It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Need Help

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
robert12
(male)

robert12 HB User
Need Help

I am suffering from tinnitus and I don't know where to turn. I think my problem is cause by TMJ disorder, the reason I think this is when I open my month I get a loud hissing sound, when I move my jaw from side to side I get this sound.
I have upper denture and I should wear my bottom partial but I don't. I have always had a problem with my partial fitting, so I just stop wearing them (about 8 to 10 years ago). I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
If I started wearing my partail would this help with my tinnitus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Thelma-Louise
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Need Help

There is another member here who is similar to you with regards to her dental situation that is experiencing similar problems as well - hopefully she will see your post and respond since it seems you both have something in common.

Did the tinnitus start after you got the dentures? Which came first, the lower partial, the upper denture or the tinnitus? Have you seen a tmj dr that is trained in functional jaw appliances - or any tmj dentist be it holistic, neuromuscular, etc? They may be able to determine if the upper denture is causing cranial derangement - from what I have heard and read, an upper denture can be quite important in terms of its fitting since it can affect the cranial planes and temporal lobes - so an upper denture not fitting correctly or hitting certain trigger points residing in the upper palate can lead to all sorts of problems. It can also be that without your lower partial in you are not giving your jaws and tm joints the stable bite and correct vertical dimension it requires and as a result your muscles have become over worked resulting in inflamation to the eustachion tubes and inner ear canal or compression to surrounding nerves.

If you have already tried dietary supplements like lipoflavinoid and have seen an ENT and/or other medical drs to rule out other possibile conditions then it may be time to see a dentist trained in tmj or FJO that deals with oral prosthetics.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 10-13-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
robert12
(male)

robert12 HB User

yes the tinnitus started after the dentures. I got the dentures in 1990 and the tinnitus in may of this year. My only med insur is thru the VA and I saw I ENT doc ( it took about 10 min) and he said I would have learn to live with it. The reason I when to him and not my PCD was because the hissing when I move or open my jaw, But he said that I didn't have TMJ. My PCD as order a MRA, I already had a MRI and I was told there was any thing that they saw that would cause tinnitus. But he order a MRA but did not tell me why. How my Tinnitus started was first I got veritgo and when I was getting better one day I was driving and it was like something snap in the back of my head and the tinnitus started. I have had GAD since 1980 but I have been taking Fuvoxamine and it as been ok. The only otherthing that I think it could be is I was in a car accident and I got whiplash. I was check out told I was ok other then a sore neck, which I was treated for by a clinc this was in june 2005. When I got the tinnitus I went back to the clinc to get their thoughts. I was told by that doc that my problem could be from the whiplash, that sometimes it thats years to show up. But I cann't see him because of my insur. I told this to the EMT doc but he said that would not cause it. So I am waiting for take the MRA and I hope it shows something that will let the PCD know what the problem is.

Last edited by Well-come; 10-14-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Thelma-Louise
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

If you can - definitely go see a cranial chiro (ICAK) or upper cervical chiro (NUCCA) - not sure if your insurance covers it or provides coverage on its own but it sounds like you have a cervical issue - funny how the peices of the puzzle sometimes come together the more info members provide. TMJ and cervcial issues generally result in similar symptoms so its not uncommon for a person to have one problem and think its another - yet at the same time many people with tmj develop cervical problems since the neck and jaw share the same muscles - so one can lead to another. That loud snap (or pop) you heard and felt - if it was toward the back part of the neck where the base of your head connects to - its in the area where the atlas and axis (c1 and c2) reside, so if your bite is off or you suffer a trauma of some kind such as whiplash they can get pushed out of alignment or rotate toward the right or left and cause various problems including vertigo and tinnitus. If the VA doesn't cover chiro treatment - do you also have medicare or other gov provided insurance - they generally will cover it. The one dr was correct in saying cervical injuries can take months if not years to present themselves - generally b/c the symptoms they produce tend to be seemingly unrelateable to the injury that previously occurred so they get overlooked or mis-diagnosed inititally.

Good Luck - I hope you are able to see a good cranial chiro as I am pretty positive he will be able to help.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 10-14-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Closed Thread