It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• TMJ? tatanus? superbug?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
    miyu
    Veteran
    (female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User
    TMJ? tatanus? superbug?

I wonder which I have, or manybe 2 them.

do you want to know how it started with me? I just got back from mexico,, like a few hours before, and I was in sooo much pain in my ear, the pain got so much worse the next day, I had to take soooo many pain killers, and I was feeling kinda plugged in my ear. the pain killers made the pain go down but my jaw was still feeling huge. or my ear, I should say. sometimes they didn't work at all and I was taking strong stuff. and my ear was still killing me, so i went to the walk in clinic and she looked in my ear and said. wow, what a bad infection, we gotta get antibiotics in to you right away."

I finished them after 4 days and I was STILL in so much pain. taking pain killers every 2 hours sometimes, and even after that I was hurting, and my jaw was locked.

the next doctor I saw pushed on my jaw and I cried, it was sooo bad. he said " you have TMJ so you need to see a dentist, but you also need to tell your family doctor right away." he said I still have an infection and gave me more antibiotics. so I booked for both. and took more antibiotics

the dentist said I need to come back when I can open my jaw a bit more, since it was locked semi closed.

these seemed to work, I had a fever but it went down, and sweat like crazy all night, then I was able to open my jaw again, slow, but it was opening all the way, and I took less pain killers.

a week later, I didn't need any pain killers, and I saw my family dr. and she checked my infection, and its STILL going, so she gave me some ear drops. she sent me for an X-ray, because I have neck pain, and swelling, I guess to make sure that I don't have tatanus, when I told her I was in mexico, and have lots of open skin, and my last tetnus shot was 9.5 years ago. she didn't say anything. i was hopeing she would say "you don't have tatnus" but she didn't...

took the new ear drops, and it seemd to bring back all the pain again. it made my ear feel clogged like it did before, and I'm back to taking lots of pain killers and usuing ice or heat on my jaw.

so it could be TMJ, becasue I have a bad overbite, and I clench my teeth, making it worse. my jaw could be saying thats, enough... but why can I not get rid of this ear infection? I can't help but to think once the infection is takin care of, everything should be getting better.

at night my jaw gets stiff, buy I can always force it open or closed. so I'm still on antibiotics, and ear drops. and I have another appoitment with my dentist today.

is anyone intrested in me keeping you updated? I really hope this pain does not go on and on for a year like some people with TMJ here. some pain I can handle but when its a 10+ and I'm crying and pain killers don't work, I can't handle that.

so is it TMJ, and a really bad infection, maybe even a superbug that will not respond to antibiotics?
    or is it tetanus? something I know nothing about... what could i expect living with tetanus?

Last edited by miyu; 05-10-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
    alien7
    (female)

alien7 HB User
    Re: TMJ? tatanus? superbug?

I doubt it's tetanus because the reason the jaw locks for people with tetanus is usually due to muscle spasms holding the jaw shut and you would probably be in ICU by now. Not only that your whole body would be spasming out of control. So, I think it's most likely TMJ or an bad ear infection. I think that infection you got in your ear is the cause of all your problems. Or maybe your wisdom teeth are growing in that can cause jaw stiffness and pain. And get a tetanus shot just to make sure.

Last edited by alien7; 05-10-2007 at 12:56 PM.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
    miyu
    Veteran
    (female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

well its not my wisdom teeth, because I got an exray and the dentist said I will never get them so lucky me!! but it is a bad infection still really hurts, even with lots of drugs I hope it goes away soon. I hate eating baby food, lol

the other night all the muscles on my right side were hurting, and the first night my hands and feed were clenched aswell as my jaw, I have been taking muscle relaxcents everyday for 2 weeks along with strong pain killers. the dentist gave me them for my jaw, but it seems to work for my body too.

I don't think I have any spasms though, not sure really what they are, is that the only clear sign of teanus? My muscles are tight, but my one dr I saw told me it's stress, and to take time off work, and so on. so I am, and it seems to be getting better. when I first got it I couldn't type well.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
    alien7
    (female)

alien7 HB User

I'm glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. Spasms are involuntary muscles contractions. That's one of the main symptoms of tetanus, the spasms usually start with the chewing muscles causing the jaw to lock and as tetanus progresses it causes spaticity throughout the body and it's painful.

Other symptoms usually include, difficulty swallowing, stiffness in the neck, back, and shoulders, elevated blood pressure, weakness and seizures. As, you can see tetanus is a very serious bacterial infection and only gets worse without any treatment for it.

I hope your ear infection clears up and you feel better soon... and one more thing baby food is delicious.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #5
    miyu
    Veteran
    (female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

Oh my god I’m about to start crying, because today I had new symptoms and I just came on to describe them to you and you just said them! Last night I wanted to come on but I was weak and couldent. I have been really shaky as well, but I believe it is because I just had a change in my inhaler, as my asthma has gotten really bad. But today I was feeling better so I went to see spiderman 3, I was watching Spiderman 3 (man it was good) when suddenly I couldn’t swallow. Well I could, but it was really painful. My muscles in my neck seemed to clench up just as my jaw, and my shoulders were also twitching just a bit, they flex, and release, I guess that is a spasm? when I rub it, it feels better. I get anxiety easily so i started getting chest pain as well, I was thinking I was going to chock, so I had to stop and relax myself, message myself. becasue I think its stress, while I was watching the movie I was moving around a lot to position myself in a way that I could best stretch my muscles and swallow without pain. With time, it went away, but my jaw is always hurting... I CAN move it, but its stiff. Now its both sides that hurt and not just one. And right now I’m losing my voice a bit too. Only when I start talking, but as I clear my thought I get it back. I’m freaking out as this has never happened to me before, I’m usually sick because of stress, but this is different and scary. and I really think I need a back massage, but can’t afford it at the moment. My stress is so bad... I think I’m gonna die.

Anyone wanna come massage me? Lol just kidding...

I got an X-ray Friday, and I guess I will find anything out Monday, my family doctor wants to see me if I get worse, so I will try to see her too on monday, I don’t really know if I’m worse, or if my symptoms are changing. and I get my mouth guard Monday as well. My head is killing me, and I’m still fighting this superbug.
    I also get eye pain, which I read alot of you also get, I think its because the muscles in my eyes are straining to see, all my muscles seem to be connected, I have glasses and I hardly ever wear them, so I put them on, and it seemed to help a bit. Relax my eye muscles a bit. why make them work extra hard when I'm already going through this?

Last edited by miyu; 05-12-2007 at 11:31 PM.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
    miyu
    Veteran
    (female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

Quote:
    And get a tetanus shot just to make sure.
    I don't think I can get a tetanus shot if I have tetanus, I think it will just make me worse. but I will ask my doctor on monday.

ohhh I feel another fever comming on, if I feel well tommrow I will come back to check this post.

Last edited by miyu; 05-12-2007 at 11:50 PM.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
    alien7
    (female)

alien7 HB User

Yea, muscle spasms are like twitches. Well, I guess all you can do now is wait to see what your doctor says and make sure you let him know about your new symptoms. Just try and remain optimistic , you're not gonna die even if it is tetanus there is treatment and anxiety and stress just make things worse. I hope you get well soon.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #8
    miyu
    Veteran
    (female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

thanks! I just finished my meds, So I need to see the doctor now and see whats up, today I feel a lot better I slept a lot the last few days I woke up feeling horrible, but once I got out of bed and got my muscles working it seemed to get better, like the other day I had this feeling my muscles like I had worked out really hard, they were all really sore and it was painful to move, so I thought maybe I should work out just to see if it gets better, and it did. I guess it’s the same thing with all health issues, diet and exercise really help to boost the immune system.

Also I was reading all the post of other people with TMJ and they all have the same symptoms. Like difficulty swallowing and muscle spasms. And everything only they are not fighting an infection. So maybe it still is TMJ. Well I think if its tetanus then once I beat it, it should be gone. But if its TMJ I might have it for a very long time. So I don’t know which I would rather have...
    I’ll keep you posted.

[Please do not use cuss/slang words. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 05-13-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
    alien7
    (female)

alien7 HB User

I'm glad to hear you are doing better. How did your doctor's visit go?

Old 05-17-2007, 12:45 AM   #10
    miyu
    Veteran
    (female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

went well, the infection is gone,

then after a few days I felt even better, nothing at all at the moment, no TMJ or anything, neck is fine, muscles are fine.

I have been getting a fever when I get tired, and when I wake up I have morning stiffness but I don't think it is related at all to TMJ, I think my immune system is messed up. in my family we have immune system problems. I don't know if I should worry about it or not. I'm jsut trying not to run myself down.

Last edited by miyu; 05-17-2007 at 06:17 AM.

Closed Thread