It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• What is/was your main TMJ symptom?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
    MissyJ
    (female)

MissyJ HB UserMissyJ HB User
    Re: What is/was your main TMJ symptom?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbuilder2 View Post
    i don't notice anything in my mouth like you describe. I did have muscle knots in the ptergoids that had to be worked out from the inside of my mouth. They were definately in spasm, but it didn't really help the pain much.
    Thanks jbuilder2. Could you tell me more about those muscle knots? This is something I want to look into. I have a feeling my lateral pterygoid muscle is messed up.

-How did you know you had muscle knots in your pterygoids?
    -Can you actually feel the knots by yourself?
    -Did you work those muscle knots by yourself?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
    jbuilder2
    (male)

jbuilder2 HB User

put a finger into each side of the mouth. You'll probably notice the pain free side has no resitance when you reach back toward your ear and up to your eye. You'll probably notice the pain side has tight bands that limit what you can do. You need to press and hold those for 30-60 seconds and then release. They will start to get softer. Has to be done a few times a day for a few days to release all of them.

didn't help with the pain, but I think helped with my opening.

The Following User Says Thank You to jbuilder2 For This Useful Post:
    MissyJ (06-06-2012)
    Old 06-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #18
    LeahFaith
    (female)

LeahFaith HB User

I had TMJ for 6 years or so. My problems were chronic headaches (I ate painkillers like skittles) earache in left year and horrible jaw pain at night. I never had trouble eating or opening my mouth or anything.

But I took steroids for a back problem last year and magically all my TMJ symptoms disappeared almost over night. Just before I started steroids the jaw pain was so bad I was sleeping with ice packs on my face.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #19
    MissyJ
    (female)

OK so now I have a new symptom. All the while my problem side is the right side. The left side has a bit of tension but it can be managed quite ok.

Then a couple of weeks ago my left jaw clicked. After that there were some grating sounds for two days. Then the grating sounds stopped but now I have pain in the left ear. It also feels like I can't hear as well. It's been about a week and I'm still having this pain.

Great. This just gets better.

Last edited by MissyJ; 07-17-2012 at 05:50 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to MissyJ:
    rlat45 (07-17-2012)
    Old 07-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #20
    rlat45
    (female)

rlat45 HB Userrlat45 HB Userrlat45 HB User

Hey Miss Kay Jay, I can relate. I have new pain that showed up in my so called good ear too. Up until just recently, all my jaw and ear pressure/pain has been on my left side but now the right ear is kicking in. I also feel like i can't hear as well in my left ear. If I have my right ear down on the pillow, I feel like I can't hear very well with my left ear. I've noticed though that if I pull down and forward just in front of my ear, it will open the ear and I can hear better. Strange and miserable all at the same time. So sorry you are going through this too. Praying for relief for us both soon. Hang in there!

The following user gives a hug of support to rlat45:
    MissyJ (07-17-2012)
    Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #21
    MissyJ
    (female)

Most of the time it's a constant dull kind of pain. I feel like I just went swimming for two hours and just got out of the pool and there's water stuck in my ear. Or something like that. It's hard to explain. Then at times it's an itchy feeling, at times it's a burning feeling, then at times there's a tiny sharp pain for a second. I'm actually flying tomorrow so I'm quite worried about this ear issue. Got my muscle relaxants handy in case I need to knock myself out...

rlat45, sorry to hear that you're having problems with the 'good side' as well. Isn't it odd that we are getting new symptoms? We're both in TMJD treatment, so we're supposed to be getting better, not getting new symptoms! Make sure you tell your dentist about this the next visit.

Hugs.

Last edited by MissyJ; 07-30-2012 at 07:35 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to MissyJ:
    MountainReader (07-18-2012)
    Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
    rlat45
    (female)

rlat45 HB Userrlat45 HB Userrlat45 HB User

You just described my ear symptoms exactly. I try to tell myself that TMJ can cause all this but sometimes the ear symptoms really get my anxiety going. The pressure gets so intense sometimes, I worry it will damage my hearing.
    I had to fly back in March and I was so worried about it. I assumed that the plane would cause unbearable ear pressure since I have so much of it when I'm here on the ground. I just wanted to let you know that I took some precautions--ear plugs called Earplane Ears, Benadryl 1 hour before the flight, nasal spray and chewing gum. I don't know if I needed all that, but it did work and I had no issues with the flight at all. Good luck and I will be thinking about you!

The following user gives a hug of support to rlat45:
    MountainReader (07-18-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to rlat45 For This Useful Post:
    MissyJ (07-17-2012)
    Old 07-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #23
    Hyepo
    Inactive
    (female)

Hyepo HB User

Missy:

You sound nearly identical to me at this time. It began with a popping sound in the right TMJ, months ago, followed by right ear pain weeks later. I stopped chewing gum (was addicted), and the problems nearly went away. All of a sudden, a week ago, my jaw muscles (both sides) became tense and uncomfortable. I think of the constant muscle strain as being similar to tensing my entire body ALL DAY LONG, and trying to live that way. It is very stressful and exhausting. I can eat and open my mouth. I don't have pain in the joint; just fleeting right ear pain. I am often dizzy. I find that I constantly and subconsciously thrust my jaw outward, and sometimes to the sides. I find that crazy. As of tonight, I am applying ice to the general area, since I believe that heat will increase inflammation and swelling. The ice packs actually yielded better results for me. I already have been wearing a night guard for years. Tonight is the first time I heard about the NM splint. I will look into that. I hope that your problems have improved since you last wrote in this thread.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2013 at 02:32 AM.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #24
    MissyJ
    (female)

Hey rlat45, I just got back. 4.5 hours to and 4.5 hours back on the plane. I took some of the precautions that you mentioned for the flight (thank you ), but luckily I didn't need them. Phew!

Hi Hyepod, sorry to hear that you have similar symptoms as me. I know what you mean about the constant muscle strain all day long. That's what bothers me the most because it really is so very stressful and exhausting.

If you want more information about the NM splint, you can go through previous posts on this board as there are/were a few people who are/were going through it. The posts have been very helpful for me. But of course, there will always be mixed reviews/results, as the success of it will depend on many factors. I hope you find relief soon. Do keep us updated!

Last edited by MissyJ; 07-23-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #25
    MissyJ
    (female)

Ok I just found something interesting and would like to share this with you guys.

My mum is so worried about me, last week she made me go to the hospital again. I didn't really want to but she insisted. So anyway I went to the Orthopedics, and I got a set of cervical x-rays taken - one from the back and one from the side. He looked the x-rays and said "you're cervical looks great, I don't see anything wrong". After that I went to the Pain Clinic, and the doctor wanted to give me some kind of injection, which I refused.

So anyway, I just looked at my neck x-ray that's taken from the back view carefully and I realised something. Actually at quick glance you don't really notice anything wrong. But then I took out a ruler, placed it on the x-rays, and it became so so clear. I placed the ruler at the bottom of both my ear lobes. The ruler was not straight at all and it became obvious that my head was tilting to the left. I don't know why but all this while I thought I was leaning my head to the right!

And then I remembered two incidences: one time I was sitting at my chiropractor's bench, and my chiropractor was standing behind me, he put his hands on my head and said something like "try not to lean your head like this" and he kinda straightened my head from left to middle. That time I was thinking "What? Isn't my head leaning to the right?"
    Then another time was just last week when I was talking to my mum and she said "why is your head always like this?" (tilting her head to one side imitating me - she was sitting opposite me so she tilted her head to her right, which was my left).

So after measuring my head, I put the ruler at the top of shoulders and again it was uneven. The right side is lower than the left side. But then I already knew this from before as I could see this clearly from the mirror. The x-ray also captured a bit of my thoracic spine (T1-3) and it was not straight as well. It didn't capture the rest of my spine but I really wouldn't be surprised if I have a bit of scoliosis. And I can still feel my right hip higher than the left.

But one thing that has improved a little is the x-ray taken from the side view. In my previous neck x-ray, it showed a loss of lordosis. But with this new x-ray, it looks better because it looks like I have some curve back.

So basically I just wanted to share this with you all. If you have any x-rays of the spine it might be interesting to take it out and take a good look at it again with a ruler.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2013 at 02:32 AM.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #26
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

TMJ issues can absolutely throw your alignment off. My PT would adjust my alignment as part of my TMJ treatment every time when I was seeing her regularly.

In addition to neck alignments, she works on my first rib and hips. I also regularly see a chiropractor to get adjustments as well.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #27
    Bellamq
    (female)

Bellamq HB User

Missy,

My main TMJ symptom was the masseter muscle pain. If you have knots in your masseter muscles, it can refer pain to other areas of your body like your neck, teeth, etc.

My problem is not joint related. I had an MRI and both temporomandibular joints were fine. My problem is muscle related. I got into the bad habit of grinding my teeth every night due to stress.... this lead to hypertrophy of my masseter muscles, constant charlie horse-type knots and a change in my bite.

To diagnose this, all you need do is attempt to massage your masseter muscles (you yourself, not a professional). If the pain worsens, you know your problem is muscular and if the PAIN is unbearable, get BOTOX shots in your masseters. The problem is, most doctors will start you at the lowest possible dose and there is usually no improvement. You have to wait 3 months and get a higher dosage. If this doesn't work, your doctor will keep upping the dosage until it finally does work.

I had to go three rounds before Botox finally worked for me. 100 units in my problem masseter gave me great relief and I haven't gone back for 8 months now. I also take 500mg of Nortriptlyne and 1 mg of Klonopin before bed as well.

Your insurance will most likely cover the cost of BOTOX if your problem is muscle related, but not if its joint related.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2013 at 02:33 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bellamq For This Useful Post:
    MissyJ (08-20-2012)
    Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #28
    MissyJ
    (female)

Hi Bellamq,

Thanks for your reply. There's definitely mixed reviews about doing Botox for this condition. Some said that it helped them, some said it did not, and some some said it made things worse. I guess it would also depend on a lot of factors, such as what exactly is the condition, which muscles they injected, how many units, what was their objective (some just wanted to stop clenching), what kind of doctor, etc.

I don't have pain in my masseters, even when I press on them. But most of my tension/swelling/spasms are around the jaw/ear areas. Sometimes it will radiate up to the temporalis, and down to the base of the skull on the right side, at the top of the neck.

It's great that you got relief from it! Wow 100 units in your masseters, I guess that would be 50 units on each side. I got 34 units in my right temporalis, and the cosmetic surgeon refused to give me more as he said it would be too much, and could be dangerous.

Unfortunately the Botox did not help me. Maybe like you said I needed more rounds or maybe a higher dose, or maybe I got the wrong muscles, I don't know. But anyway I'm currently in TMJ treatment, using a lower orthotic. So I can't do Botox if I want to continue with this treatment as it will interfere with the readings that they do on the machines.

Last edited by MissyJ; 08-20-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #29
    jerzeytimers
    (male)

jerzeytimers HB User

I have every symptom but not the severe pain...i sweat all night long, was sick in bed for a year with what i first thought was a really bad flu...excess saliva, sore neck, eye ache, light sensitivity, im starting to get bad pain behind my eye that seems to be getting worse, light sensitivity, etc. etc. etc...what was helping me was the night guard, but i think my tmj found a way around it...i do a lot of meditations, which takes my stress away which helps relieve the clenching of the muscles and helps to take the sickness part of it away..but i think its time for me to see a doctor....the eye thing just stated to happen and im not taking a chance with them...ya know..just waiting on insurance....any questions, feel free to ask??

Old 12-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #30
    Liquidplasma
    (male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User

I feel your pain , your not alone.Although my neck pain has gone away and my back pain has decreased about 80% , I still get cheek pain.When bad enough it makes its way into a headache and that turns into sore eyes.Once all that hits, I usually get nauseous .

Closed Thread

Tags
    jaw pain, muscle spasms, neuromuscular dentistry jaw, symptoms, tmj