and your father. Both of my parents are gone now....my father was such a great help to me....we were so close and I miss him dearly. He died 2 days before Christmas last year....so I am sad now but trying to be strong and happy for my family. Its hard. Again, thanks so much for your reply. After Christmas I believe I will seek therapy. Dont know yet. Take care and my prayers are with you. Tina

Old 12-07-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
rubato
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

Hi. I was having a hard time last summer and went to see my regular physician. He instantly labeled me "depressed" and put me on Zoloft. I tried to explain that there were mitigating circumstances, but he thought that was the answer. At first, they really helped. But, then, when I wasn't as depressed I started noticing how much pain my jaw was causing me. I went back to my tmj doctor (had surgery 10 years before), and he immediately scheduled another surgery and was shocked at how messed up my joints were. Also, he got me off Zoloft immediately because it can cause nighttime grinding which I already did and didn't need more of. He put me on Elavil instead which helps with depression and grinding and sleeping. I had the surgery in February and it was successful. As the pain started to ease, so did my feelings of depression. I went off the Elavil and muscle relaxers and anti inflammatories awhile back. I still struggle with bouts of depression though. You guys are right. Knowing that this is a lifetime of ups and downs and constant pain is depressing. We will never be normal no matter what we do. And if I hear another person say " Oh, my jaw makes those funny little sounds too. Maybe I need surgery.", I'm going to scream. As soon as people find out I have a tmj problem, they come running to tell me how they can understand because they've been there. That's why I like this board. You guys have been there. You understand that this isn't just a little nuisance pain. This is debilitating, mind numbing pain that you can't control. I would like to be able to get through life without causing myself more pain, but I do have to talk and eat, and no matter how hard I try, I can't catch every yawn! I haven't been to see a therapist, but there are times, when I'm screaming at my family for no reason and crying because I can't get my mouth open, that I think about it. There's no way we could afford it, but it's a little tempting. I hope you find what's best for you, and keep up the prayer. That's what gets me through too. No matter how bad I feel I'm at church on Sunday! Good luck!

Old 12-09-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
Shirlett
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User

Tina,

The first time I went I was sent by Social Security Disability for an evaluation and the guy told me he was impressed that I coud sit there and talk with him and he did not know how I had made it as far as I had. Thanks! So I ended up going to about five before I found someone I was comfortable talking to AND that delt with chronic pain. Having her deal with chronic pain has helped me so much. The nice thing is if you are not comfortable with the person then go to another until you find someone you are comfortable talking with.
I hope that you find something that works for you!
Shirlett

Old 12-10-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
Michelle W
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User

Hi Tina,

Although, I had found psychiatrist helpful in prescribing medications they are not good at helping one with stressful issues such as chronic pain, death, family problems and etc.

I recently starting seeing a lady counselor that is helping me a lot with my chronic health problems. I have seen some counselors in the past, and they have not been very helpful. You have to see several at times to find a good one. They do have counselors that have special training in helping chronic pain patients. I don't know if they are available in your area.

Bless your heart you just recently lost your dad close to the holidays.

Best wishes,
Michelle

Old 12-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #7
Rawspice
(male)

Rawspice HB User

Hi Tina

I feel so sorry for you after reading all that. you have had to put up with so much hurt, I hope you can stay strong.

I have only seen a psychiatrist once but that was before my tmj was diagnosed. I didn't really find it that helpful and I never went back again. The doctor only sent me to see one because I had blood tests etc and they couldn't find anything physical wrong with me. The doctor couldn't understand why I was getting head and face pain etc.

Closed Thread