It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• best foods to eat while having painful TMJ/tight masseter muscles?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
    Mandolyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User
    best foods to eat while having painful TMJ/tight masseter muscles?

I'm suppose to go to dinner tonight (pizza) for my birthday with my in laws and now I'm realizing I shouldn't. I hate having to cancel on them. They don't know about my TMD and what is going on so I asked my husband to call them and let them know. The muscle in my left is still very tight, no matter what I do. I am eating soft foods too- foods that have me barely chewing. I find I can eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches fine if I tear pieces off and push them in my mouth.

But I am thinking pizza may be a bad idea? Even cheese pizza?
    What are some foods you find yourself eating when you can't open normally or chew without it bothering your jaw?

I also realize I am always hungry!! I eat greek yogurt which doesn't last long in my stomach... applesauce and stuff like that-- cottage cheese. I miss pizza!!

Last edited by Mandolyn; 04-06-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
    Canuck65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User
    Re: best foods to eat while having painful TMJ/tight masseter muscles?

Mandolyn

Pizza is probably bad - crust can be hard to chew (at least that's what I have found). I would try pasta (but nothing with too much chewy cheese - I have found melted cheese can sometimes by difficult to chew) but you need to trust yourself and listen to your jaw. Hopefully your inlaws are understanding. And I hope you are able to celebrate your birthday and have some fun in any event!

Believe me I know how you feel about missing pizza - I miss so many foods. I have been on soft food diet since 2010 when this all started. I used to really like going out to restaurants but know I hardly go because its such hard time finding things I can eat. I find it really cuts into your social life - so much socializing occurs around food.. I did find brunch easier - pancakes I could eat for example. But since the beginning of March something happened and everything is worse and my left jaw is now starting to bother me too (previously it was just my right haw) so I'm really freaking out and I can't get into see either my dentist or my oral surgeon until mid May - I keep bugging them to see if a cancelation has come up but so far no luck.

I basically am on liquids (bean soups pureed with a pulp of baked potato) lots of yogurt pureed with bananas, berries, wheat germ, soy powder and bran softend with water (for fiber), peanut butter from the jar, and liverwurst on its own, chocolate pudding, hot chocolate, virtually no chewing I had a dream about eating a hamburger the other night - haven't eaten a hamburger since 2010.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
    clencher1
    (female)

clencher1 HB Userclencher1 HB Userclencher1 HB Userclencher1 HB User

Wow, I really sympathize you you guys. I have not had that issue as I don't really experience any jaw pain. I do find, however, that my jaw feels "tired" and not in the mood to chew things like raisins, hard nuts (almonds), and tough meats (steaks, pork, etc.). I can eat a hamburger believe it or not, but it is not in my diet as a general rule. I do not eat apples, pears, etc. unless I cut them up as the action of taking a bit out of anything hard like that is definitely uncomfortable. Pizza had not been a problem...but again, I don't eat much pizza.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
    Mandolyn
    Veteran
    (female)

I had just bought a huge box of frosted mini wheats from Costco too.. right before this jaw pain and a huge box of apples as I love apples! I was slicing the apples-- I think I could get away with that on a day with my jaw not hurting as bad. My goal is to not make it worse. I thought about cutting the pizza up in small pieces and chewing slowly to see if that works. I can eat cake fine and pancakes and pb butter sandwiches on whole wheat bread- as long as I cut it up. I too eat yogurt, oatmeal, cottage cheese with applesauce. Peanut butter by the spoon. ice cream!! OH and I made some muffins yesterday and cut those up. I am finding some certain massages help. But yesterday was my first day ADVIL FREE! we ended up having mexican food and I just had rice and beans.

canuck- do you find that your other side is now bothering you after you wake up in the morning? when are your symptoms worse?

clencher- i was like you before all this started happening. hopefully you won't have to go through it. for years i just had ear pain and i could eat everything fine.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
    Canuck65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User

Mandoyln, Clencher,

With respect to food, I think you have to find what works for you, cutting things up into small bits is a good idea, and the general rule I follow is if it hurts to chew, I don't eat it. I also found my muscles could fatigue in chewing certain foods as well even though it didn't hurt - sort of similar to what you described, Clencher.

I don't what's going on with my left jaw - I hope its just muscular. My right jaw became significantly worse since the first week of March but then last week I started noticing some pain on my left side of my jaw and I think there is some inflamation so I don't if there is added strain to my left jaw because my right is so messed up now. It seems worse after using it - like talking which is what concerns me (I'm hardly chewing anything). However, I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea so I started trying to sleep on my left side for part of the night since sleeping on your back is really bad for sleep apnea, and I don't know if that is making my left jaw worse, though it doesn't usually feel that bad first thing in the morning. (I can't sleep on my right because my right side of my neck is really sore and my right jaw is sorer than my left). Anyways, I don't what's going on and I'm so frustrated that I can't get into see either my Dentist or my Oral Surgeon until May. I'm going to call again today to see if there is any cancellations - but so far no luck.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
    Mandolyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Canuck, do you take aleve or ibuprofen when it hurts? Or use ice and heat? I noticed using an ice pack on that cheek, then following it with a moist heated rag really helps.
    I sleep on my right side, pretty much all night. I notice when I flip to my back my back hurts- but that is because our mattress is old. My issues are on my left jaw so I don't think they come from sleeping. Just clenching.

I hope you can get in sooner and they can do an exam! You at least need some valium or something for night time right now until you figure out what is going on. If it's grinding or clenching you need a guard/splint to wear to bed.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
    Canuck65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandolyn View Post
    Canuck, do you take aleve or ibuprofen when it hurts? Or use ice and heat? I noticed using an ice pack on that cheek, then following it with a moist heated rag really helps.
    I sleep on my right side, pretty much all night. I notice when I flip to my back my back hurts- but that is because our mattress is old. My issues are on my left jaw so I don't think they come from sleeping. Just clenching.

I hope you can get in sooner and they can do an exam! You at least need some valium or something for night time right now until you figure out what is going on. If it's grinding or clenching you need a guard/splint to wear to bed.
    Mandolyn

I do have night gaurd which I wear at night because I clench and that does help. I'm on a low dose of clonazapam which I think helps a bit but I don't want to increase because it could make my sleep apnea worse (as it acts as a bit of a muscle relaxant). I can't take Aleve - it upsets my stomach. I have tried alternating with ice and heat - it help a little. I do need to be on an anti-imflammatory - and I found Arthotek worked best for me in the past (and didn't upset my stomache) which is why I wanted to see my denist or oral surgeon so i could get a prescription.

Anyways - hanging in. I have other medical issues to worry about too so I'm trying to focus on that.

Thanks for your concern and I hope you are feeling better too.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
    Mandolyn
    Veteran
    (female)

I have good days and bad days- I can tell when I have clenched my teeth the night before because my front teeth are super sensitive. Right now I have NO guard as I am still waiting on my custom one. And I hate sleeping without one. I don't think the 1mg of Xanax before bed is preventing my clenching lately. It does relax me though.

I have stayed off of advil for the past 2 days and am hoping to remain that way today. Yesterday was a good day. I am hoping I don't mess it up today by eating something I shouldn't or yawning and forgetting about it and yawning wide. I am definitely one who would do that. I'm going to workout in a bit. The clicking in the ear when I do any type of cardio is annoying but I've gotten used to it.

Closed Thread