It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board

• newbie with TS

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
    blackbeanmike
    (male)

blackbeanmike HB User
    newbie with TS

I am an adult with Tourette's syndrome. It is way less noticeable as an adult than it was when I was a child. The comorbids adhd/ocd/anxiety cause more issues I think these day's than the TS itself.

I use alternative methods to decrease the frequency of tics, to good effect. I was wondering if any other adults with TS do this, or if you all use prescription drugs, or just go with nothing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
    jrctherake66
    (male)

jrctherake66 HB User
    Re: newbie with TS

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbeanmike View Post
    I am an adult with Tourette's syndrome. It is way less noticeable as an adult than it was when I was a child. The comorbids adhd/ocd/anxiety cause more issues I think these day's than the TS itself.

I use alternative methods to decrease the frequency of tics, to good effect. I was wondering if any other adults with TS do this, or if you all use prescription drugs, or just go with nothing?
    You are lucky in that your tic are less noticeable. Some (like me) have severe tics just as we did when we was teens and younger. As a matter of fact my tics are worse now than they was when I was a teen.

As for anxiety....etc.........I'm pretty sure 99% of the adult ts patients suffer more from the anxiety, panic, odc...etc.. than the ts as you said.

As for meds...........well, as you can imagine that will vary from one to another but my educated guess/experience is that most take meds to control the tics but concentrate more on the anxiety, ocd....etc....when it comes to meds.

BTW, most all of the meds that treat anxiety, ocd etc.....have been known to treat the mild cases of tics. The more severe cases of tics almost always have to be treated by unrelated meds compared to anxiety/ocd/depression.

In my experience more and more adult ts patients are using non-drug treatments (habit reversal, surgery.......other types of therapy) to handle/cope with their tics.

IMO.......the meds used to treat tics do far more damage to our bodies than good. I would NEVER advise anyone to take meds for tics if they can live/function with them. The anxiety, ocd, depression..etc...is another story.

Some may not agree but that is what I think as someone that has had severe GTS for almost 50 years.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
    tokinouta
    (female)

tokinouta HB Usertokinouta HB Usertokinouta HB User
    Re: newbie with TS

So you mean alternative therapy or giggle smoke? I've been hearing about the later lately and wondering if it's helpful.

My son does some alternative therapy like transferring tics. Works pretty well for now.

Reply Reply