It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Soft foods

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
    iluvmydog66
    Inactive
    (female)

iluvmydog66 HB User
    Soft foods

This might be a silly question but is there a list somewhere of soft foods - I am running out of ideas!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
    navymid
    (female)

navymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB User
    Re: Soft foods

i was on a soft food diet for 8 months and i posted on here a couple times about soft foods... you can search the boards for soft foods and a couple of posts will come up. from my experiences, these are foods i found to be good:

casseroles- like broccoli and cheese
    rice
    beans mushed up
    a mixture of rice and beans and overcooked peas/carrots all mushed together
    for spanish foods, rice and beans and sour cream together is good
    overcooked pasta cut up really small
    nutrigrain bars are good for a snack
    oatmeal/ grits
    yogurt
    ice cream
    apple sauce
    soups of course
    also some crackers like goldfish will dissolve in your mouth
    some cereals like LIFE or Special K will get really soft if you let them sit in milk

thats all i can think about right now...
    i will keep thinking though and i hope that helps some!

Old 06-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
    iluvmydog66
    Inactive
    (female)

iluvmydog66 HB User

THANKS so much!

Old 06-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Not sure if you like baked yams (I nuke them for 20 mins) - but they can be very filling in terms of satisfying hunger which soft foods don't really seem to do (at least for me). If you like meat try sloppy joes - if you really grind up the ground beef while cooking it you barely have to chew it. I also boil chicken (like grandma did) - it stays very moist and easily shreds to small pieces and doesn't require much chewing. I have been eating soft for 2 yrs now so I am kind of tired of everything - but over cooked vegetables (egg plant, zuchini, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) and baked fish are my mainstay. If you like fruit, ripe bananas and melons are good. Puddings and jello are my treats. Rice krispies and raisin bran get very soft when left in milk a few mins too. Have fun and be creative.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:06 AM   #5
    iluvmydog66
    Inactive
    (female)

iluvmydog66 HB User

Thanks TL!

Old 06-03-2006, 05:38 AM   #6
    NitroChic
    Veteran
    (female)

NitroChic HB User

Navymid and Thelma-Louise THANKS to you both for some great ideas!!! Sheesh I have only been on a soft diet for 2 weeks. You ladies must be saints!! Thanks to Luvmydog66 for asking the questions!!

Old 06-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #7
    navymid
    (female)

navymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB User

Your welcome! I remember that the first 6 weeks on the soft food diet was the worst!! After that, you kind of get used to it. Some food gets old real fast, but I learned to be creative, haha! I found that anything mixed with rice and sour cream and mashed potatoes is good. My favorite was mexican beans and rice mixed with melted white cheese(queso) and sour cream... its fattining and taste great, haha!
    Good luck with the soft food and be creative!

Old 08-05-2006, 10:53 PM   #8
    ranosb

ranosb HB User

Mashed potatos!

Old 08-06-2006, 04:29 AM   #9
    iluvmydog66
    Inactive
    (female)

iluvmydog66 HB User

Thks I use to eat mashed potatos at times.

My post is over 2 months old, I am back to eating regular foods and feeling much better.

Best of luck!

Old 08-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
    imaworrier
    (female)

imaworrier HB User

How long did you eat soft foods? I ate them for 3 days this past week and actually felt better yesterday, but then I had my birthday and had Chinese food (which is still actually pretty soft) and cherry pie. Still not too hard. Today I had the same, with some yogurt, and my jaw pain is back a little. Back to soft foods.

BTW, I love to make fruit smoothies, or go buy one for a treat at a smoothie place. Plain yogurt with frozen berries blended, or for an extra treat frozen yogurt.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #11
    iluvmydog66
    Inactive
    (female)

iluvmydog66 HB User

[QUOTE=imaworrier]How long did you eat soft foods? I ate them for 3 days this past week and actually felt better yesterday, but then I had my birthday and had Chinese food (which is still actually pretty soft) and cherry pie. Still not too hard. Today I had the same, with some yogurt, and my jaw pain is back a little. Back to soft foods.

My jaw pain began in connection to a cracked tooth (result from grinding) and a subsequent root canal I required - back in March. All my pain, I believe, was a direct result of clenching during the day. I have made a conscious effort to stop, and keep my jaw relaxed with my tongue against the roof of my mouth. I also watch my posture at my desk where I sit almost all day. I take it easy with what I eat when I chew, stopped chewing gum as well.

I had a hard splint made for my upper bite - but have not picked it up yet. I think a lot of it has just dispated for me - just like all the reading I did on TMJ said it would. Most cases do subside on there own- according to the studies. That is what I am finding with me. I still have some sporadic discomfort, but nothing like it was.

Best of luck and ang in there, chances are you will improve.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #12
    imaworrier
    (female)

imaworrier HB User

What kind of symptoms did you have? I don't really have the jaw popping -- I cand hear a bit of crackling when I open my mouth, but it's only audible to me. My jaw hurts almost all the time, sometimes really bad, and my neck and shoulder hurt some. I can actually rub the bone on the base of my skull on the side with the pain and it hurts. The reason I'm asking is because my doctor and the ENT I saw don't seem to think I have TMJ, which makes me wonder what else it could be.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #13
    iluvmydog66
    Inactive
    (female)

iluvmydog66 HB User

I thought I could hear popping - but a lot of people have that, that don't have TMJ. I had aching and fatique in my jaw, it would get worse by end of day. Bad headaches, neck and back pain.

If you do a search on my profile name you will see all the entries I made about my symptoms. The folks on here are great.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #14
    imaworrier
    (female)

imaworrier HB User

I wanted to add scrambled eggs and pancakes to the list, for those still looking for a soft food diet.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:06 AM   #15
    Miara
    (female)

Miara HB User

Here are a few of my recipies for soft foods that are also good for those who cannot or don't want to eat a lot of sugar:

(for reference: 1 cup=2,5 dl; 1 inch=2,5 cm, 400 fahrenheit=200 celcius)

Easy & tasty veggie soup that is also filling:

Veggies (potatoes (always), carrots, broccoli, leek, spinach... or whatever you like. For example: 6 potatoes, 2 carrots, 1 dl broccoli, 6 to 8 cm leek, 1 dl peas)
    Cream cheese or cheese spread (e.g. herb flavoured), about 1 to 2 dl
    (Fresh) herbs (e.g. basil, oregano), spices (e.g. black pepper)
    Veggie soup cube

Wash, peel and cut vegetables. Place in a pot of boiling water (use as little water as possible - but make sure veggies won't burn either). Add veggie cube and spices. Cook until vegetables are well done. Add cheese and herbs. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Let it cool down for a couple of minutes and use a blender to pure the soup. Done!

There are also some thick meaty soups (also filling) for those who eat meat, you can probably find recipies on google (I mean, what couldn't one find on google!)

Smoothie or milk shake:
    You can make a delicious fruit smoothie with banana, strawberries and orange juice. Just mix everything in a blender. Or try a banana milkshake for dessert. For two: 2 bananas, 2 dl of vanilla ice cream, 3 dl milk.

Apples & Cinnamon dessert:
    1 to 2 apples
    1 tablespoon butter or margarine
    Cinnamon
    Brown sugar

Peel and cut apples. Heat frying pan. Melt the butter/margarine. Put the cut apples on the pan, sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar. Fry on low to medium heat for about 5 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Excellent dessert when served with vanilla ice cream - especially after Chinease food!

Of course, cakes and pancakes are generally soft. Here are a couple low sugar versions:

Crepes:
    1 egg
    5 dl milk
    about 2 dl wheat flour
    (a bit of sugar or runny honey)

Beat the egg in a mixing bowl. (Add sugar oe honey.) Keep whisking and add the milk and then flour (still whisking). Let it sit for 15 minutes. Meanwhile heat frying pan. Fry crepes on medium heat, about 1 to 2 minutes on both sides. You can put a tad of butter or margarine on the pan before each crepe (prevents sticking and adds taste - and helps create a lacy pattern on the edges). Serve with jam or fresh berries/fresh fruit.

A soft, cream filled cake: (I love this cake)

The cake:
    4 eggs
    2 dl wheat flour
    2 teaspoon baking powder
    1,5 dl sugar

Whisk eggs and sugar together well. Mix baking powder with flour. Fold flour mix into egg-sugar mix. Stir well, so there won't be clumps. Pour into a buttered cake pan and bake for about 20 minutes in 200 celcius.

Once the cake has cooled down, cut it into two or three layers. Place the bottom layer on a dish (you will not be able to move it from that dish anymore, so make sure it's the one you want ). Moisten with juice or milk. You can use a small brush or a spoon to do this. Fill with cream (look below) and jam or fresh berries. Repeat if necessary. After the final layer, cover the cake with cream and decorate with berries or anything else you might like (e.g. shaved chocolate).

The filling:
    4 dl whipping cream
    (250 g quark/curd)
    (1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar)
    (vanilla sugar)

Whip (& mix in quark/curd and sugar(s).

You can make this cake basically as soft as you like by controlling how much you moisten.

Closed Thread