It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• TMJ Surgery #22

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
    Shirlett
    Veteran
    (female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User
    TMJ Surgery #22

Hello All,

I have been out of the loop for a few months. I had surgery October 21, 2013 to replace my left TMJ Concept mandible & condyle implant and have not recovered as I have in the past. Have been unable to get the swelling off the left side of my face even using steroids. Not really sure what has gone wrong. I feel the "new" implant is too big for my face and since I moved the surgery date out from April to October too many changes took place so the new component no longer fits. My opening has gone from 42mm to 7mm. I can no longer chew and the very worst of it is I am in pain again. I have not felt pain like this in years. I have been so depressed, it took 20 TWENTY JAW SURGERIES and I was PAIN FREE for the first time in over 25 years. Still no explanation as to why my left mandible/condylar implant came unscrewed to begin with in February 2013 and even with that unscrewed and slinging around in my face was not causing me pain. The teams are torn. One side says wait until October, give the new implant a year to "settle" the other says take it out before it breaks apart in my face. I say...if it comes out I AM DONE! I will go joint less on the left side. TWENTY TWO jaw surgeries in the past 17 years! I am done! I have had to begin taking pain medication along with muscle relaxers and I am so depressed and freaked out over the pain I have began having anxiety attacks so now I am on medication for that. I got three years of no pain, no medication and better function than I have ever had and it is all gone. The "new" implant is HUGE! For my fellow TMJ Concept family the left mandible/condyle implant is wider than three fingers and heavy. This is just horrid. I know I will not make it until October so I have given myself until the 1st of May and if the pain and discomfort is still going on then I am having it removed and walking away from the surgery table. This is just too much. I remember thinking years ago, three, three surgeries was my limit no more than that. That didn't happen. So for you "newbies" out there surgery SHOULD ALWAYS BE YOUR LAST OPTION! There is no cure and surgery will NOT CURE YOU. Myself along with others have had very good outcomes with the TMJ Concepts but use caution because nothing is forever. I am grateful for the few years I had pain and medication free but at this time I don't think or feel I will ever be in that place again.
    Take care!
    Shirlett

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: Shirlett
    Gretagirl (03-22-2014),Hettie1863 (03-23-2014),MountainReader (03-16-2014),rose066 (03-14-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
    Canuck65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User
    Re: TMJ Surgery #22

So sorry to hear you are going through this. I hope things get better. My heart goes out to you. Take care and hang in. Keep us posted.

The following user gives a hug of support to Canuck65:
    Shirlett (03-23-2014)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck65 For This Useful Post:
    Shirlett (03-23-2014)
    Old 03-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
    Canuck65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Georgek04 View Post
    Shirlett,
    I am so sorry you are having a difficult time with your last surgery. Like you, my recovery since my August 2013 surgery has not been easy. My new prostheses is already mal-positioned and the left mandibular component is lower on the mandible than its intended design position and the condylar head is not contacting the central area of the fossa bearing as intended but is instead making contact on the bearing’s lateral edge. At times the new prostheses feels like it is going to lock when eating, talking, or yawning. Like you, my doctors are split on what to do. In addition, it is felt the infection I had when the new prostheses was put in is still there. I have been running low grade fevers and continuous sinus infections and other pain. Concepts states that they are finding very difficult infections lately around the prostheses that are very difficult to diagnose and are causing similar symptoms as what I am having. The crazy thing is I now have function, (40+mm ROM), but feel horrible. I am going for a consultation appt. for a biopsy for the infection and if there is an infection present the prostheses has to come out again. If there is no infection present, like you, I will have to make a decision on to remove it and have a new prostheses made to fit better or deal with the locking.

Anyway, again I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time. I can truly understand your frustration and I just pray you work things out to get your life back.

I am sending you lots of warm hugs and prayers!!

Karen
    Just wanted to say I'm so sorry. I hope you get better. I'm facing bilateral total joint replacement using TMJ concepts. I have to admit reading all of this scares me.

I hope you can better. Take care.

The following user gives a hug of support to Canuck65:
    Shirlett (03-23-2014)
    Old 03-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
    Anniewhereugo
    (female)

Anniewhereugo HB User

Ditto...ditto....ditto....ditto

Old 06-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
    sarahblue
    (female)

sarahblue HB User

Shirlett I'm so sorry to hear your having a tough time again .I've followed your story through the years . I hope you have improved since your last post . Send a big hug xxx

Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
    mina223
    (female)

mina223 HB Usermina223 HB User

I am so sorry for what you have been through. How are you? Has your team made any decisions on going forward to help you? You mentioned that your implant is huge. Can you tell us a little more about how this happened. I thought TMJ concepts made a joint custom-fit to your face based on CT scan. Am I incorrect about that? Do you think this was somehow error by someone involved in the process. Have you found out any answers about this?

Closed Thread