It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Possible Biofilm Infection-TMJ prosthesis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
    HETTIE
    (female)

HETTIE HB User
    Possible Biofilm Infection-TMJ prosthesis

I had bilateral tmj prosthesis implanted on February 4, 2014. About 10 days after I had one of the IMF screws come out and had to have surgery to replace it and the rubber bands were replaced with ivy loops. Then, about 1 week after that my left ear incision had an infection which was treated with antibiotics. For the last two and one-half weeks I have had these little white pimple looking dots around the area of my left ear incision as well as running low grade fevers and elevated white counts of 16,000 and 18,700. The left side is very sore to touch and gets red and swollen. I had a CT scan done today and am wondering if it comes back negative for any sort of hardware failure or anything is it possible that I could still have an infection that is just not showing up on CT and if so, how is that treated? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
    Canuck65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User
    Re: Possible Biofilm Infection-TMJ prosthesis

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HETTIE View Post
    I had bilateral tmj prosthesis implanted on February 4, 2014. About 10 days after I had one of the IMF screws come out and had to have surgery to replace it and the rubber bands were replaced with ivy loops. Then, about 1 week after that my left ear incision had an infection which was treated with antibiotics. For the last two and one-half weeks I have had these little white pimple looking dots around the area of my left ear incision as well as running low grade fevers and elevated white counts of 16,000 and 18,700. The left side is very sore to touch and gets red and swollen. I had a CT scan done today and am wondering if it comes back negative for any sort of hardware failure or anything is it possible that I could still have an infection that is just not showing up on CT and if so, how is that treated? Does anyone have any experience with this?
    so sorry to hear this - I haven't had any exepience but I do seem to recall some threads where a couple of others were dealing with biofilm infections. Maybe if you do search of the threads you can find it and they have some info.

Hope the CT scan is negative and you feel better soon.

Take care

Marsha

Closed Thread