It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Jaw Stuck?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
myohio
(female)

myohio HB User
Unhappy Jaw Stuck?

Yesterday I noticed that i cannot open my mouth and put even one finger in it. My jaw doc said I am at 20-25 mm. It also feels like its swollen and extremely stiff and a little sore. I am now thinking this is causing my swallowing issue. Has anyone had this recently and how did you make it feel better. It seems like my whole head and neck are this way. Has anyone had this before? What were your symptoms and how long did they last. I have been referred to an orthodontist for this. Has anyone had luck with braces etc... I am still kinda concerned about this swallowing issue, although a ct scan showed nothing abnormal. I just need some comfort that this is not permanent and that my jaw is actually causing all of this. Thankyou soooooo much for any thoughts as I need them right now!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 03:11 AM   #2
CaydenJ
(female)

CaydenJ HB User
Re: Jaw Stuck?

I don't see how an orthodontist would be able to fix something that's wrong specifically with the tmjoints unless surgery will be soon following. The people I've come across who've had locked jaws, first got their splints adjusted, then braces to prepare for orthognathic surgery.

I may be a bit ignorant on this topic though. Usually massaging and alternating cold and heat packs is said to sooth this. Have you tried any tmj exercises? Depending on your condition and treatment plan, splint adjustments and the exercises should help.

Last edited by CaydenJ; 09-30-2008 at 03:14 AM.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
angel72
(female)

angel72 HB User

My jaw locked a few days ago and remedied itself within hours of a splint adjustment. Also, my oral surgeon told me that not everyone needs braces after splint therapy, it depends on the individual and how bad your case is. I have two friends who only needed a splint.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
temera2
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Exclamation Re: Jaw Stuck?

AWWW i hope your unlocks.. i've never had lock jaw just my symptom of jaw pain accompanied by earache but sometimes it just the earache or just the jaw pain on its own .. but i hope you get better! Did you do something which might of made the jaw lock?

angel72 how are you beautiful ?? have your earaches settled? I also heard that you may not need braces but you know with your friends are they 100% now, what were there tmj symptoms and how long were they in treatment for?

all you need after splint therapy is crowns so all your teeth match up ? Am i right? And then perhaps a night time splint to always maintain that ...

But i was wondering my teeth cant match up without my splints in and my right tooth hits first and my other side doesn't even make contact..but i don't think that should be a concern yet as i am on splint therapy so maybe i should focus on that after? I'm just scared in case its un evening or doing damage.??

What do you guys think? Do you guys feel the same ... Get better okay ! Love you guys Xo

Old 10-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
myohio
(female)

myohio HB User

Well, I went for my first chiropractor appointment on monday, he did his adjustments i only felt sore. I went back yesterday, he did adjustments again, and over 24 hours, my jaw unlocked and I'm actually eating food again! He did something in my neck that repositioned my jaw and it helped soooomuch. I don't know if this is my cure, but I am very happy. I am still gonna probably get braces as my bite is very bad, and continue with my splint, but the chiropractor is my hero. Has anyone else had luck with a chiropractor? Did it seem permanent?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
temera2
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User

hey i saw chiro for around 8 weeks ( intensive care period they call it ) but then i didn't return as it didn't make a difference with my ear much .. and made the rest of my body feel great but i didn't feel as though it was necessary to return as my main purpose was to fix my ears ( as they are my only symptom) but i think they are great with helping ... especially with lock jaw.. I've never had lock jaw so i don't know how it feels but i assume a chiro would be great at fixing it.. i think chiro is worth it , but depending on what symptoms your trying to address?

Whats yours? Sorry if i had asked you that .. so many threads :S

Much Love

Old 10-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
CaydenJ
(female)

CaydenJ HB User

Was it a general chiro? My friend has tmj (just the cracking jaws but no pain or anything) and she goes periodically to the chiro for other reasons but he adjusts her jaws as well. She says that it feels nice when he does it but it doesn't seem permanent as her jaws still make the same noise and he still has to adjust it every session but everyone's case is different. He massages her tmjoints and it makes a crazy popping noise but I don't think he's adjusted her by the neck so I'm not sure it has any relevance to your adjustments.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:55 AM   #8
temera2
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User

i had no choice but to see this chiro otherwise my dentist said she wouldn't help me as im not listening to her but then my brother went there ( he was furious i was forced to go to chiro) and goes well clearly it isn't helping , 8 weeks and shes in pain , thats a goody her back and neck feel great but i dont see the pint considering my sister never had any issues with her back. And he was right and the dentist was like you're right .. but i didn't hate my dentist as much i did in the start as her purpose was to rule chiro out. And she thought he would help.. the best move i did and my dentist also made me see was a podiatrist.. best move ever. As my feet feel great, i used to always walk outward .. sorry to go on but no my chiro worked with tmj sufferers theres only 2 in my state.

Isn't that odd how people have so much clicking but they aren't in pain, i find that scary as wouldn't eventually the disc pop out? But yeah my theory is never fix something which isn't broken . So i don't need to see chiro i believe as hes fixing something which isn't even an issue to me.. i miss him though he was so so sweet.! Im just waiting for my displaced discs to go back in place!

Thinking of you... what were your tmj symptoms?

Reply Reply