It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Should I get a splint?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
kevinnader
Inactive

kevinnader HB User
Should I get a splint?

Ortho said to try to keep lips together and teeth apart. I've been trying that. Its been 2 weeks. Today i've been having sharp pain mostly between my ear and jaw area. The pain feels like its really deep too. If that makes sense. I also have had pain inside my face and head today. The most however has been right at the back of my jaws and in front of my ears. It feels like something needs to be cracked.

I wish I knew what triggered it. I woke up pretty good and didnt have this pain..

I hate God...gosh..do I...I have enough mental loneliness and no friends and I deal with this **** on top of it..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2006, 07:31 AM   #2
MLZ
(female)

MLZ HB User
Re: Should I get a splint?

Splints can be helpful. Mine has stopped my jaw popping and my joint pain is quite minimal now, I think my remaining problems are muscle related.

Im so sorry for your problems.... no one should have to deal with this alone. If it helps any, you do have support here, we all understand the hell of tmj.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
Ever So Sweet
(female)

Ever So Sweet HB User

"I hate God...gosh..do I...I have enough mental loneliness and no friends and I deal with this **** on top of it.."

hmm i dont think saying you hate god is going to make the situation any better. Its just going to make you sink deeper into a depression or lonely feeling. I know of your pain and i know how easy it is to get very angry through pain. I would say to just not let those negetive comments such as hating god for pain take over. Try getting a splint if you feel its the next step. I have a splint and dont really find that much benefit from it. I can only wear it for 30 minutes or so before i take it out because its uncomfortable. i am supposed to sleep in mine but when i do i normally wake up with it on the floor or next to me. I would take it out in my sleep i guess. You can try physical therapy or look up muscle relaxing techniques to do on your jaw. you can try finding some OTC medicine to ease the pain. If nothing helps, surgery might be a good thing to try if you have a reason for it that is. and of course through all this pain i would advise a softer diet. Also somethign that i have found that really helps my jaw headaches are those face masks you can buy at walmart and meijer and places like that that are filled with a liquid and you put it in the freezer or refridgerator to cool down. those for me work great and i'm like the queen of headaches! and MLZ is right, you shouldnt have to be alone with this, and you arent. i know everyone says things like that but seriously you are definitely not alone. thats why these boards are really beneficial especially to ones in your case. Finding people that can really relate to exactly what you are talking about is comforting. I'm not trying to preach to you with my first comments i just think hating god isnt someting you should do because you have pain. just my opinion. you can totally disregard that if you would like. hope your pain gets better

Old 02-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
kevinnader
Inactive

kevinnader HB User

Is it uncomfortable for every one?

Old 02-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
Ever So Sweet
(female)

Ever So Sweet HB User

sorry i misunderstood your post so i deleting the recent one! sorry

Last edited by Ever So Sweet; 02-05-2006 at 10:50 PM.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #6
kevinnader
Inactive

kevinnader HB User

no I meant the splint. If the splint is uncomfortable. I am also sick of living on advil every day. Dont know if I should stop taking advil 3 times a day...

Old 02-06-2006, 06:28 AM   #7
MLZ
(female)

MLZ HB User

for me my splint was uncomfortable for the first few days until i got used to it. Since then for me I barely notice it in there. After a month or so I went from taking painkillers daily to taking almost none.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
kevinnader
Inactive

kevinnader HB User

For the last 3 days its been so tight and tense right in front of both my ears. that bone or whatever right there. I feel like it needs cracked. on both sides....lota pain too,duno if its dislocated or what...not to mention my very pissin off neck pain and head pain...

so your splint helped you?

Last edited by kevinnader; 02-06-2006 at 09:20 AM.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
MLZ
(female)

MLZ HB User

very much so, before using it, my bite felt "off" towards the left and pulling on the right side, my left joint felt super tight. After the original "shift" back toward center(took a few days of using splint almost all the time), the pain was worse for a few weeks but after about 5/6 weeks i'm hardly in joint pain anymore. It got better and was worth it.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:14 AM   #10
kevinnader
Inactive

kevinnader HB User

the ortho said my bite wasnt bad at all..

Closed Thread