It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board

Trigeminal Nueralgia and Denture

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2006, 01:42 AM   #1
wits end 47
(female)

wits end 47 HB User
Question Trigeminal Nueralgia and Denture

I had my top teeth pulled on Sept. 19, 2005 and a denture made. While having the denture in I am in constant pain on the back right side and the palate area.. Wondering if anyone has had this happen to them. Never had any problems with this kind of pain before I had my teeth pulled. Mainly experience the pain when the denture is in, although sometimes my gums will hurt for awhile after I take my denture out. My oral surgeon and dentist can not find anything wrong so will be going to a neurologist on Oct. 9th.. My oral surgeon prescribed a muscle relaxer to take before I go to bed and 600 mg Ibuprofen every 6 to 8 hours for pain. The Ibuprofen doesn't help at all. Does this sound like Trigeminal Nueralgia?? Has anyone experienced this? Thanks for any information anyone can give me.

Shirley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 11:20 PM   #2
Thelma-Louise
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Trigeminal Nueralgia and Denture

My understanding of trigeinal neuralgia is that it is a nerve that runs from the tmj joint near the temple down across the side of the face and radiates along either the upper or lower jaw bone - not really near or on the palate, although I may be mistaken. It sounds more like your upper denture is pressing or causing pressure on your upper palate and right side - especially since most of the pain eases when the denture is removed. The neuralgia you are referring to is generally a chronic pain although its intensity may vary during the day and night it is pretty much continuous pain. Tegretol (sp?) is usually prescribed to treat it or relax the nerve so you may want to try it.

Closed Thread