It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

TMJ-help!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
zalaz

zalaz HB User
TMJ-help!

I am trying one last time to post here. For some reason it won't let me...andyway, I have had tmj for years. I have dealt with clicking and all. Not too big a deal. Last week I was eating hard chips and suddenly my jaw felt like it locked. I was able to open my mouth again, but since then my jaw has felt very off, my back teeth don't touch, I have soreness on both sides of my jaw, constant feeling like it may lock, and a lot of popping. I went to my dentist and he wants to make a night guard when inflammation calms. I am scared though. What if it doesn't calm down?! I am feeling miserable with this and it's driving me nuts. Has anyone gone through this before???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
luv2read
Veteran
(female)

luv2read HB User
Re: TMJ-help!

My jaw locked up on my at the dentist. I was getting cap work done in the upper back and it locked. Would only open the slightest bit for the dentist. Not fun at all.

I've never had luck with mouth guards. They made my symptoms much worse in the morning. Had a lot more dizziness, head pressure, just totaly out of it.

I've never understood the night guards. They are there to only protect your teeth.....for me anyways, they did nothing for the muscular pain/stiffness of tmj.

When I did try the nightguards years ago, you could see my teeth marks in them from grinding. And for me, the nightguards put my jaw in an uncomfortable position all night.....hence, the muscular pain/stiffness in the morning.

To me anyways...if you want to save your teeth from the grinding, get a mouth guard. If you want some relief from the pain/stiffness of tmj ....find some kind of med. that relaxes you at night.

This is only my personal opinion. Others may have something else to add.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
zalaz

zalaz HB User
Re: TMJ-help!

Thanks for response. I don't know what to think about the guard now. To be honest though I am more concerned about this just easing off at all. I hate this feeling. It bothers me just as much as it had when it first happened almost 2 weeks ago To top it off my ear has been bothering me now as well.

Closed Thread