It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Tinnitus & Hearing Loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
    NikolaiDingle
    (male)

NikolaiDingle HB User
    Tinnitus & Hearing Loss

Hi People,

First post hope, just wanted to say hello

I first realised I had tinnitus a few years ago...followed by some hearing loss a few months afterwards. My tinnitus gets louder when I clench my jaw and yawn.

My ears feel full/blocked and I have quite a bit of hearing loss in both ears.

My hearing loss/tinnitus is far worse in the mornings...is it plausible that I have TMJ?

I used to clench my jaw a lot before I got this, I'm pretty certain i do in my sleep too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: Tinnitus & Hearing Loss

Well the clenching can certainly cause inflamation to the eustachion tubes and surrounding area which can result in the hearing loss and tinnutis you are epxerieincing. Generally clenching and grinding indicate a bite or occlusion issue although I have read some literature that suggests it can be a response to stress as well and is a learned patterned or habit - also suggesting therefore that it can be unlearned. One dr once told me almost everyone experiences mild symtpoms of tmj in one form or another in their lifetime simply b/c as we age and our teeth wear down naturally, the bite gradually begins to change but eventually our bodies adapt and the symptoms will disappear. The force exerted in both clenching and gringing can damage teeth and stresses the muscles, and leave jaw bones in a state of chronic aching. This is why many dentists recommend the use of a night guard if not to stop or prevent the clenching or gringing to preven the teeth from being damamged or worn down which in turn can change the bite and induce symptoms of tmj. So yes, its possible your are experiencing some symptoms of tmj.

Welcome to the boards, btw.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
    NikolaiDingle
    (male)

NikolaiDingle HB User

Thanks for you're response.

I've had this for a few years now, my tinnitus fluctuates week by week. Do you think if I managed to stop the clenching at night my tinnitus would go away and my hearing would return?

I find it strange that I've possibly been clenching for a long time before the tinnitus and hearing loss happened.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Well it is certainly possible when you stop the clenching your hearing loss will return and the tinnitus will go away - at one point my ear noise sounded like roaring waves along the beach shore or like static from a radio station that wasn't tuned in - extrme symptoms due to my extreme form of muscular dysfuntion due to the lack of a stabile bite - but various alternative treatments resolved mine, even though I still have the lack of bite issue - so I am fairly confident yours can be resolved too.

Since my tmj issues have yet to be resolved thru standard dental splints or orthotics, I turned to chiro, PT and cranial sacral therapy to help keep my muscles and body relaxed - chiro addresses the alingment of the body which in turn lessens muscle tension and the others work directly with the muscles themselves, like addressing pressure points, or empoying massages, warm compresses, the tens unit, etc.

Closed Thread