It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Please Help Im In Agony

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
theborobabe
(female)

theborobabe HB User
Unhappy Please Help Im In Agony

Good evening, Ive just came across this site by chance, and Im so depeate for some help and advice.
About 2 and a half years ago I started having problems with my jaw clicking and ecoming painful, I went to my dentist and was diagnosed with TMJ problem and was given a mouth guard to wear at night to ease the pain and was also given Ibroprufen 500mg to take.
This went on for several months so my dentist refered me to the hospital.
I saw consulatnat who took x rays and told me what I already knew that it was my TMj joint (right side) After several visits to the hospital I was still in pain, so I saw another consultant, who said to me that he could wire my jaw, but if he did this, once the wire was out, I would want it doing again to ease the pain etc etc, so instead of doing this, he said I neede physiotherapy.
I was given some little exercises to do, which was a complete waste of time to be honest and didnt help me one bit.
Eventaully over the next few months it seemed to settle down and go away, Or so I thought.Ive had no problems with it for a long time until 3 weeks ago It came back with avangence, and beleive me its more painful now then before, Its getting me down, The whole of my right side of my face is painful and yes, I do sometimes wake up with a sore ear.
I rang my dentist last week as its become unbareable and I was told Just to rest it and that she would refer me back to the hospital, which Im still waiting to here from.
Ive tried alsorts to ease the pain, heat pads, ice packs, Its so bad,I cant even eat a banana as I can hardly open my mouth, and when I do manage to eat something, Its starting to affect my left side also.
The tablets arent helping, I already take Morphine MSt twice day as I have a bad back and thats not even touching it.
I was wondering if anybody has experienced having their jaw wired and if it helped them, or what other surgical procedures are available.I would be so grateful for some advice.Many thanks Diane x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
taape
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Please Help Im In Agony

I can't give you any advice because I'm just at the beginning of treatment myself, but sorry to hear that your so uncomfortable. Can your jaw be fixed to work correctly, is that why the doctor wants to wire it? I hope you get some answers soon.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #3
MissHeadache
(female)

MissHeadache HB User

What exactly is the problem with your jaw? What did the x-ray show? Do you have displaced discs, is it dislocated, are there bone abnormalities etc? What the problem is will determine what type of treatment you have, though surgery should aways be the last resort!

Old 09-14-2008, 02:44 AM   #4
theborobabe
(female)

theborobabe HB User

Hi thanks for replying.I dont know what exactly is wrong with my jaw,as I was never told All that was said to me was its My TMJ Joint, and I was never shown the x rays, or given an explanation. The first time I went to the hospital, I was in the room less than 5 minutes and was told to come back 2 weeks later which I did, and saw a different consultant who was more helpful and he was the one who suggested wiring my jaw,even though it wasnt his field of work as he deals with facial- oral cancer problems and apparently he consultant I was suppose to be seeing was away in Iraq fighting Typical!.
As Ive said its top part of my jaw on my right side of my face/ear I cant chew well on this side anyway as I dont have any teeth at the side, so its difficult,Im only 35 years old,but this is really getting to me,,Something so small can casue all this pain.I dont know any options available and would be grateful for all help.I was given a mouth guard to wear from my dentist, A plastic mould that fits on my lower teeth but this makes my jaw worse and more painful so was told to stop wearing it.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
luvtocamp
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I can't imagine wiring your jaws shut for this unless your jaw is broke. You said you have no teeth on that side, that maybe the cause of the problem. Apparently you have a dentist , can he make you some sort of temp. partial to see if that helps.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
theborobabe
(female)

theborobabe HB User

Hi what I mean is at the right hand side of my mouth at the top I dont have any side teeth so cant chew properly anyway.Im going to ring my dentist today to see if she has refered me back to the hospital as I still havent heard anything and cant put up with this pain much longer, its driving me nuts.

Closed Thread