It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Please help. So depressed and in so much pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
    vincentd1215
    (male)

vincentd1215 HB User
    Unhappy Please help. So depressed and in so much pain

Hi everyone... I really need to talk to somebody. Back in August I had my 2 bottom wisdom teeth removed and a bottom molar on the right side. After that, I started noticing that my bite wasn't the same, all of a sudden I had a slight underbite. 5 months later... the underbite has gotten so much worse, it looks horrible, I suffer from daily depression because of this, I can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore. On top of looking bad, I'm in so much pain. It's coming right from the joints, and I know it's called TMJ... my mouth doesn't open evenly, it's like my lower jaw juts out when I open my mouth. It looks like my jaw has shifted forward and to the side, when I look at myself in the mirror and look at the outline of my face it looks so strange. It feels like someone is constantly pulling my mouth open, constant tightness where my upper and lower jaw meet. I almost have to force my mouth to stay shut and my lips don't meet anymore. My dentist can't do anything to help me (I think he caused this when he pulled my teeth)..all he told me is that I have TMJ and that he would refer me to an oral surgeon but my insurance doesn't cover it ( I have Rhode Island state Medicaid)... So I have absolutely nobody to talk to. I suffer in silence every day and it's just getting worse. I have zero hope, because I don't have any clue what my options are. I'd be willing to set up some type of payment plan but I don't know how much this would all cost without insurance, I'd imagine it would be insanely expensive and I don't even work right now. I'm so depressed over this that I find myself thinking about death, just because I can't picture going through the rest of my life looking and feeling like this. I'm only 26 years old. I'm so alone in this because I can't relate to anyone with this. Please help, any suggestions would be extremely appreciated. .

The following user gives a hug of support to vincentd1215:
    rose066 (01-20-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
    Canuck65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User
    Re: Please help. So depressed and in so much pain

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vincentd1215 View Post
    Hi everyone... I really need to talk to somebody. Back in August I had my 2 bottom wisdom teeth removed and a bottom molar on the right side. After that, I started noticing that my bite wasn't the same, all of a sudden I had a slight underbite. 5 months later... the underbite has gotten so much worse, it looks horrible, I suffer from daily depression because of this, I can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore. On top of looking bad, I'm in so much pain. It's coming right from the joints, and I know it's called TMJ... my mouth doesn't open evenly, it's like my lower jaw juts out when I open my mouth. It looks like my jaw has shifted forward and to the side, when I look at myself in the mirror and look at the outline of my face it looks so strange. It feels like someone is constantly pulling my mouth open, constant tightness where my upper and lower jaw meet. I almost have to force my mouth to stay shut and my lips don't meet anymore. My dentist can't do anything to help me (I think he caused this when he pulled my teeth)..all he told me is that I have TMJ and that he would refer me to an oral surgeon but my insurance doesn't cover it ( I have Rhode Island state Medicaid)... So I have absolutely nobody to talk to. I suffer in silence every day and it's just getting worse. I have zero hope, because I don't have any clue what my options are. I'd be willing to set up some type of payment plan but I don't know how much this would all cost without insurance, I'd imagine it would be insanely expensive and I don't even work right now. I'm so depressed over this that I find myself thinking about death, just because I can't picture going through the rest of my life looking and feeling like this. I'm only 26 years old. I'm so alone in this because I can't relate to anyone with this. Please help, any suggestions would be extremely appreciated. .
    I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering so much. YOu say you think your dentist caused these problems when he extracted your teeth - have you consulted a lawyer about a malpractice law suit ? If he/she was negligent perhaps you could get some money to fund treatment for your TMJ. There is a very good clinic at Tufts University at Boston - perhaps they would be willing to see you for a consultation and accept a payment plan. I also know of two other good dentists at Boston Hospital who maybe worth going for a consultation. Take care and don't give up hope. For your depression does medicaid cover any antidepressants? Or consutlation with psychiatrists? Take care and don't despair.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
    debtmj
    (female)

debtmj HB User

Hi, Please don't give up. I have been looking for help on a low income too. I am on medicare, so I know there may be some differences. If you can get your Dentist to write a perscription for muscle pain you can see a physical therapist. Have you checked to see if their are any physical therapist in your area that work with TMJ patients.

There are also some good videos on your tube, I was so desprate for relief, I looked up physical therapy for THJ. There is one guy that is a massage therapist that had some great videos, I did the massages that he demonstrated and I had relief (until I ate dinner and triggered my TMJ again) but at least I have some hope and some tools I can use until I see my Dentist next week to get my teeth cleaned and get her to write a perscription for physical therapy for muscle strain.

Have you tried distracting the pain with Ice 20 min, heat 20 min, 20 with out ice or heat then repeat. I found some relief.

Generic Valum is fairly inexpensive. My doctor has me on it with advil to help with the cycle of pain. He said you have to calm the muscule and reduce the pain and inflamation to help break the cycle.

Please forgive my terrible spelling.
    Write me back and ask anything you like. I am 51 and will be happy to listen. I'll be there for you, and let you know any new info I find out.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
    avandalay
    (female)

avandalay HB User

I hope you can get some relief. I have tried massage, mouth guard, moist heat. I am still suffering, but hoping it will get better.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:13 AM   #5
    Gretagirl
    Inactive
    (female)

Gretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vincentd1215 View Post

Old 01-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #6
    Gretagirl
    Inactive
    (female)

Gretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB User

Hang in there. This happens more times than any of us know.
    At least the dentist didn't try and fix it himself which can make it much worse if he doesn't know what he is doing.
    My advise would be don't let anyone else touch any of your other teeth until there is a plan you understand. You will need someone that understands tmj to build you a splint and then maybe restore your teeth to hold your back teeth properly in your mouth. Don't rush this step, any permanent step may make it worse. Going to the out of state Hospitals Canuck mentioned may be much less expensive then private practice care, actually. At least something to check out.
    P.T. Exercises, ice and heat do help somewhat in the meantime.
    I know when you are feeling so down, it is hard to go find whatever aid or help there is out there for you but you must get mad to find the energy to get better.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
    x12000
    (male)

x12000 HB User

I've heard good things about David Keith in Boston.

Reply Reply

Tags
    dental, depression, jaw, pain, tmj