It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• TMJ and ear fullness - how to fix this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #16
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User
    Re: TMJ and ear fullness - how to fix this?

Hmmm, lots to think about. I wonder if my problem is stemming from TMJ. If I yawn I have to be very careful or my jaw will lock. I don't clench or grind my teeth at night. However, I do have a cross bite. But, none of this is new news.

So, if it is TMJ I wonder why it waited until now to give me the present of this ear fullness.

I am going to try the cheek muscle idea. I look at it like this. I certainly can't hurt.

How's everyone else doing? Anyone making any progress?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #17
    Beppie1
    (female)

Beppie1 HB User

I finally broke down and called the TMJ clinic where I have gone before. They said the ear fullness and other symptoms I described, did sound like a recurrence of the TMJ. She said if the joint is inflammed it can cause constriction in the Eustachian tubes. That is what it feels like. She said they have some kind of cortisone patch that they can inject topically that would help calm down the joint if that is the problem. So now waiting for doctor referral, etc.

Since I have a recent cancer diagnosis, it is understandable I would think, eek!!, another tumor. I guess I will see what the clinic thinks about getting a cat scan of the head. Every other square inch of my body has been scanned or ultrasounded in the last 6 months.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:41 AM   #18
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

I don't like the idea of having to use cortisone. I am holding off on a scan due to insurance issues and super high copays.

I did look around for the cheek muscle thing but couldn't really find anything. Maybe I can see if I can get a referral to the TMJ Doc nearby. My ENT hasn't done much good so far.

It's just maddening!!!!!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:33 AM   #19
    Beppie1
    (female)

Beppie1 HB User

It has been my experience you have to go to the experts. Both times I went to the TMJ clinic previously, I had already been through the round of GP, ENT etc., and nobody mentioned TMJ. I figured it out myself. Good luck!!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #20
    nowwhat?!
    (female)

nowwhat?! HB User

the majority of these posts in this thread have been dead on describing my own ear fullness. My ear fullness comes and goes, just on my right side, and when it is in full effect I can't hear out of that ear. There is a lot of information on treatments that might help. But my question is... does anyone know what exactly causes this, or why the ear fulness can come and go?
    I have been to an ENT who said everything was fine. But I know, and now know others who have seen an ENT and have the same symptoms and we are not making this up.
    Thanks!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:57 AM   #21
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Nope, we're not making it up, that's for sure.

I am going to move on the the TMJ Doc. But, I am going to talk to my Primary first. It's time for the annual physical and he's the first one I saw about it.

He said the ear drum looked shiny but he wasn't sure. So he gave me Allegra DA to try. No good except a racing heart rate. I emailed him and I asked him about Swim Ear. He said it was a good product and to try it. He also said if this problem did not go away his next line of action would be a Medrol pack (steroids) and he did not want me to have to take that.

Long story short I tried everything I could except the Medrol. Then I saw the ENT and an audiologist. Got the all clear and some samples of Singulair.

This started in January so I'm really tired of it.

So I am hoping the TMJ idea will work.

Anyone else out there have any input, experience and ideas???

Deb

Old 09-21-2007, 05:23 AM   #22
    Beppie1
    (female)

Beppie1 HB User

I believe it is a Eustachian Tube problem that causes the ear fullness. I also went to an ENT who said there is nothing wrong.

My theory is that the Eustachian Tube contracts under the pressure of an inflammed TMJ joint. When I talked to the TMJ clinic,they agreed.

I can pull on the ear as a young child with an ear infection would, and it helps. I believe this opens up the tube. Steroids have helped me too.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #23
    patti23
    (female)

patti23 HB User

when all this started for me, my primary doc gave me a medrol dose pack. this did nothing for me, so i went to an ent. He prescribed 20 mgs of prednisone 3x's a day tapering off over a period of 3 weeks. This also did nothing for me but caused great anxiety and depression. After that I gave up and accepted this ear fullness as part of my tmj. There is nothing physically wrong with my ears. But I can't hear!!!!!!!! It also causes the fullness where my ears feel like they could explode. I missed my chiro visit this week and I do feel the difference. The fullness feels worse. I know I am clenching at night because I wake up and my jaw feels lopsided. I have a dental appt coming up and need to ask for a new mouthguard. The nti device I have makes my top front teeth feel loose. I have also had periodontal disease for 30 yrs.

Patti

Old 09-21-2007, 08:01 PM   #24
    Liz74
    (female)

Liz74 HB User

I have not had any hearing loss, just fullness, dizziness (including the sudden feeling of spinning), major loss of concentration, difficulty swallowing, and some cognitive decline. That last one is the worst- getting words backwards in sentences while speaking (reversing verb and noun) or using the opposite word of what I mean (refrigerator vs incubator) because I'm worried it could start affecting my job and it's embarassing. My night guard should be in by the end of next week and I'm on vacation all week so I hope to have all these problems gone not long after that. For those who have had night guards and have had relief, how many nights does it take to start feeling better?

Oh, and in discussing this with my mom she mentions my dad has sleep apnea and one of 2 genetic markers for narcolepsy! I could have used that information a while ago! If the night guard doesn't help I will talk to my doctor about a sleep study given my dad has sleep apnea.

The Following User Says Thank You to Liz74 For This Useful Post:
    wifewithtmj (10-19-2011)
    Old 09-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #25
    legallyblondied
    Veteran
    (female)

legallyblondied HB User

Hi, my name is Karen and i have never posted on this board
    before. After reading all of your posts which i found very interesting since i suffer some of the ear fullness and swishing sounds in the ears and the popping and crackling which i have just learned to live with. I have no fluid and the
    doc just said to deal with it. I think anxiety excerbates the
    problem but it is not the root cause. If any of you have a chance look up or type in the search box what is neuromuscular dentistry and neuromuscular dentistry LVI and
    neuromuscular dentistry sleep microarousals and see if this
    sheds any light on any of our problems....now this does not
    come from any doctors point of view but these are dentists
    that have done postgrad work in neuromuscular dentistry
    and bruxing and clenching. The poster who massages her
    cheek or facial muscles finds relief because the muscles
    are in a contracted state and they spasm. I think dentists
    use a tens unit to do the same thing as well as finding
    where the jaw placement should be and where it is relaxed
    and the clenching will stop. I think a nightguard will help
    the bruxing or grinding but it will do nothing to stop why
    you are grinding and it is not from stress but because your
    bite is off.....look some of this up and see if it helps...just
    my 2 cents.....Karen

Old 09-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #26
    mizzdy
    (female)

mizzdy HB User

Hi,
    I am new here but came across this posting and see how many are in the same boat as I am. I have been to drs after drs with so many problems and no one can figure out what is wrong with me. I have had the ear fullness going on 7 years now, also dizziness, being off balance and so many other things. I have been told that I have every symptom of MS but the testing says I don't. I ended up at the dentist this morning with what I thought was some teeth needing to be pulled and was told it wasn't my teeth. The dentist refered me to an omf and have an appt. next week. I have thought all along that it was my jaw causing many of my problems but no dr. would even go as far as telling me it was a possiblity. I saw one poster here say that they had problems with words, concentration amoung others, can TMJ cause all those types of problems also? I have had these problems for a long time now and was told they were due to migraines but now I am wondering if it can be both. Anyone here help me with this?
    Dee Ann

Old 09-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #27
    Beppie1
    (female)

Beppie1 HB User

Debillating pain could certainly cause all of these.

Today was my first trip back to the TMJ clinic in about 4 years. It is amazing how much better I feel already. First the PT did a variety of checks like how far could I open my mouth, checking the bite, etc. She then did a variety of external and internal trigger/pressure point relief and massage around the neck, base of skull and inside my mouth.

The relief was amazing and I could hear better almost immediately. She also hooked my jaw up to four electrodes and did heat and micro current stimulation. I could have slept on the table for hours, I felt so much better.

She has given me some things to do at home like neck stretches and cheek/chin massage. I will go twice a week for a couple of weeks.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #28
    daisy808
    (female)

daisy808 HB User
    Red face Re: TMJ and ear fullness - how to fix this?

Ive tried a mouthgaurd..that didnt help...I also tried nasonex, that def didnt do much.

I have some muffled hearing on the left ear side where I have this fullness, it seems to come and go...like once a year whenever I get sick with a virus etc my ears get pressure-filled but each year the pressure seems to cause a bit more problem to my ear...I feel like somethings narrowing overtime...But i dont know?

For TMJ people ...there is the "pintos ligament" which is right next to the tmj joint disk and this ligament connected to the tmj joint, middle ear, and eustachian tube area....so when we get sick this pushes and pulls on things and thus we have problems..

Im going to try some more B12 shots, sometimes that helps relieve some pressure/heaviness....But i still worry about the fact that this gets worse over the years... (Yes it comes and goes, but when it goes it leaves me a little worse each year

Anyone else find any hope for this ear pressure??

Old 05-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #29
    Mlouisa
    (female)

Mlouisa HB User

Hello everybody..

Back to basics.. this maybe a silly sugestion but besides the exercises that I religiously do everyday, in my early days when my muscles were hurting I would get a buzz in my ears and I coulnt hear very well., but I got myself one of those bags filled with cereals that you pop in the microwave for 3 to 5 minuts and I used to apply it to my face and after a few days it would really help. To tell you the truth even now 5 years later when I am more stressed and my ears and my jaw hurt and I apply my heating pad for as long as I can take(twice a day) it and it really helps. me .. Try it ..

Last edited by Mlouisa; 05-15-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #30
    eyesworld
    Veteran
    (female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

I have this ear fullness also, just another in the continuing saga of side effects of my jaw tendonitis. Has anyone ever tried Lipoflavinoids?

Closed Thread