It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Huge masseter muscle, deprogrammer or splint? Help.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
    nextlilypad
    (female)

nextlilypad HB User
    Huge masseter muscle, deprogrammer or splint? Help.....

I've had an issue with occlusion for sometime now and my masseter muscles are quite enlarged and painful. On one side of my face the muscle actually drops below the jawline. It's proposed now that I try a deprograming device to relax the muscle. Another dentist is suggesting splint therapy. Any thoughts on which one would work better in this case? I don't have TMJ in the typical sense as my jaw joints appear to be OK. When I'm able to relax the muscles I can have an evaluation of my occlusion so that I can proceed with dental work hopefully to correct this problem permanently. Also, does anyone have experience with these muscles shrinking back to normal or will I need surgery to correct this? Thanks, all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
    pipdog
    Inactive
    (male)

pipdog HB Userpipdog HB User
    Re: Huge masseter muscle, deprogrammer or splint? Help.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nextlilypad View Post
    I've had an issue with occlusion for sometime now and my masseter muscles are quite enlarged and painful. On one side of my face the muscle actually drops below the jawline. It's proposed now that I try a deprograming device to relax the muscle. Another dentist is suggesting splint therapy. Any thoughts on which one would work better in this case? I don't have TMJ in the typical sense as my jaw joints appear to be OK. When I'm able to relax the muscles I can have an evaluation of my occlusion so that I can proceed with dental work hopefully to correct this problem permanently. Also, does anyone have experience with these muscles shrinking back to normal or will I need surgery to correct this? Thanks, all.

Since I started to wear a splint my face has radically changed. Before I had really pumped up facial muscles especially the masseters, which made my face look wider than long. I noticed it but put it down to ageing or weight gain. The first dentist I saw who realised I had bruxing issues said I was permanently giving my jaw muscles a work out.

I think to get your muscles back to normal you need a splint to readjust the way your teeth come together. Don't even think about surgery!

In my case my mandible was too far back causing the muscles to work at a fore-shortened length. The first month the splint worked by taking the teeth out of the equation in determining where the bite is, and allowed the mandible to find the position it was comfortable in. The top of the splint is flat so you kind of slide around on it at first which is weird but quickly I noticed I found a position which was more comfortable.
    This down and forward position relaxed the facial muscles and lengthened my face - no more pumped up cheek muscles and looking younger as well. I know what they mean by 'dental facelift' now ;-)

Apart from the pumped up muscles, I had clicking and just when I though I was getting my head around TMJ dysfunction the dentist told me I also had/have cranial distortions as well so I wear an ALF appliance to even out my skull bones. The maxilla is basically the bottom 2/3 of the skull so its all interconnected.

Good luck with your treatment!

Last edited by pipdog; 05-29-2008 at 01:32 AM. Reason: typo

Old 06-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
    nextlilypad
    (female)

nextlilypad HB User
    Re: Huge masseter muscle, deprogrammer or splint? Help.....

Thanks pipdog for the encouragement. I was starting to feel down thinking that this may be a permanent condition. I really appreciate you response.

Closed Thread