It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Manganese Deficiency, A Culprit

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
    Saverain
    (male)

Saverain HB User
    Manganese Deficiency, A Culprit

Hi, everyone, I had TMJ, depression, along with other symptoms. Used the splint, helps a little, corrected my posture with yoga and some other exercises (let me know if you want them) and that really helped. But the main problem was a manganese deficiency. I had popping in my mouth until I started manganese (pineapple). The numbness in my face went away and all in days. I had a cyst or bump on my right wrist and it went away. So I just wanted to let ya all know. Manganese deficiency is caused by eating too much refined bread and sugars. If you haven't tryed I think you should, a little pineapple a day, raw, unprocessed, full pineapple source. I use to get tired when I ate bread, rice and stuff like that and now pineapple really helps with that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: Manganese Deficiency, A Culprit

Is it available as an oral supplement? - I have indigestion trouble with any citric acids.

I stay away from carbs as well - I get tired immediately after eating them even though they tend to be soft and easy to chew for me.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
    mashpotato
    (female)

mashpotato HB User

Hi while on the subject of minerals i found this

Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency?
    What are some of the symptoms of magnesium deficiency? They are outlined beautifully in a recent article by Dr. Sidney Baker. Magnesium deficiency can affect virtually every organ system of the body. With regard to skeletal muscle, one may experience twitches, cramps, muscle tension, muscle soreness, including back aches, neck pain, tension headaches and jaw joint (or TMJ) dysfunction. Also, one may experience chest tightness or a peculiar sensation that he can't take a deep breath. Sometimes a person may sigh a lot.

I have found a peice of info on this board that recomended Magnesium so i sent of for it ,it arrived on Sat and my mussel stiffness ,twicthing and spasams have almost gone!!! the only trouble is that it upseting my stomach a bit so im trying to find the right combination has anyone else tried this ?

Old 12-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
    Saverain
    (male)

Saverain HB User

Peanuts are also high in manganese, so are pumkin seeds. There are probably supplements but I can't say that they will work because I've only tryed pineapple(There is a balance in foods you can't get with supplements). Manganese greatly helped me with the carb problem also.

Managanese is know to give cells energy through the mitochondria. It is important for muscles function.

What also will work with the citric acid is, get a bottle of water put some pineapple juice in with the water about a quarter of the bottle then add some dashes of salt and mix.

Manganese and Magnesium work together on the right side of the body. That's why I had that cyst. When you are deficient in one the other takes over and causes an imbalance. So when you are deficient in manganese you magnesium becomes deficient also. So when you get your manganese right it may fix the problem. I've heard magnesium deficiency causes tmj also but I beleive it is in conjunction with the deficiency of manganese. Magnesium didn't help me that much.

I do not suggest taking any other minerals with manganese (pineapple), although mangesium may also be a cuprit when taken together you can overdose on magnesium and your body with get tight.

Last edited by Saverain; 12-12-2006 at 11:13 AM.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

My tmj is pretty severe so I am limited to a soft diet - can't imagine eating nuts or seeds at this point - even swallowing has been hard to do but I do manage to get pills down if I push them down with a lot of liquids. I'll look for the manganese in a health food store - I'm already taking a calcium, magnesium and vitamin D supplement, glucosomine, chondroitin and MSM, folic acid, super B complex - so I guess one more won't hurt but I am starting to get concerned about mixing so many supplements - if they work together or against each other, what's the right dosage, etc. and if they are doing more harm than good - although I have not seen any adverse side affects so far. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
    mashpotato
    (female)

mashpotato HB User

Hello both
    Thank you i am now drinking pineapple juice by the bucket full !! you made me smile Thelma-Louise i take the same supplements as you and and "one more wont hurt " i think if someone told me to drink yak juice to cure my TMJ i would be looking for it in the shops !

Ive been reading up on magnesium today and the recommended dose ranges from anything from 350mg -750mg i have found that i can only take 300 mg as after that it affects my bowels also the thread on here that i got the information from recommended "chelated magnesium" (don't know what this means sorry) unfortunately foods high in magnesium are nuts Chase and almond no way could i eat nuts but bananas and halibut, spinach and whole meal grains are also good sources
    Have a good day everyone
    bye for now

Old 12-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
    Saverain
    (male)

Saverain HB User

Cool, just keep in mind that you don't need too much, it can make you sick. Make sure it doesn't contain any artificial ingredients, it can have pineapple, pineapple juice, asorbic acid.

What I've been doing is getting a bottle of water putting about a quarter full of juice and the rest water and adding a couple dashes of salt and that really gives me energy.

Last edited by Saverain; 12-12-2006 at 10:30 AM.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #8
    bluerose50
    (female)

bluerose50 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise
    My tmj is pretty severe so I am limited to a soft diet - can't imagine eating nuts or seeds at this point - even swallowing has been hard to do but I do manage to get pills down if I push them down with a lot of liquids. I'll look for the manganese in a health food store - I'm already taking a calcium, magnesium and vitamin D supplement, glucosomine, chondroitin and MSM, folic acid, super B complex - so I guess one more won't hurt but I am starting to get concerned about mixing so many supplements - if they work together or against each other, what's the right dosage, etc. and if they are doing more harm than good - although I have not seen any adverse side affects so far. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
    I notice that you are taking similar supplements that I take; except I haven't started the glucosamine/chondroitin/msm yet. Do you ever take regular aspirin along with these supplements? I have read about blood thinning affects and worry about mixing them. I do not take blood thinners or daily aspirin, but do take aspirin periodically.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I do take aspirin but not on a regular basis - only when I have cramps or a headache - for some reason I can still distinguish a regular headache from the tmj head and face pain - and despite taking baclofen and triavil at night and aleve during the day for the tmj - aspirin seems to work better for the other 2. You're right to be concerned - I am too, especially mixing the prescription meds with OTC pain relievers and not to mention supplements! Sometimes I think to myself - great I will finally get rid of the tmj and end up keeling over due to a lethal mixture of meds and supplements.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:50 AM   #10
    macksabratt

macksabratt HB User

Hey mash- has drinking the pineapple juice helped you ?How much do you have to drink?

Old 12-11-2006, 03:36 AM   #11
    mashpotato
    (female)

mashpotato HB User

Hi Mack's

I'm drinking about a carton full a day but its quite sickly so I'm now diluting it with water ,i cant say i feel much different with the magnesium tablets as i had a bad weekend I'm taking and the juice can anyone recommend a natural muscle relaxant as the doctor and dentist has told me anti -depressants could work but i don't want to go down that road yet as i would rather try all things natural first

Old 12-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #12
    Saverain
    (male)

Saverain HB User

If your muscles are getting tight chances are it's working but a cartoon is too much, cut down on the juice. I would suggest stop taking magnesium also (magnesium and manganese together seems like a bad combination, they both tighten the muscles), you also need to be taking calcium whenever you take magnesium (they work together), it can be very dangerous to mess with mineral supplements, you should really stop taking them. I suggest just concentrating on the manganese (pineapple juice). You really should stop for a little while though since you tightened your muscles so much. You can overdose on manganese also. You should have about 2-5mg a day. There are 6mg of manganese in a whole pineapple but you should really only have about a cup a day or less right now. Exercise/stretch, move around to get rid of the stiffness and you will feel better. Yoga really helps.

Last edited by Saverain; 12-12-2006 at 10:59 AM.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #13
    Saverain
    (male)

Saverain HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise
    Magnesium and manganese should not be taken together and I don't suggest taking a supplement or it with other minerals.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #14
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

thanks - that's what I have been worried about - taking a mixture of different supplements that don't work together. Why would manganese help any one with muscular tmj if their muscles are already tight due to being over worked or stressed out to begin with?

Old 12-13-2006, 01:58 AM   #15
    mashpotato
    (female)

mashpotato HB User

Thank you all

Ive stopped taking the magnesium as yesterday i sat down to right a pile of Christmas cards and my neck and Temple area started to twitch quite bad and this frightened me as Ive had the odd twitching in my face since my tmj was diagnosed but nothing like this so I'm just taking my multivitamin a b complex and glucosamine and fish oil

Thank you all for your help i feel a bit lost sometimes and have got to the stage were i would try anything just to get back to "normal"

Closed Thread