It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

TWO Questions

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
CaydenJ
(female)

CaydenJ HB User
TWO Questions

This misallligned spine is really affecting my breathing so I figure I need to get to a NUCCA chiropractic asap. Just in GENERAL, in most case scenarios, I'm just curious as to how payment works considering I havn't been able to work since all of this started. Is is pay-per-visit or is there a payment plan? And normally if conditions aren't too bad, typically, how long does treatment last because I really want to start having a life again, go to school and work and be able to work out!!!!! I'm too young to be stuck at home all the time!!!!!!! I feel like pulling all my hair out at the moment.

I know there are worse off than me but this is so frustrating that its scarred me for life no matter how much better I get I've just become much more compassionate so I guess not all's lost.

AND just for fun.... what's the first thing you're going to do the day you get better?

I'm going to go out and chug a few with my friends and enroll in 10 classes and get a job~

Last edited by CaydenJ; 09-19-2008 at 12:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
luvtocamp
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Re: TWO Questions

Take my friends out to lunch!!

My exp. with chiros is if they know you don't have ins. some will charge less, and also with the Nucca I think you have way less visits because they align just the top part of the spine. TL could tell you more.

I do know one thing tho, some practices will put you on plan , like 3 times a week for 4-6 week plan, those are the ones I would not go to.

I think some may have a payment plan too whereas others dont'. Usually the consult is free, so call a few and talk to them on the phone.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
temera2
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User

Hey this post broke my heart... You will be free okay i promise.. if you dont mind me asking how old are you?

I know how you feel hey !! I was just wondering which symptom made you stop working?

How do you support yourself...

I also lost my job but i am studying pretty hard out at the moment.. maybe you should join some classes it will take your mind of things? It so expensive hey .. i was having financial trouble before this but i am just sacrificing more and more and studying for a better future.. i am so determined now that i have tmj! I don't even go out! i just want to get my degree and work work work to support myself and my family.

Do you know how you say you are more compassionate, I've become more cynical and i guess sometimes less religious.. how shaky is that .. i used to be a completely different person but tmj has made me see the dark side of life.. i feel bitter. i need to get help on that ... at the very same time.. i have learnt so much as a person and i guess this life experience will never change me.. the sad thing is i cant imagine the day i will be free .. but if i am free the first thing i will do is keep thanking god, smile and then stay on this board and wait until you guys get better.. ill be here to tell you success does exist and be able to provide certain positive feedback.. i just wish i could hey ...i just want us to laugh and talk about how happy we are and then we can make a board dedicated to happiness!

But just to leave you on a positive note: Think about the day we will get better! Think.. we will be so so happy and people wouldn't understand why but we will feel sorry for healthy people as they never were given the opportunity to grow from this experience.. we will have the advantage now lets focus on the better part before we do that hehe

Love lots.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
Thelma-Louise
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Hi - I went to a NUCCA chiro for 7-8 months - of the 3 chiros I have gone to he was the only one who offered a payment discount if you paid for X number of visits in advance - which made me suspect of him to be honest. He didn't accept insurance but would provide a claim statement you could send to your insurance co for reimbursement. He did his own x-arys and also a surface EMG. After he reviewed my xrays with me and showed me what he felt was wrong - that my atlas was rotated 3/4 of a degree - he prepared a plan that basically started me at 2 visits a week for 4 months, and then once a week for 3 months. I did get some good results with him in terms of less dizzyness, nausea, ear ringing/noise, eye pain and I was finding it easier to swallow too but it did take me almost a month before I was holding his adjustments. But since they only adjust the c1 and c2 (atlas and axis) by the end of 7 months I wasn't seeing any other improvements in terms of my body pain and stiffness and muscle twitching in my arms and legs - not to mention my facial spasms. Around that time though I started with my current tmj dentist and then he referred me to my current cranial chiro who is a member of ICAK.

The NUCCA chiro I went to did his adjustments manually - basically you lie down on your side on a low table and he takes the side of his hand and just pushes it gently along your neck and jaw line just beneath your ear - but I guess it depends on what the problem is in terms of how and where he does his adjustments. They do have a machine that some drs use that supposedly is more precise in terms of making the adjustment through the ear, but my NUCCA chiro felt that a machine can not make "decisions" in terms of how much pressure to apply and when.

Now - what would I do when I get better - if I was to be realistic about it - I will have to get a job - I haven't worked in 4 yrs and have huge debts as you can imagine. But given that I have lost more than 4 yrs of my life to this - there is a part of me that would just like to go find a small shack on the beach somewhere and maybe teach part time and paint, play with my dogs and enjoy beautiful sunsets. After going through all of this I don't think I am capable of holding a high level corp position anymore......

Old 09-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
loudawg
(male)

loudawg HB User

CaydenJ,
Please give us an update on your NUCCA treatment. I'm considering seeing a NUCCA because some of my main symptoms (currenlty at least - dizziness, ear ringing and eye pain) seem treatable by NUCCA.

I currently see an Osteopath. I asked his opinion of NUCCA - he said the Osteopathic community doesn't look favorably at chiropractic because it doesn't recognize that the soft tissue (duramater) is what pulls the vertebrae out of alignment. That make sense on paper, but every treatment seems to be self-centered... so I keep it in my pocket as an option to pursue.

Wish you the best.

Once I get better, I'm going to switch jobs, take my son to Disneyland and spend a couple hundred bucks on something indulgent instead of Doctor's appointments. Thanks for asking the question - it actually cheered me up to think about what happens after.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
luvtocamp
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

loudawg- yes I'd love to spend the money on other things rather make my dentist wealthy.

I see an osteopath and every now and then she cracks me, but she knows I don't like it. They and PT's work on the muscles and chiros believe its misalignment that causes the muscle spasms. Its like the egg and the chicken scenerio.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
temera2
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Stay positive

Hey there , just a reminder to use this thread to prepare for the day we get better as we will get better, not to dwell on how much we've spent as i was reading the post the other day and was feeling depressed that we make our dentists rich .. i REALLY dislike dentists hey and it made me grit my teeth.. i just don't like seeing any of my tmj friends feeling like that .. you guys! I love you guys and so now i have such a distaste towards the dentist profession!

So i guess we can look at it as even though we are spending a lot maybe if we didn't have this we would of had some other financial issue. and hey at least we can save better then people who spend all there money on temporary things which are doing them damage such as drinking/smoking/drugs... before i had this i was in that crowd of being a heavy drinker.. but although I've spent heaps we are all investing in our health and not something bad. i don't drink at all anymore so my liver is thanking me, im also a better person , i don't take things for granted.. i know things like i guess cancer does this but i think tmj has the same effect as this illness is destructive hey!

We would be worse off if we spoke about how much money we spend on illicit drugs so at least its for our health ok.. don't be sad!

Does anyone agree with this positive spin.. i hope this thread makes you smile and feel positive as thats my intention.. God bless you all * BIG HUGS!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:19 AM   #8
CaydenJ
(female)

CaydenJ HB User

loudawg - I had to snicker at that. It really would be nice to splurge and spend my attention on something not health related for once.

luvtocamp - I was thinking of going to physical therapy but I hear that they're pretty rough with the patients since they have to push into the muscle and that would defeat the purpose of going to a NUCCA chiropractic so I'm not too sure about the whole cracking thing either.

temera2 - I'm a 22 year old dependent. I really dislike being a financial burden, especially with the current economic crisis, but I havn't been able to work so my parents are going to help me get started on treatment.

I know it's hard not to be a cynic when you're in constant pain as I was during the earlier stages. In my case, my financial situation and obsessive research held me back from seeking help right away. Then, slowly, after 1.5 yrs, the pain, which included basically all of the extreme symptoms of tmj, started subsiding but my face was still unrecognizable - in a very VERY bad way! Basically, none of this was "me" so I couldn't function or work. My body was really messed up due to this as well.
I accepted my reality and my priorities became a lot clearer and I dedicated my time to studying as well (and a lot less time gawking at my face in front of the mirror). I think it's a defense mechanism for recovering lost value or keeping equilibrium, but it's actually how I found my passion in life and turned my depression into a quest for higher truths. I guess that's what I mean by compassionate.

Currently I have 80% of my old face back but the spine is affecting the rest of the 20% + the body. But honestly, as frustrating as it may be, don't stop looking for treatment.

Thelma-Louise - Thanks for the info. I found a doctor who offers a payment plan and claims the upper cervical chiropractic foundation insists that all of their practicing chiros should offer payment plans. It doesn't make much sense because insurance co don't distinguish 1 type of chiropractic from the other and therefore should cover it the same. Also treatment cost shouldn't differ too much either from upper cervical vs regular chiro. Still looking.

Did anyone elses physical appearance ever change at the onset of their symptoms?

Last edited by CaydenJ; 09-30-2008 at 04:34 AM.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Thelma-Louise
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Oh,yes - definitely.

My neck became elongated, lost its "s" curve, my head tilted to one side and my collar bones shifted - first they pushed into each other and then they just about disappeared - I used to have prominent collar bones. My upper chest area looked different too - kind of sunken in. One shoulder seemed higher than the other.

My face and head changed quite a bit too - one ear shifted back and downward a bit, one eye brow (actually the bone beneath it) went higher than the other as did one cheekbone. One side of my face had an angular and hollow appearance and the other side was rounder and fuller. And my nose felt like it shifted off center as well. The shape of my head changed as well - one side became flatter than the other side which seemd to be pushed out further.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #10
abond0073
(male)

abond0073 HB User

hi

about what happens when we get healthy

i got this illness hwen i was too young - age 20 and establishing my career etc

my situation continues to worsen and i have been out of my "normal" life for many years.

yes i feel much less cpable than i was when i was healthy.

but i would do anything to regain that life - even if it meant cutting all the nerves in my face! i just miss it too much and want one last chance to live my desires!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
temera2
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Exclamation Re: TWO Questions

hey abond0073, i also am 20 , are you still 20 ?

What symptoms haunted you?

Unfortunately this age is a common age to have tmj I also had tmj when i was 14-16 years scary hey so i hope it goes away..

but lets look at it this way at least we have life experience and i actually study more as i cant go out as much and think oh no i have to study so i can get money so i can get myself out of this... have you finished studying..

i thought i was the only 20 year old here but seems not, we can get through this.. I'm interested to know more about you. xo

Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #12
CaydenJ
(female)

CaydenJ HB User

abond0073 - Mine started right before age 21 and now I'm 22 going on 23. Do you know how your symptoms got started? I think that's an important factor in all of this. I remember how my symptoms started specifically and knew my limits as to how far of a leap I would take for treatment. I would've gone through orthognathic surgery if I qualified but I wouldn't do any shaving of teeth or veneers knowing that I didn't need that because my bite and teeth were normal up until the point where I felt that strange shift in my jaws and neck region.

A lot of people on this board probably can feel your frustration. Many of us have also been deprived of leading our regular lives because of this.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:36 AM   #13
abond0073
(male)

abond0073 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by temera2 View Post
hey abond0073, i also am 20 , are you still 20 ?

What symptoms haunted you?

Unfortunately this age is a common age to have tmj I also had tmj when i was 14-16 years scary hey so i hope it goes away..

but lets look at it this way at least we have life experience and i actually study more as i cant go out as much and think oh no i have to study so i can get money so i can get myself out of this... have you finished studyi

i thought i was the only 20 year old here but seems not, we can get through this.. I'm interested to know more about you. xo

am not 20, but now 30,...Yep i developed thsi after i finished maths degree, this cut short my career and stopped me progressing to masters
but during this, i have finished studying my actuarial qualification, and want to re enter it, but alas TMJ!

cayden - symptoms started when some **** injected a steroid in me and simultaneously extracted my wisdom tooth!

frankly i hate tmj!

Last edited by abond0073; 10-02-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 PM   #14
CaydenJ
(female)

CaydenJ HB User

I'm studying mathematics as well which, thankfully, can be accomplished in solitude. The most damning however is the social aspect. TMJ took away 10 years of your life? I feel for you deeply. Are you looking for treatment at the moment and if so what treatments have you sought after so far?

Old 10-03-2008, 02:59 AM   #15
abond0073
(male)

abond0073 HB User

unfortunately i think my treatments have made me worse which is why i don't know what to do

a steroid injection inflamed the joint
a splint caused muscle spasms
an arthroscopy helped

this has taken more than 10 years of my life - i am no longer teh person i was. i dont think i ever will be.

i am scared of any treatment at the minute because i do not want be made worse.

i spoke to the tmj association and they advised me to be careful of certain tretaments. they said the research for tmj will head towards pain in the next 5 years or so.

i am looking for treatment for pain

Last edited by moderator2; 10-03-2008 at 06:54 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Reply Reply