It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board

Diagnosis

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
Novella1121
(female)

Novella1121 HB User
Diagnosis

Hi is the mri the only test they have to diagnose Tn? What other tests are there pease

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Diagnisis

That's pretty much it beyond the symptoms. The MRI can show the damaged places along the nerve.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:51 AM   #3
Novella1121
(female)

Novella1121 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
That's pretty much it beyond the symptoms. The MRI can show the damaged places along the nerve.

Thank you can thr mri be normal and still diagnose with tn and what are the symptoms please and thank you

Old 12-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If it wasn't a quality MRI or the TN was a result of MS, it can be hard to tell. Special MRIs are done then. As for symptoms, the list is available many places online but usually include random left side facial pain anywhere from the temple to the jaw. Cold air on the affected area can cause an episode. The facial pain association has a great deal of information.

Last edited by Titchou; 12-11-2016 at 06:01 AM.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Novella1121
(female)

Novella1121 HB User

Quote:
If it wasn't a quality MRI or the TN was a result of MS, it can be hard to tell. Special MRIs are done then. As for symptoms, the list is available many places online but usually include random left side facial pain anywhere from the temple to the jaw. Cold air on the affected area can cause an episode. The facial pain association has a great deal of information.

Thank you for responding can it be on the right side and or both sides.
I am going to get Mri with contrast .
What are special mri

Old 12-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Just the left side as the trigeminal nerve runs on that side of the face. And there is some sort of a higher resolution MRI that they use for MS patients to find the locations along the nerve. Their TN is different from others. You don't say what your symptoms are so it's a little difficult to compare. But people who have TN due to congenital reasons have a malformation of the nerve normally at the loop on the right rear side of the head behind the ear. Damage there will cause the pain on the left side since that is where that nerve runs. TN can also be caused by injury anyhwere along the trigeminal nerve.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
Novella1121
(female)

Novella1121 HB User

Quote:
Just the left side as the trigeminal nerve runs on that side of the face. And there is some sort of a higher resolution MRI that they use for MS patients to find the locations along the nerve. Their TN is different from others. You don't say what your symptoms are so it's a little difficult to compare. But people who have TN due to congenital reasons have a malformation of the nerve normally at the loop on the right rear side of the head behind the ear. Damage there will cause the pain on the left side since that is where that nerve runs. TN can also be caused by injury anyhwere along the trigeminal nerve.

HI I am I posting in the board. You mentioned ms. Sorry if I am posting in the wrong section if I am can you please let me kniw

Old 12-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

I was just including the TN caused by MS along with TN caused by other conditions as TN doesn't just have one cause and can be anywhere along the trigeminal nerve. Perhaps it would be helpful for you to find a drawing of the head with the trigeminal nerve showing so that you understand where it is and where it goes?

Old 09-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
Jellingsen

Jellingsen HB User
Angry Re: Diagnisis

Mine started one evening while watching tv and eating dinner. An approaching storm and lightning from the south was just starting. suddenly I experienced severe facial burning on the left side of my face and top or head. Simultaneously my heart started racing and skipping beats so bad my blood pressure monitor wouldn't read it. Just kept coming up error.
I believe I was targeted by some kind of directed energy weapon which also caused the lightning flash. this lightning only flashed in the cloud and didn't have an associated report like lightning usually does. It could be ulrasonic in nature or laser, or directed high freq. radio wave or targeting radar.
After leaving the house and got about a mile away, things normalized except I have been left with a permanent burning, tingling on left side of face, jaw and head. Remenber the Cuban diplomats and also the mysterious death of blackbirds in North Louisiana near Arkansas border near army base and I forget somewhere else in the South, I believe Fla or Georgia.

Reply Reply