It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Tired tongue/TMJ

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
    cowboy36
    (male)

cowboy36 HB User
    Tired tongue/TMJ

Any advice on what to do when your tongue gets tired from eating and talking,this is driving me crazy,the twitching has stopped but it gets fatigued really easy,seems like the muscles under my chin give out that works the tongue,to scared of doctors,but I'm also a worry wart and makes things worse,thank you thelma-and louise for responding to my last one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: Tired tongue/TMJ

You're welcome.

Try putting some gauze on the inside of your mouth between your cheeks and teeth to help your muscles relax.

Also, if you are not going to see someone about this (although I wish you would) you may want to look into getting a OTC nightguard sold where other dental products are sold or at a pharmacy or drug store - even online.

There are some exercises you can do for tmj that may help with your tongue and other muscles that you can find on the web but the 2 that I can recall are:

1) taking the tip of your tongue and raise it to the roof of your mouth and then bring it back down -repeat this several times, but each time you bring your tongue up to the roof of your mouth try pushing the tip of it further toward the back of the mouth toward the throat.

2) place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth or palate and without lowering it say the number "9" (nine) - this should force your lower jaw down and a bit forward and also push your tongue up - repeat this several times in a row for a few mins. If you find it helps it can be done as often as you want as can the other exercise.

Also letting your mouth just hang freely open and not letting your teeth or lips touch may help and do not sleep with too many pillows - stay as flat with the bed as possible and try using a cervical pillow at night.

Closed Thread