It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Allergies, what does this mean....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
    Rawspice
    (male)

Rawspice HB User
    Allergies, what does this mean....

Robert O. Uppgaard say's in his book "Taking Control Of TMJ" that allergies are a predisposing factor of TMJ. What does he mean by this? He doesn't say how they are or why?

The last 5 day's or so I having been waking up and sneezing constantly because of dust mites I presume. And the pain in my left jaw is ten times worse! I'm starting to think that my pain gets worse when I'm sneezing more from allergies. Everytime I think I might be getting a bit better the pain comes back again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: Allergies, what does this mean....

Well I don't have allergies, never have. Unless he is assuming their is a relationship to the cleching some may do when they sneeze? So if you sneeze often you are more likely to clench more often during the day and night and are therefore more likely to develop tmj? I think if anyhting tmj is due to either trauma that alters jaw and muscle function, genetically acquired or poor dentistry. Sneezing now is a nightmare for me - I can't imagine what it must be like for those that suffer with allergies as well.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
    Zeethan

Zeethan HB User

Interesting! Not long after we moved to Honolulu, I started having mild allergy symptoms, then went wacko with daily worsening symptoms, moved back to the mainland, still have allergies and TMD now.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
    Rawspice
    (male)

Rawspice HB User

Well I definitely now think that allergies play a big part in my TMJ. I don't think I clench either, I know it could be possible that i do it when I'm asleep but I don't do it when I'm awake. I just wish the book would explain more about it.

All my TMJ pain is from a trigger point in my lower left jaw, I have a very big nasal obstruction in my left nostril. Hardly any air comes out of my left nostril, when I breathe through my nose my right nostril gets sucked right in! And it's when my dust mite allergy is at it's worst that I get really bad TMJ pain. And the weird thing is that when I get this bad TMJ pain I also have this strange feeling up my left nostril, it's hard to explain what that feels like. It say's in that book that this trigger point can be brought on by a nasal obstruction. But that is all it say's, again it doesn't go into any detail. I was due to have an operation to have this bump in my nose removed, I had a similar operation done before. However I have now canceled the operation which I waited 8 months for, I really regret cancleling it. I only canceled the operation because I was put off by what they told me. First of all a TMJ dentist told me that a bump in the nose wouldn't be causing my pain. But thinking about it now what does she know, she also told me that TMJ doesn't cause tinnitus. Then a ENT doc told me that if I got the bump removed it would probably come back again because the bump is caused by allergies. I'm now waiting to get a new mouth guard but I don't think that will help. And they cost so much, the last one I got two years ago was a lot cheaper. I wish I could turn back time and have that operation, I know I can still have it but I presume I will be put back on the waiting list.

I would like to hear people's opinions on this, I know it might seem hard to understand but I would appreciate any help or feedback on this please.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have no answers but just found this topice very interesting - although I don't have allergies I did have a very large bump (acquired from a childhood accident) on my nose removed 15 yrs ago and a deviated septum corrected. After the surgery my left nostril always had a funny feeling when I breathed in and the left side of of my nose was always sensitive and ached - kind of like the feeling you get when you get water up your nose. Sometimes it felt like it was collapsed or like the sides of the inner nostrils were stuck together. I had it checked by the surgeon a few times b/c it was becoming very bothersome but he did not see anything wrong

The onset of my tmj pain suddenly began one night 13 yrs later with a sharp pain up the side of my nose and across my upper lip and across the upper hard palate and progressed from there. Recently my tmj dr noticed that my trigger point for facial and jaw spasms is also my left upper canine - is there any connection between having nose surgery,the sinues, upper canines and tmj - could it be the surgery affected nerves of the sinus - which canines share as well?

Old 10-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
    Rawspice
    (male)

Rawspice HB User

Thelma-Louise, bump on your nose? You mean up your nostril yes? It does feel like the two sides are stuck together. I tried to find out more about this on the internet, I did read that a nasal obsruction can cause facial pain because the air is trapped. I couldn't see anything that mentioned TMJ but then facial pain is TMJ. I would descibe my pain as a big pressure feeling, it feels worse to put heat on it.

I also had a deviated septum corrected, it was straight after I had it corrected that this big bump appeared. That is why I can't understand why they are telling me it is caused by allergies, no doubt though that the dust mite allergy has made the bump bigger. I didn't think to say this though at my appointment, I always think of things I want to say after the appointment.lol My septum has gone wrong again now though, it's like the bump has made it wonkey. The operation I canceled was to burn the bump away and make the septum straight again.

Here is another reason why I think it's all connected. When my TMJ started I was always having head pain mainly in the temples and sinus pain, I didn't really have pain in my jaw. I couldn't breathe at night and had a very runny nose all the time, it was like I always had a cold. So I had the nose operation done, after the op I no longer had a runny nose and my breathing was much better. But after the operation my head pain was much less and since then I have always had terrible jaw pain.

I have read on this forum other people with TMJ saying that they have a strange feeling up one nostril. It would be interesting to hear from them as well and I wonder if they had an obsruction of some kind.

Last edited by Rawspice; 10-18-2006 at 10:16 AM.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:55 PM   #7
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The bump on the bridge of my nose was due to a run in with the edge of table when I was a kid - it may have been fractured, I don't know but I did have a black and blue across the area and under my eyes for several weeks afterwards.

But a friend of mine had what I think you are describing - she said her surgeon called it a nasal ball that is due to allergies and chronic sinus infections- it grew or developed over time - in her case it was during puberty. I haven't seen her since she had it removed so I don't know if it ever returned.

I agree that it all may be connected somehow and wonder if there are others who have experienced something similar.....

Old 10-23-2006, 06:49 AM   #8
    Rawspice
    (male)

Rawspice HB User

What makes me laugh though is that when you ask a ENT doc about a nasal obstruction playing a part in TMJ they say that they don't know, and that you will have to ask someone that knows about TMJ. But when you ask someone in TMJ they don't know either. So it seems no one knows.lol When I told my dentist(who admits to be clueless about TMJ)that none of them give me an answer, he said something like they can't give you an answer and that the jaw joint is so hard to understand etc.

Last edited by Rawspice; 10-23-2006 at 07:04 AM.

Closed Thread