It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Anyone have Fibromyalgia also?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
lindy23
(female)

lindy23 HB User
Anyone have Fibromyalgia also?

I've been reading a lot of people with fibromyalgia have TMJ problems. I just saw my GP today (for something else) and she told me, I didn't bring it up, that I could possibly have it. My mom has it, and some Dr.s think it is genetic. I'm not diagnosed with it, but I wouldn't doubt it if I am later. I'M ONLY 23

Good news, my disc was in its place for about 1 1/2 weeks. It was still sore 24/7, but I didn't have as much pain. It's out again as of two days ago

To add to all of that, the reason I went to my GP, I have a kidney infection. Ugh.

I know I'm all over the place here, I just have a lot going on in my mind right now. I just want to feel decent again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
luvtocamp
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Re: Anyone have Fibromyalgia also?

I have a lot of body aches all over now, but after the tmj started and all the bite changes, so no I did not have fibro. I have heard they go hand in hand as they both affect the muscles. I hope we all find relief soon.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
Thelma-Louise
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Many med drs do not feel that firbro is an actual disease per se but a response or symptom of something else going on. My "fibro" - which is overall body aches and fatigue - almost like having a bad case of the flu or arthritis started after my tmj issues - which btw started when my bite was affected by new bridge and crowns. Initially I thought I was developing RA as my father did - even noticed my joints in other parts of my body changing in appearance and mobility. But b/c I see my symptoms change in response to chiro treatment or even wearing splints - I tend to think for me my "fibro" is more the result of an overall structural misalignment due to an unstabile bite and muscular overload.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
lindy23
(female)

lindy23 HB User

Thanks for replying. I have began to keep a sort of journal on a calendar telling me what date something is wrong and when it stops. I am also adding physical activities and weather conditions on it, as I seem to flare up after I do a lot of physicall things and when it is cold outside. Hopefully this will help me understand what is going on with myself more. It just seems everything is falling apart on me, so I am just worried I could have something else as well. A little hypochondriatic, but think I have a just cause for worring because I just feel so bad most of the time.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
Barrysangel
(female)

Barrysangel HB User

Lindy 23 I also have fibro and also Tmj and matter of fact have yeast infection and kidney probs as I type this.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
hurtinginaz
(female)

hurtinginaz HB User

I also have fibro and tmj. Ive had tmj in the past before being diagnosed with fibro., but it is MUCH worse now and my jaw locked up for the first time the other day. It makes a clicking sound alot too. My doctor gave me an aqualizer which is a sorta mouthpiece thats inexpensive and puts pressure off your jaw and head. Its probably not nearly as effective as a mouthguard but cheaper and a short term solution. But, i had no idea tmj could affect your eyes and so many muscles in your face till getting fibro.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
Barrysangel
(female)

Barrysangel HB User

I sit here tonight feeling like crap. My jaw still aches and vicodin and a muscle relaxer doesn't help much.
I have a kidney and yeast infection. This I think is due to having bronchitus for 2 months and coughing so much and then taking 2 rounds of antibiotics. Still I am coughing. I am due to go to the dentist in 2 weeks for IV sedation and get 2 caps on my teeth and a filling. But the dentist says I can't get it down if my cough isn't gone becuase of the sedation.
I am a gagger and all I have done other than cleaning I have to be sedated.
I also was fitted for an appliance about 20 yrs ago and couldn't wear it due to gagging. So I have to keep my teeth cause I can't wear dentures.
On top of this my fibro is awful most of the time.
This all really sucks. But I take it day to day. What else can one do??

Old 02-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
maxwell29
(male)

maxwell29 HB User

Similar to Luvtocamp, I also have lots of fibromyalgia-like muscle tension and pains all over my body due to my TMJ issues. I am 99% certain it is caused by my TMj and not the other way around....

Old 02-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #9
lindy23
(female)

lindy23 HB User

Barrysangel, I have been having Kidney/abdomen problems for the last 3-4 months. Actually they thought it was a Kidney infection, now they don't know where the infection is coming from and want me to get a CT Scan, because my cultures did not grow any more bacteria. They did tell me the antibiotics can cause yeast problems, but luckily I did not develop that. I think it is getting better, but my stomach still hurts. My jaw is doing 90% better but I still have muscle aches. I know everyone is different, and I do believe that TMJ can cause Fibro like symptoms, but I can't help but think since my mom has had it for several years and I have muscle problems even when my jaw is doing fairly well. I wish there was a blood test or something so I wouldn't just think I'm crazy all the time, or lazy or IDK, just crazy LOL! I mean, I look at everyone around me, it is not normal to be in pain almost everyday, right? I had accepted it for a while, but now I just want it to get better. Granted, I am grateful that some days are better than others.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
luvtocamp
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

maxwell29- what is the treatment recommedation for your neck and have you had a brain MRI- I have MS and that can cause muscle problems throughout the body. I'm sorry you are going through all this. I added you to my friend list so you can email me if you wish.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
maxwell29
(male)

maxwell29 HB User

Most of the doctors I've seen (neurosurgeon, chiropractor at Tufts, NUCCA, and TMJ dentists) think the neck may be playing a smaller part but it is mostly due to jaw derangement issues. I have had TMJ problems since age 10 and it isn't as if it just popped up one day. Interestingly, there is a study that says having neck issues increases the chances of bruxism and hence acquiring a TMJ disorder.

The neurosurgeon wants to do a brain MRI but I kind of don't want to spend the extra money on it. Perhaps if the surgical attempts fail a few years down the road I will go that route.

Notably, I've never seen a neurologist. I am pretty sure that this is the result of a structural problem (jaw/neck shape) than a disease process or neurological problem.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
shabbychic
(female)

shabbychic HB User

hi
in response to your question regarding fibromyalgia...
yep,i have tmj,fibroyalgia and i.b.s
i kind of thik fibro and tmj go hand in hand in hand together

Old 02-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
bethsheba
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
... My "fibro" - which is overall body aches and fatigue - almost like having a bad case of the flu or arthritis started after my tmj issues - which btw started when my bite was affected by new bridge and crowns. Initially I thought I was developing RA as my father did - even noticed my joints in other parts of my body changing in appearance and mobility. ....
Some conditions mimc fibro, arthritis, and tmj...one of those conditions is lyme disease.

I have recently read that one reason there are "jaw" problems with Lyme disease, is because the Lyme spirochetes set up housekeeping in the salivary glands.

Although Lyme is reported in every state in our union, it is reaching epidemic numbers along the northeast and in the midwest.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
22dreams
(female)

22dreams HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
Some conditions mimc fibro, arthritis, and tmj...one of those conditions is lyme disease.

I have recently read that one reason there are "jaw" problems with Lyme disease, is because the Lyme spirochetes set up housekeeping in the salivary glands.
My PCP who treats in a highly lyme endemic area told me that lyme, for some unknown reasons, commonly settles in the jaw. So, when I presented with TMJ issues combined with a couple others, he recognized lyme right away. Which I am thankful for.

In addition to lyme mimicking FM, arthritis, and TMJ--
intestinal/gut complaints - I.B.S.&/or palsy of the gut-- is also one of the other more common. My sister had that diagnosis 10 yrs ago and it wasn't until 3 years ago that the cause for the "I.B.S." symptoms was found. and it was lyme.

Closed Thread