It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

How Long do you wear your splint?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
taape
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
How Long do you wear your splint?

Tonight is my first night, I've got an upper splint. This is very tight. I'm supposed to wear this basically all the time. If I took it out for awhile during the day I wonder if that would be ok? I guess I'll have to carry around the plastic hook thingy the dentist gave me because I can't get this off, it's so tight.

Do people wear these things for years or are they a temporary treatment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2008, 02:22 AM   #2
MissHeadache
(female)

MissHeadache HB User
Re: How Long do you wear your splint?

If you're meant to wear it all the time, then don't take it out except to brush your teeth and clean the splint. I was told to wear mine all the time as if it comes out then you are putting the strain back on the jaw that the splint is trying to relieve. You will get used to it in about a week or two, soon it will feel wrong to take it out at all!

Old 09-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
taape
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Thanks Miss Headache. I wonder if I'll have to wear this indefinitely or this is temporary treatment. My orthodontist doesn't communicate well so I can't get much information even when I'm in the office.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:58 AM   #4
MissHeadache
(female)

MissHeadache HB User

If you are in what seems to be the most common treatment path you will probably wear your splint for a year or two (stage 1) then go into braces or have crowns to correct your bite permanenty (stage 2). Some people choose to just cotinue wearing their splint forever instead of having stage 2.

Closed Thread