It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Lyrica

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User
    Lyrica

I have been suffering with atypical facial pain for several years now. My doctor is putting me on a trial of Lyrica. So far it does seem to be helping. Has anyone here tried this drug and had long-term success. Any problematic side effects like swelling or weight gain?

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
    meditation
    (female)

meditation HB User
    Re: Lyrica

Hi,
    Just reading your post. I just started Lyrica..my doctor thinks it could help with 'potential' nerve pain.

I haven't been on it, too long. Have you been? Are you having side effects? I am glad it is helping you, so far. Can I ask you, is it expensive? My doc gave me samples of that with the lydocaine patch.....

I am going to do some research tonite, I'll let you know what I find.

Meditation.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User

Now I'm not sure if it's helping or not. It's so hard to tell. However, I've started feeling so......tired which then gets me depressed. I'm taking 75mg morning and night. I'm not sure what to do. There's no point taking something that makes living a somewhat normal life impossible. This pain is terrible! It is rather expensive - here in Canada it's $36 for 20 capsules (75mg). Of course, it depends on how many you have to take, and then they probably have higher strength capsules. Please do let me know whatever you discover and your own experiences. It's so knew, it's hard to get feedback on it.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
    Debbyefk
    (female)

Debbyefk HB User

LINDA, lYRICA HAS GOTTEN MIXED REVIEWS BY ALL WHO ARE ON IT. I TAKE IT FOR NEUROPATHIC PAIN FROM FIBROMYALGIA AND IT HAS BEEN A WONDER DRUG FOR me. sorry about the caps--. I'm only on 75 mgm at bed time and it works well for me but we all respond differently. my side effects were fatigue and increased appetite but they only lasted for 3 weeks. The cost for 30 capsules is approx 75.00--US. I understand atypical facial pain can be difficult to get in control. If the pain is terrible maybe they can try something else? If you haven't been on it for long you might want to give at least 6 weeks--for the side effects to wear off and possibly increase the dose. Wishing you luck. Debby

MEDITATION; I don't understand why your doctor would give you an anticonvulsant like Lyrica for "potential" nerve pain? The reason for my confusion is are you talking about TMJ? I know this is a lyrica thread but when I saw the word potential...Wishing you luck too Debby

PS Linda there is a lot of info on Lyrica sorry I can't refer you to other sites on this board. Its out there.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
    meditation
    (female)

meditation HB User

I've done a lot of research on this drug. And, I know their website has a lot of information.

Here's what I've found out. It is a nerve pain drug, which we already know. It is used also for shingles and also a for seizures, believe it or not.

The side effects are the usual...nausea. possible headaches. weight gain. dizziness. They commented on the careful driving of motor vehicles, especially if you take narcotic painkillers...yah, wish that was problem for me (not been sleeping)

I think the 'possible' benefits outweigh the side effects. I hope the medication works for you. I think it may take a little while for it to get into your system....

I am on it because my pain is not decreasing at all. I've been in this pain for almost 2 yrs..I am the screw girl....I had a TJR almost 4 months ago....The pain is horrible. And, I am going back to my surgeon this week. My mouth shut and now I can not hear out of my left ear... Just feeling a little down, today.

Take care,
    Meditation

Last edited by meditation; 02-07-2006 at 05:35 PM.

Closed Thread