It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Does Nature Help?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2008, 06:15 AM   #1
temera2
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Question Does Nature Help?

hey friends,

i heard the following a lot - many medical practitioners say that our body can repair anything in our body except teeth and thus can fix on its own our tmj even without treatment, they say nature will fix this and take its toll and we will completely be restored to no pain.. is this true?

I'm dying to know the actual fact behind this statement.. i hope its true!

Eg. like when someone breaks a bone they slightly adjust it and let nature take its toll and fix it on its own i hope its like that with our tmj maybe splint therapy is nudging it to the right direction and nature will fix it
?

Does that make sense or is this nature thing Rubbish, any thoughts appreciated!

Thinking of you all, stay strong people!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
realistikk
(female)

realistikk HB User
Re: Does Nature Help?

Hi temera,

I was told that also. My doc told me TMJ will repair itself in about 4 years.. I KNow thats a long time, but it can heal quick sometimes also. its really just a calcified disc that will grow back..the body is very good at healing itself. ill keep you in my prayers.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Thelma-Louise
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

While I do beleiee the body does have the ability to heal itself and adapt to changes over time - the idea that whatever sort of tmj problem we are dealing with will just resolve itself given enough time has to be taken in context with what each of our particular problem is.

Teeth - as you pointed out - can not be fixed by our own body. If one's tmj problem is muscular in nature resulting from a poor bite due to an imbalance or malocclusion or mispositioned jaw - while the teeth may shift in result to forces generated by such - only external treatment will help alleviate that. The body may get used to the symptoms such conditions produce but I doubt it can correct the problem - unless the teeth were removed - as this then would produce no bite or interference and the body might adapt to that over time - as that is how we are initially born.

Yes, the body can create pseudo discs - and teeth may shift so as to not cause interference, and bones can heal - although without guidance (like a splint, brace or cast) it is doubtful they would resume their natural alignment, and so on.

Many medical practioners are not very informed or experienced with tmj - at least in the US anyway - it is left to dentists to treat - and b/c of their lack of understanding of it - it is quite easy for them to say "time will heal it and let nature take its course - its like a dentist prescribing bed rest to a patient with a head cold - but once that cold develops into bronchitis or pneumonia - would dentists know how to treat it?

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 11-24-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
CaydenJ
(female)

CaydenJ HB User

I was told that too. I guess that's the philosophy behind these upper cervical treatments. At the consult I was told that if there's a misallignment, the body would try to repair itself but it would need to be guided first and foremost into it's proper position.

Closed Thread