It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Healthy soft-diet suggestions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
    webo
    (male)

webo HB User
    Healthy soft-diet suggestions?

I still have a 35mm opening, so I realize I do have more flexibility than many on this board in terms of the range of foods I can eat. Obviously carrots, unsliced apples, sub-sandwiches and gum are long gone, but my OS also said eating salads isn't good either. I mix in a salad every few weeks because I want to eat healthy. Does anyone have suggestions for healthy soft foods?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: Healthy soft-diet suggestions?

I'm not sure how healthy some of the following will be since I am more intent on just getting any food down and keeping my weight up but maybe some of these may appeal to you - some are pretty obvious which you may already have tried or are currently eating:

yogurt( I prefer with fruit on the bottom), cottage cheese/with fruit
    Ensure or other proteing/vitamin drinks
    V8 juice
    applesauce or baked apples (I skin and slice them, put them in a pie pan, sprinkle cinnamon sugar on them and bake for an hour or until soft)
    canned fruit (dietetic/no sugar)
    vegetables - I over cook mine till they are very soft which I know reduces their health benefits but its better than not eating them at all
    jello/puddings - use skim milk if you prefer
    peanut butter
    Salads - if you like oil and vinegar or Italian dressing - mix it with your salad an hour or more before eating and it will soften the leaves a bit. I find Romaine or spinach easier than iceberg lettuce.
    Cereals - any kind - just let it soak in milk for 10-15 mins and get soggy or try instant flavored oatmeal or Kashi Go lean. Quaker has oatmeal breakfast bars that are pretty soft if you microwave them for 30 secs.

In terms of protein I find I am eating more fish and chicken in general so I just make sure not to overcook either and use sauces/marinades, etc to help keep them tender.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
    mashpotato
    (female)

mashpotato HB User

Hello
    After a year of mashpotato ,soup, custard , smoothies my best friend became a pair of scissors !!! i can now eat a better range of foods if i cut everything up to small slices and swallow i find this most useful in eating fruit takes ages but at least I'm getting fresh fruit down me ......... but oh how i long to eat a big French stick (sub sandwich i think over there ) piled with cheese and chutney and a bag of crisps (chips ) i could liquidize it i suppose but i don't think it would be the same lol

Old 01-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
    webo
    (male)

webo HB User

Thank you so much.

Thelma-Louise, do you think it's bad to eat salads, even of the Romaine variety (which I have been eating)? How often do you do it?

Old 01-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

No - I don't thinks its bad as long as you keep it to small mouthfuls - so cut it up if you have to. I would be more concerned about chewy foods such as thick meats or breads or crunchy food like croutons or nuts - you do need to exercise the facial and jaw muscles so they do not atrophy but you don't want to over work them so they become tired or strained. I'm not eating salads as often I I ought to - maybe once or twice a week - I do find them to be a challenge as well - but I also have a swallowing difficulty. I find it doesn't really give me that "full" feeling I am wanting so I tend to eat more fulling foods like soups, potatoes, vegetables, etc. Its ironic b/c prior to the tmj I used to eat salad every day at work - so I do miss it quite a bit. I was also heavier back then - wonder if it was from all that salad dressing I used. LOL

Closed Thread