It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Got Phase I splint, have a question

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2006, 11:23 PM   #1
laskalady
(female)

laskalady HB User
Got Phase I splint, have a question

Hello,

I have a splint that is used to unlock my jaw as part of my 1st stage therapy. Its a clear, hard, plastic splint which covers all of my lower teeth. I've noticed that on the left side, there are teeth marks in the plastic, so there are deep grooves in the splint now. Is this from clenching or grinding? I dont go back to the dentist until the 11th of April, so I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should try to get back there sooner. I have also noticed that when I take the splint out, the right side of my teeth, up and bottom close much more shut than the left. What could this be? If anyone can answer both of just one of these questions I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
TiffanyAnn
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Re: Got Phase I splint, have a question

Hi:
If the marks are only on the left side it's possible that you are hitting harder on the left side than the right. Maybe you should call your dentists office and let them know, they may want to get you in sooner for an adjustment.
Tiffany

Old 04-04-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
saxman26
(male)

saxman26 HB User

Adjusting the splint seems to be a very subtle affair. I wasnt happy with mine until I had four adjustments - now it feels right all my teeth meet at the same time. If it were me I would call for a short appointment to find out.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
GoodThings
(male)

GoodThings HB User

Hello,
You should notice the grooves on both sides when you get fitted. The grooves are there to ensure that the jaw pulls forward and stays there.
To answer your second question, your muscles are able to adjust without the presences of teeth, especially your posterior teeth. So imagine the left side of your teeth is so short compare to your right side. The doctor probably has to make the left side higher so you can touch at the same time and your jaw and joint levels. So when you take it off, because of your short left side, you feel that the right side is touching while your left is not. But in any case, you should talk to your doctor about it. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Bring a friend or relative if you feel more comfortable. Tell him or her to secretly record your conversation if you can. Totally legal.

GT

Closed Thread