It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Dr Sarno and his book

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2007, 06:50 AM   #1
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
    Dr Sarno and his book

anyone read Dr. Sarno and his tms books? I have been.
    I've tried two tmj dentist , each one made me worst, put the jaw back, the second said th jaw needed to come out. The second one sent me to an osteopath which now I ended up with neck and back pain and she did no good.

I went and got new dentures made by a prosthodontist- they know about bite- figured I'm done with tmj dentist- got them Mom. No relief yet, but at least I have a lower more balanced bite- the other tmj drs. had my bite so screwed up on my other dentures.

Anyway Dr. Sarno says tmj may be a part of TMS- is yours is mostly muscular. I don't know if its true or not. I have got his books and Dr. Brady's painfree for life. They are interesting as I do say I believe in their theories.

After a couple months I will get a tomogram =need to go out of town for one but I did have a mri and my discs were fine. No one is messing on my bite anymore without actually knowing where my joints are.

The cranial osteopath actually made things worst it seems, kinda like my head bones are not in the right place.

I am also having a MRA of brain and neck because I have been having a humming in my head for the last year and a half. I have neck bugles but nothing that they say could cause these symptoms.

Both tmj dentists actually made my condition worst so be careful. They all have their own ideas. Bite too low, bite too high, bite adjustments, jaw back, jaw forward.

I am sure my bite has to be right now as this prostho has been in practice for 22 years. Just getting new dentures is a lot to adjust too so I can 't say much yet. He told me not to worry about my bite, just focus my mind on something else. He said no one has a perfect bite.

I know after two years of this I have a fear of eating, not to cause muscle spasms or pain. As a result I eat stressfully which I think can just add to the problems. I'm not saying its in our mind, but some of it may be.

Last edited by luvtocamp; 05-23-2007 at 07:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: Dr Sarno and his book

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvtocamp View Post
    Anyway Dr. Sarno says tmj may be a part of TMS- is yours is mostly muscular. I don't know if its true or not. I have got his books and Dr. Brady's painfree for life. They are interesting as I do say I believe in their theories.

The cranial osteopath actually made things worst it seems, kinda like my head bones are not in the right place.

Both tmj dentists actually made my condition worst so be careful. They all have their own ideas. Bite too low, bite too high, bite adjustments, jaw back, jaw forward.

I am sure my bite has to be right now as this prostho has been in practice for 22 years. Just getting new dentures is a lot to adjust too so I can 't say much yet. He told me not to worry about my bite, just focus my mind on something else. He said no one has a perfect bite.

I know after two years of this I have a fear of eating, not to cause muscle spasms or pain. As a result I eat stressfully which I think can just add to the problems. I'm not saying its in our mind, but some of it may be.
    Although I haven't read the books, theories, even when they make the most sense are sorely tested when applied in real world cases - a lot has to do with the dr. My 1st tmj dr had me read the book he wrote on tmj which is what convinced me to allow him to treat me and my tmj was made worse afterwards and he couldn't explain why.

Good to know about the cranial osteopath - I wanted to try one but my current tmj dr was not too keen on it.

The same happened to me - jaw forward, no back, splints wider, no narrower, more height, less height - I have no clue anymore and just miss being able to open and close and rest my jaw and muscles w/o any thought or effort.

I have thought about going to one, but unfortunately I feel the prosthodontist that replaced my existing anterior bridges casued my tmj in the first place. Again, it gets down to finding the right dr regardless of his specialty.

I feel the same way - I avoid dining out with family and friends, know in my heart I will never want to date again for fear of being kissed - how do you explain to people that these things, including a fear of sneezing or a sudden burst of laughter produces pain or spasms which makes you want to avoid doing any of those things. I know I will be needing a shrink or therapist soon.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

Telma- there has been a lot of reported cases of success with his therories.
    I sure understand how you feel. Check out the tms support group and at least read some post. I go into the prostho today , my lower partial is killing me where it attaches to the teeth. Yes stay away from the osteopath, actually I pick up Sarno book to rid myself of the back and neck pain she gave me.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
    mooaa
    (female)

mooaa HB User

hi luvtocamp, yes i know dr sarno about 5 yrars ago and i had sucesss to fet rid of my tmj pain in the pas using his theory but this tim i failed to do it but may be because i go to medical doctors which feed my brain that the pain is more physical and distract me from the real cause which it might be tms
    i have all his books and dr drady pain free or life i like what he use as another term for the tms which is overlaoded autonomic system (not sure of the spelling)
    i go also for the tms board and they r wonderfull and great support u can go there to disscuss it there but i did and they all told me i have to believe in the theory and stop thinking physically but i can not the tmj is different from the back pain that they got rid of it using the theory so i can tell tmj is part of both physically and part of it tms which is causing us to continue have the pain even after the original cause is already healed
    thanks for this thread i thought about to write it a lot but i think no body here will respond well to th theory since this a very painfull condition so go ahead try it it is not gonna hurt but it might help and nothng to loss it is very cheap it does not need money as the tmj doctor but it need you to stop thinking about the tmj and any other pain.
    best wishes

Last edited by mooaa; 05-23-2007 at 10:24 AM.

Closed Thread