It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• TMD & the Neck Shoulder Connection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
    pipdog
    Inactive
    (male)

pipdog HB Userpipdog HB User
    TMD & the Neck Shoulder Connection?

Apart from the pain/soreness in my face and the clicking, my neck and shoulders are really stiff. So I've been doing neck rolls and other exercises to try to loosen up and every time I get a) good short term relief and b) flickering around my left eye. Left eye is where the major pain/discomfort is located.
    Can anybody enlighten me as to what's going on or has had similar experiences?
    Dentist who is doing my splint says he has a hunch I am in the 1 in 20 of patients who may need chiropractic treatment.

Last edited by pipdog; 12-01-2007 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Grammer probs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
    Mich5
    (female)

Mich5 HB User
    Re: TMD & the Neck Shoulder Connection?

I'm currently experiencing severe neck and shoulder stiffness, among many other irritating symptoms like nonstop pain, tingling in my arms and hands, back pain which I think it coming from the shoulders being so stiff, so I'm putting pressure on my back, which in turn, is causing my legs to feel heavy and weak too.

Regarding the stiffness, what does it feel like to you? Do you feel like your muscles just don't want to move easily? Are you finding that you sort of compensate for the stiffness by using other muscles that WILL move better? I almost feel like these stiff muscles are weak in that they just don't feel like moving easily. I have shaky sensations too.

Anyone have this?

I can't wait to go to my neurodentist first appointment in two weeks.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
    pipdog
    Inactive
    (male)

The more I go on in my TMD journey the more I realise what a role stress plays. Our face is what we show the world and it reflects how we deal with what is being thrown at us. We tense up, we clench, we grind.

Sometimes I think I should go to India and learn to relax and follow that line of Krishnamurthi 'where are you going? you are already there'

Old 12-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
    kerk
    (male)

kerk HB User

I too used to get the same symptoms, when the TMD was bad. Twitching near eyes disappeared when clicking and stress did, and the same will probably happen for you. Getting rid of nighttime grinding was the key.

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 AM   #5
    MissHeadache
    (female)

MissHeadache HB User

I don't know about the eye, but I do have terrible soreness/stiffness in my neck and shoulders too. The problem started around the same time as my TMJ and when my jaw and headaches get worse my neck and back get worse too and vice versa. I think it is all to do with the TMJ making you hold the other muscles in your face and neck funny, as a way of compensating for the TMJ problem - I'm convinced I'm developing a hunched back as a result of unintentionally holding my neck and head forward and raising my shoulders. I also get the tingly numb hand/arm symptom. I agree that stress does make it worse. I'm hoping that when I get my spint made in January that these symptoms might ease a little. Has anyone found that splints help sore back and neck muscles as a side effect of easing the TMJ?

Old 12-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
    alorcoy
    (female)

alorcoy HB User

Definitely neck and shoulder connection. Please be SOOOO careful when you're doing neck rolls and stretches. I've been doing some aggressive physical therapy and while stretching my neck heard a loud pop and woke up the next day hardly able to move my neck. Doc thinks I herniated a disc and am on steroids and painkiller.

Some of the muscles I've found are most involved/painful for me: trapezious, sternocleidomastoid and scalenes.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 AM   #7
    pipdog
    Inactive
    (male)

I had a full exam last week, the dentist palpated the muscles in my neck and shoulders and they all hurt like mad. He said he was only applying 4 ounzes of pressure so I was really surprised. He was basically saying to me that these were knock-on effects of my mandible being misaligned so he fitted me with a Gelb lower repositioning splint.
    Only been a few days in but I notice that my head bones on the good side are starting to get a bit sore so something is underway

Last edited by pipdog; 05-08-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
    abond0073
    (male)

abond0073 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pipdog View Post
    The more I go on in my TMD journey the more I realise what a role stress plays. Our face is what we show the world and it reflects how we deal with what is being thrown at us. We tense up, we clench, we grind.

Sometimes I think I should go to India and learn to relax and follow that line of Krishnamurthi 'where are you going? you are already there'

Sorry I am going to disagree with this.

Stress does not cause TMJ - It only makes the problem worse.
    In fact, nobody has been able to prove what causes TMJ!

It is very easy for doctors/TMJ dentists to label stress in this condition?
    Do they not realise teh stress this condition actually causes the patient?

to any egotistical doctor/dentist, I would really like to ask how they would feel if they contracted TMJ and it ruined their plans and stopped them getting where they are today! then they will know what stress means.

sorry for the rant

Last edited by abond0073; 09-17-2008 at 06:44 AM.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

Yes tmd and neck shoulder go hand in hand. With me I kinda think the neck came first, hard to know.

I am also going to PT and the one therapist was so rough with my neck the first visit I can still feel it. I then had another guy who when he touched me I felt very uncomfortable and now I have his assistant who is much more gentle.

I do feel that stress can cause tmd for some people but not for all.

I feel that just having tmd can cause a lot of stress. Lucky is the person who is treated by a dentist who has tmd, I think they can be more understanding.

Pipdog- when my bite changes I can also feel it in my head bones, so most people won't understand when you say that, but not me, I can feel it too!!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I would agree that I don't think tmj or tmd is caused by stress - aggravated by it, yes, but not caused by it. I personally think too many drs and dentists use this as an excuse. What stress does do though is find an outlet or mechanism for venting or ridding itself and that is usually the weakest link in the body at the time. Several drs tried telling my mom her angina and subsequent heart attack was due to "anxiety and stress" and then one finally said she had heart disease which is quite prevalent in the family - then suddenly she no longer had anxiety or stress and now they were telling her she just needed to accept it whereas before they were telling her she needed to "calm down"?

Old 09-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #11
    temera2
    Veteran
    (female)

temera2 HB User

i AGREE , Stress does not CREATE TMJ, I HATE you dentists who tell us this

I hate them so so much .. i wish they contract tmj and then i can say ... hmm yes its stress well see you later i'm charging $400. Ive been made to feel bad by practitioner as they are too stupid to help me and i wish they had what i have.. i hate you people! They make me feel bad for my earaches... you people ARE STUPID And i hate you all!

Sorry but i have deep rooted anger... (which i must stop as my tmj will get worse due to STRESS,) STRESS, STRESS, i don't buy it , it aggravates you but doesn't cause it at all.. Doctors need to understand this and get of there lazy butts and do more! Sorry I'm finished ranting..

Kerk had said get rid of grinding and you'll be fine? How did you do this? - i don't know what to do ?

Old 09-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #12
    abond0073
    (male)

abond0073 HB User

i also do not buy the argument TMJ is caused by clenching

there are weight trainers in the gym - to lift they have to clench etc - they do not experience TMJ. i have seen lots of peopel clench their jaw, they do not have TMJ.

In one book i read, a woman gave labour - the first time she clenched she was in pain during labour
    she had a splint fitted before next labour - she clenched but had no pain

i saw one dentist who has TMJ. He told me that TMJ sufferers have a "structural abnormality" that causes these things etc. That could mean a number of things, but that hypotehsis makes sense. at least that hypothessi does not blame the sufferer.

before i developed TMj symptoms i was living a very happy enthusiasitic motivated life. i loved doing things, i loved challeNges and didnt understand what stress meant. i enjoyed my whole life. i was then told stress and anxiety etc caused my TMJ. As a result of being told that, i equated everything to stress. i was indoctrinated, and that "bullying" by medical professionals has contributed significantly to my condition

i would give anything to regain my pre tmj life. in fact stress
    (positive stress etc) is exciting!

Old 09-18-2008, 06:10 AM   #13
    temera2
    Veteran
    (female)

temera2 HB User
    Question Re: TMD & the Neck Shoulder Connection?

hey abond0073, im under the belief that clenching aggravates the TMJ and same with Stress but doesn't cause it..but oh my gosh i agree with your theory that alot of people clench but don't have tmj like gym people, one odd thing is though my brother after doing weights has developed tmj symptoms.. but i think this is the theory ..

Everyone suffers tmj however some people really have structural problem and still they don't suffer.. however things such as stress and clenching can bring on tmj symptoms? I dont know but thats what i think..

I HATE the fact they cant tell us why we have .. i feel out of control.. whats other peoples theory on this?

abond0073 it is also wonderful to meet you and have you on this board? What symptoms do you suffer due to tmj ?

Love lots

Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #14
    abond0073
    (male)

abond0073 HB User

hI TEMARA

nice to meet you too

i have had the usual tinnitus, ear pain "eye graines", sinus problems mucucu congestions but the mains pain is now chronic masseter spasms -

i never was a grinder, but my teeth became worn for some reason even after being in a splint for years

i think clenching etc aggrivates TMJ - it does not cause it necessarily. same with stress.

i spoke to tmj assocaition - apparently a lot of research is heading in the TMj direction in terms of pain - why do some people have structural abnormlities (e.g popping discs) but no pain or symptoms? the research may shwo that the way soem people are structured (innervation, ginetics - look you said your brother developed it!, musclar etc) could predispose them to TMJ? This could add more science to the treatment and make the trial and error (splints etc)become redundant. In addition, teh fibromyalgai/TMJ connection may become more established.

hope you are feeling better temara babe, be strong xx

Last edited by abond0073; 09-18-2008 at 08:14 AM.

Closed Thread