It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board

Gamma Knife radiosurgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
PesCav
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User
Gamma Knife radiosurgery

Hi, new to this board. My DH was just diagnosed with TN, and I am curious to know if anyone has had gamma knife radiosurgery for treatment. If you had this procedure, did it work? What was it like? Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Gamma Knife radiosurgery

I've known a couple of people who had it and reported good outcomes. My sister had the decompression surgery at the Facial Pain Clinic at Presbyterian Hospital at the U of Pittsburgh where it was invented and she has totally recovered. Pittsburgh isn't that far for you. Or you could check for a facial pain assoc approved neuro in your area.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
rjminick
(male)

rjminick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I've known a couple of people who had it and reported good outcomes. My sister had the decompression surgery at the Facial Pain Clinic at Presbyterian Hospital at the U of Pittsburgh where it was invented and she has totally recovered. Pittsburgh isn't that far for you. Or you could check for a facial pain assoc approved neuro in your area.
I have a question about this procedure. Did they actually find anything in her MCI/images? I've had MRI's (with and without contrast) of my head, thoracic and lumbar (back issues too) yet they have found nothing as far as my burning eye pain goes. I'm thinking of having a doctor that does this procedure as well as the cyber knife look at my images and see.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, hers showed on her MRI. And she had the classic symptoms. It was borne out in the surgery that this was exactly her problem.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
justagirl37
(female)

justagirl37 HB User

Often times compressions are not seen on an MRI and are only seen once you are in surgery.
MVD (Microvascular Decompression Surgery) is the only one that offers the possibility of a complete recovery. If you have other treatments done that damage or compromise the nerve (such as gamma knife) it decreases your odds of success with MVD.
Look up Dr. Ken Casey in the States...he is the leader of MVD. Not everyone with TN is a candidate for MVD, especially those with Type 2.

Closed Thread