It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Neuromuscular Orthotic

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
    alorcoy
    (female)

alorcoy HB User
    Neuromuscular Orthotic

I have been treated with a neuromuscular orthotic since the end of February. The appliance, which cost $5,000 for it and the following adjustments, is supposed to have been fashioned in my "relaxed" jaw position with the help of computer imaging and TENS treatment. While the orthotic has helped, I continue to have the feeling that my jaw is "jammed" up on the left side, and still have headaches, dizziness, muscle spasms and pain in my head, neck and shoulders (although it has been reduced by about a third). I am wondering if I just need to keep giving the orthotic more time. I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried neuromuscular dentistry and when/how they saw their treatment progress. I believe most of my problem is muscular, but this jammed feeling and some comments the dentist made about my X-ray have me wondering if there are other joint issues as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: Neuromuscular Orthotic

I know that jammed feeling - mine moves from side to side, not sure why though - its making me think my own jaw no longer fits in my mouth. When one side feels OK the other side feels jammed and vice versa - I never feel OK on both sides at the same time. Frustrating. It also affects my neck so they may be related. What comments did the dr make?

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 05-15-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
    alorcoy
    (female)

alorcoy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
    I know that jammed feeling - mine moves from side to side, not sure why though - its making me think my own jaw no longer fits in my mouth. When one side feels OK the other side feels jammed and vice versa - I never feel OK on both sides at the same time. Frustrating. It also affects my neck so they may be related. What comments did the dr make?
    He said it looked liked it was 'slammed' back toward my skull, but made me feel as though the major problem was my occlusion and the muscle spasms the off-bite were causing. I also understood that the orthotic was supposed to pull my jaw back into place. It definitely feels like it's going in the right direction, but still feels pushed up there.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

That's what happened to me - one side slid backwards and caused the atlas or C1 vertebrae to move off center. The teeth on the side that initially moved were flattened indicating I also had an occlusal problem either from clenching or the crowns that had been done previously. My lower splint has these wing-like indentations at the ends of it that are supposed to prevent the jaw from going backward but sometimes I feel like although they may be doing that this forces one side to swing sidewards instead of just going up and down when I open my mouth. Numerous drs have told me my tmj is muscular only since all my MRIs, tomograms and CT scans look good - except that I have some arthritis or degenerative changes on the side that slid backwards - but I kind of feel like you do since it is hard to believe that that alone could cause so much pain and dysfunction - one would think there must be some structural abnormality or problem.

If your seeing any improvement with symptoms then its probably just going to take a bit more time.

Closed Thread