It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

New to TMJ

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
cpilotw
(male)

cpilotw HB User
New to TMJ

Hello.

I am 21 years old male and a senior graduating from college. I was dx with FMS a few years ago but have ALWAYS had problems with my bite, etc. I had many retainers, hand-cranked appliances, braces (hardly could wear the rubber bands connecting from upper teeth to lower, etc. because of pain), etc. A few weeks ago, I thought about going to a TMJ doctor. This guy is extremely sophisticated in his TMJ diagnosis, though doesn't really believe in FMS (neither do I, truely anyway), but he went really indepth in during my first visit.

His assistant brought me into the room and asked me TONS of questions, which many I could not think of the time frame when I had certain oral things done, but anywho. She went in depth and then the doctor came in. He pushed on certain parts of my mouth, jaw, neck, face and had me rate the pain "mild, moderate or severe"...most points being either moderate or severe. He did some measurements and said many of terms related to his field that I thought was another language! He also did an "ultrasound" of my right jaw joint and we both heard the popping and stuff of the cushion in that jaw that pops out of place when I move my jaw. It was amazing. The left side didn't do it.

My jaw constantly feels tired, tense and in pain. My neck is constantly stiff and in pain and so are my shoulders. This is making me think I don't have FMS and it's just TMJ. I also have some joint pain, chronic pain and muscle tenderness esp in my wrists, ankles, elbows and the bottom of my feet. I've been on antidepressants but am being weened off because I absolutely hate the way it made me feel.

Anyhow, Tuesday I go back for the 2 hour visit to measure for Phase I splint and do some x-rays, etc. I am excited and hoping this will help me. Has anyone here who has been through the pain that I described above and a remarkable difference after going through TMJ treatment? Because I haven't had any luck whatsoever with anything else.

Last edited by cpilotw; 12-21-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Thelma-Louise
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: New to TMJ

I think you will find many if not all your symptoms are related to the tmj dysfunction your are dealing with and over time they will respond positively to your splint treatment. TMJ/TMD is a complex condition and the affects of the dysfunction can be widespread throughout the body primarlily b/c of how integrated the jaw is with the neck - which is where most major nerves run and our neuromusuclar and central nervous systems become closely intertwined. So if you think of your body as a major mechanical puzzle - aside from the major organs, the jaws and neck have a mjor role to play and along with our bites provide the body the stability and overall sense of well being needed for the rest of the body to function normally.

From what you describe it sounds like a disc is displacing and possbily recapturing at some point when you open and close your mouth - and splint treatment and changes to your bite at some point should be able to both stop this from happening and prevent it from recurring.

Since you are somewaht new to all of this - i would suggest you start reading some published literature on it so you become more famliar with the terms used by dentists and understand the components of the face and jaw and neck - you don't need to be an expert on it - most dentists don't know enough either since tmj and its cause are not yet fully understood and not every treatment works for every patient - but just know enough so you will be able to ask the "right" questions and have a basic understanding of what is being treated and how.

What you may want to find out at this point from this dr is what is the exact nature of your problem and what type of splint does the dr think will correct it and assuming the splint works, what needs to be done afterwards to ensure your problem does not recur.

Please come back and share how your next appt goes and what the dr recommends. Good Luck.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 12-21-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Closed Thread