It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Prolotherapy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
    cath s
    (female)

cath s HB User
    Prolotherapy

has anybody else here had prolotherapy????

I have been getting this treatment to complement my NM dental work and I am getting miraculous results...

Prolotherapy is a medical procedure that many chronic and acute pain patients, as well as athletes with sports injuries, are turning to because it is used as an alternative to surgery, arthroscopy, cortisone shots, non-steroidal anti-inflam...matories, and/or chronic use of narcotic pain medications. Prolotherapy stimulates the body to repair the painful injured area(s) when the body’s natural healing process is not able to do the job on its own. In most cases, commonly prescribed anti-inflammatory medications and more drastic measures like surgery, joint replacements, cortisone shots, and other therapies may not help, and often hinder or even prevent the healing process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User
    Re: Prolotherapy

Hello Friends,
    Yes, I agree that prolotherapy works wonders. I've been getting prolotherapy treatments now for about two years, and it's absolutely amazing. The shots have helped my TMJ muscles and tendons.
    Peggy

Old 02-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
    zerenitynow
    (male)

zerenitynow HB User

Can you give an idea of what prolotherapy costs? My insurance covers *nothing* with regards to TMJ and I'm hoping I don't get black listed for ever having mentioned TMJ! My swimming is helping now but want to know what the options are in case I need another tool.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
    cath s
    (female)

cath s HB User

hi there - I dont know what the cost would be.... Insurance doesnt cover anything for me either - so its out of the back pocket.
    Here in New Zealand it cost me $300 for the first visit and $10 per injection. I got 2.
    Second visit I paid $135. Which was 3 injections [email protected]$10 and [email protected]$15. Visit was $100.

Oh - I flew up to see him and paid for a taxi driver for the day... which cost more than the visit to the Prolotherapist....

Sorry if I cant help on the cost side... perhaps ring someplaces? Make sure they have done this sort of thing for a while and perhaps ask for patient feedback before going.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
    zerenitynow
    (male)

zerenitynow HB User

Thank you for at least giving me a ballpark figure. Where exactly did they inject? I tried some lidocaine patches or Voltaren Gel directly on the jaw/masseter but neither really helped a whole lot. It seems like whatever process causes the jaw to tighten is very deep. It seems like soaking everything in a hot hot tub helps. But I'm thinking perhaps the injection work deep enough to have a similar effect.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
    cath s
    (female)

cath s HB User

so far I have had Masseter, foot, hip and where the muscle attaches in my back to the bottom 2 ribs...
    Still to go is my neck, shoulder, arm, knee. and other places will be revisited if need be.

I just want to point out that I did not go in there and declare what I wanted done... I saw someone who is highly qualified in this, waay more than I will ever be.
    He is a musculo-skeletal expert.
    I went in there and he did a formal diagnosis on what is needed..

Please ensure that if you do decide to investigate this, that you see someone highly qualifed in this method. They will not then just provide this therapy on places you suggest, rather it will be places where they, the expert, see where it is needed.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
    zerenitynow
    (male)

zerenitynow HB User

So is he an MD or a Dentist or something else?

Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
    cath s
    (female)

cath s HB User

he is Physician with special intrest in soft tissue and musculo-skeletal medicine, also he is a Rheumatologist.
    My dentist who practices in Neuromuscular techniques referred me to him.
    Both of them are working together in managing my treatment.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Hello Friends,
    I don't know what prolotherapy costs. My insurance covers it, and I don't remember what I saw on the EOBs. Sorry that I couldn't help with that aspect.
    Peggy
    My Family Doctor does my prolotherapy shots. He uses this therapy for a variety of ailments, with very good success.
    I go to my TMJ dentist for trigger point injections that have also helped the muscle spasm.

Last edited by Pegala; 02-06-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added info

Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
    zerenitynow
    (male)

zerenitynow HB User

How is the pain of the injections for prolotherapy? I saw a couple of videos on ******* injecting directly to the TMJ. Needle looked enormous! ..and the jabs repeated.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #11
    cath s
    (female)

cath s HB User

yes they are extremely painful....... like OMG painful....
    The first one I had took me by surprise as to how painful, that was the masseter injection. I cried after it. I NEVER cry with pain. Even when I had my big babies of 9lb, 10lb and 11lb.
    It HURTS.
    But, I handle it because of what I receive back in return. - massive pain relief.
    My prolotherapy guy said it hurts so much because he injecting into the most painful part of where it hurts.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #12
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I agree with Cath that the prolotherapy shots are painful. They bring tears to my eye. I also agree with Cath that the way to deal with it is to remind yourself of how much help you'll get.
    When I'm getting the shots I focus on my breathing, and know that it won't take long. I tell myself that I can do it, it's only for a few seconds, and I can handle anything for a few seconds.
    I definitely recommend prolo. Don't let the pain stand in your way, it's just for a very short time.
    Please keep us posted on your progress.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
    cath s
    (female)

cath s HB User

Pegala,
    I have taken to counting while he is doing it.....
    That has helped me heaps...
    Still......
    my latest round the hip one for 15 seconds and my two back ones were 5 seconds each....

funny while they are only 1001, 1002, 1003 etc..... they feel like an incredible lifetime....

Closed Thread